2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Gunler to me is the kid who could be one of the best players to come out of this draft, or be the guy everyone keeps hoping to "unlock" until he finally leaves North America.

The goal scoring ability is there, he can almost will the puck where he wants it to go. Great shot, great instincts on how to read the offensive flow of the game, he's got a little swagger to his play.

There are three concerns most people seem to bring up with him:

1. His attitude

2. His consistency with utilizing his skills.

3. What he can do outside of scoring pretty goals.

To those points, I think he plays a somewhat immature game and is going to have adjust as he faces stiffer competition. Thus far, there's a feeling that he hasn't always done that, and things only get more difficult from here. His ability to grasp the concept of putting forth a more consistent effort and understanding that playing against adults is going to require work will make or break his career moving forward. I don't think he has a bad attitude, so much as the game has always come somewhat easy for him and now he has to start putting in some work and adapting.

I don't see him cracking the top 10, but he's pretty easily a candidate for the next 10 picks or so.

Gunler is the most interesting talent in this draft in my opinion. His numbers are comparable with Holtz and Raymond both this season and last season (don’t forget to count his champions league play this season where he scored 4 goals).

Lulea is pretty strong and they’ve shafted him with limited ice time this season. His production per minute is actually pretty excellent compared to other top 10 forwards drafted out of the SHL.

We all knew about his cannon of a shot but from the little I’ve watched and everything I’ve read, he’s become much more of a complete player this season. There also haven’t been any new rumblings about his attitude issues.

If those big names in your top 9 are off the board and we pick in the 10-15 range, he’s my guy. Maybe even as high as 8.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Just wondering if NYR should this year. I know we all go through this point every season, but it logically makes sense for NYR to do so, if they're not in the top 10, IMO.

isn't the draft supposed to be deep way beyond the top 10? what are you getting back??

for me if we never trade away another 1st round pick it will be too soon

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
isn't the draft supposed to be deep way beyond the top 10? what are you getting back??

for me if we never trade away another 1st round pick it will be too soon

Probably because I'm not a huge fan of this defensive class outside of Drysdale and Schneider. The forwards to help compensate the 1st round, aren't that deep, IMO.

Reactions: Leetch3

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
I'm definitely on the Rossi bandwagon after last night as well. Guy is beyond smart. But if we fall in the 6-15 range Connor Zary might be worth it had a game worth talking about last night too. Imho for as much as I want Byfield he hasnt looked impressive at all as of late

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I'm definitely on the Rossi bandwagon after last night as well. Guy is beyond smart. But if we fall in the 6-15 range Connor Zary might be worth it had a game worth talking about last night too. Imho for as much as I want Byfield he hasnt looked impressive at all as of late

Wasn’t Byfield’s first game back from the WJC a 5 pointer?

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Saw potential promising NCAA UDFA Drew O'Connor last night in Hanover for the Dartmouth-SLU game. Has decent vision for a guy who likes to shoot the puck, OK skating (Though the NCAA game is slower and more cynical so it's often tough to tell.) Looked like he might be worth an offer since our club is so short on forward prospect depth.

Also got to meet Tanner Glass, Ben Lovejoy, and Lee Stempniak, doing an NHL big green alumni night. Glass is awesome. I resisted the urge to ask why Hugh Jessiman couldn't make it.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Saw potential promising NCAA UDFA Drew O'Connor last night in Hanover for the Dartmouth-SLU game. Has decent vision for a guy who likes to shoot the puck, OK skating (Though the NCAA game is slower and more cynical so it's often tough to tell.) Looked like he might be worth an offer since our club is so short on forward prospect depth.

Also got to meet Tanner Glass, Ben Lovejoy, and Lee Stempniak, doing an NHL big green alumni night. Glass is awesome. I resisted the urge to ask why Hugh Jessiman couldn't make it.
I have nothing to add except I fully support the team name "Big Green".

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
BioSteel All-American Game is about to start on the NHL Network.

it’s a showcase game for all the top American Born draft eligibles.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
How often is a draft class ever honestly considered weak going in to it? Maybe 2012? I feel like every year going in to the draft is "an extremely deep draft class" with "high caliber players available even in the 2nd round." Then once everyone fizzles out it turns to "Oh, well this was always going to be a weak draft, there were never any real star players..but NEXT year's draft is supposed to be extremely deep."

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How often is a draft class ever honestly considered weak going in to it? Maybe 2012? I feel like every year going in to the draft is "an extremely deep draft class" with "high caliber players available even in the 2nd round." Then once everyone fizzles out it turns to "Oh, well this was always going to be a weak draft, there were never any real star players..but NEXT year's draft is supposed to be extremely deep."

2017 was a weak draft

Reactions: Off Sides

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Well, the strength or weakness of a draft should be determined on draft day, in my opinion. Chytil and Nečas were decent prospects on draft day, but by no means considered making the draft stronger. It was a weak draft with a clear cut off after 6
Oh, I know.

I’m just pleased the Rangers walked away with one of the two after falling just outside the cutoff.

(Note: we still have obviously seen Glass play meaningful minutes in the NHL. It may yet prove to be a 5 player draft...)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Oh, I know.

I’m just pleased the Rangers walked away with one of the two after falling just outside the cutoff.

(Note: we still have obviously seen Glass play meaningful minutes in the NHL. It may yet prove to be a 5 player draft...)

On draft day, the cut off was at 6. Almost 3 years later, that hasn't really changed. If anything, Chytil and Nečas have replaced Glass and Patrick in that top 6

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
If the season were to end today, the Rangers would finish at No. 7. Seeing that the lottery goes south that pick will most likely be No. 8, 9 or 10 (mostly No. 9, but I'll be optimistic for No. 8). At those spots, who would you pick?

IMO, seeing if Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Askarov, Perfetti, Holtz & Rossi are off the board, I would pick Lundell. It would be difficult to not pick Raymond or Drysdale there, but Lundell has been consistently playing in a mens league for 2 seasons now, this year proving to better his production. He can play all 3 forward position and has a big body. Think he could become a solid top 6 forward with the potential to be a 1C.

Reactions: Lion Hound

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
If the season were to end today, the Rangers would finish at No. 7. Seeing that the lottery goes south that pick will most likely be No. 8, 9 or 10 (mostly No. 9, but I'll be optimistic for No. 8). At those spots, who would you pick?

IMO, seeing if Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Askarov, Perfetti, Holtz & Rossi are off the board, I would pick Lundell. It would be difficult to not pick Raymond or Drysdale there, but Lundell has been consistently playing in a mens league for 2 seasons now, this year proving to better his production. He can play all 3 forward position and has a big body. Think he could become a solid top 6 forward with the potential to be a 1C.

I love Lundell but I would prefer a potential Panarin 2.0. I would be absolutely shocked if Raymond was picked lower than 7th in the draft. I have him at 4, with a solid gap between him and the next wave.

Lafreniere

Stutzle
Byfield

Raymond

Rossi
Holtz
Lundell
Gunler
Perfetti
Drysdale

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

That’s fine as long as we don’t rush him over.

Reactions: Joey Bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad