2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am really looking forward to seeing what Byfield does this season.

Having said that, I can see Lundell potentially becoming my "favorite" prospect in this draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leetch3 and jas

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
If we somehow get Lafreniere that's cool. Not that I'm saying we will but if you get a chance you take him. That said, most likely if I am the Rangers I always look BPA and that may very well be a winger or defenseman but if let's say I'm in the top 5 and I wanted to get the guy that is most like Zegras/Keller/Pettersson or that style of very talented aggressive playmaking center who would it be in this draft? The Rangers have showed me they have the eye for the kind of player I absolutely love and I wonder who it is this year. In another forum some dude told me the guy that sounds most like that style is German center Tim Stutzle. Anyone know anything about him or guys like him?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Thanks for all the great replies from not just you but the others in here as well. I feel quite a bit smarter now about what's upcoming for next year as far as prospects are concerned. I obviously need to do some research on my own but from the info from you and the rest of the fellas, it's a heck of a start so thx for that.

A follow up question comes up for me and it's this: let's say hypothetically unlike this past year where the hockey gods smiled upon us and gave us the #2 overall and obviously Hughes or Kakko, what is the highest in the standings we can finish in order for us to get an elite prospect again.?

For instance, from your list, it seems like if we somehow made the playoffs this year which by they way I don't think is total fantasy and out of the question, it sounds like we still would have a chance to draft a pretty damn good player but it won't be elite...does that sound right?

Finishing something like 10th in the conference tho at least from your list pretty much guarantees us an elite prospect...does that sound right?

This is going to be a fascinating year for us fans seeing I would really love to for us to be right there fighting for a playoff spot. However, if we don't make it, it sure seems that we'd get a heck of a player next year at the draft....so maybe I shouldn't want us to make the playoffs which is kind of weird for me to do but if necessary and it helps us down the road, I guess I'll do it.

Oh the conundrum of being a Ranger fan...it always is...lol

I tend to agree. I think this upcoming team with the talent brought in will indeed try to keep NYR competitive. I don't think it's out of the question to see this young NYR team in the playoffs!!

With that said, with looking at the 2020 crop as of now, I'd say around the 11-12 mark there might be a slight dropoff. But it's another draft with a very very high end top 10!! Don't think there'll be a lot of movement in regards to the dropout. It's of course very, rather extremely, likely that things will change. It's very early into their draft year.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I am really looking forward to seeing what Byfield does this season.

Having said that, I can see Lundell potentially becoming my "favorite" prospect in this draft.

Tend to agree. Byfield's tenacity is what makes him exciting. Seems like one of those players who pressures and is very good at it. Once the puck is on his stick, forget about it!!

Lundell is going to be underrated by a lot. Does the little things right with a touch of skill. Perfect blend, IMO.

:popcorn:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Byfield is scary. The kid won't even be 17 for another couple of months. He's already 6'4, already over 210 pounds, and already forcing teams to adjust to him out there. He's also just starting to really tap into all the potential he possesses.

There's a kid who, on the same roster as Kakko and the other players we have, would make me say, "NOW we have the high-end talent we need to begin the next phase."

He's a kid I won't even allow myself to day dream about having in a Rangers uniform.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Byfield is scary. The kid won't even be 17 for another couple of months. He's already 6'4, already over 210 pounds, and already forcing teams to adjust to him out there. He's also just starting to really tap into all the potential he possesses.

There's a kid who, on the same roster as Kakko and the other players we have, would make me say, "NOW we have the high-end talent we need to begin the next phase."

He's a kid I won't even allow myself to day dream about having in a Rangers uniform.
Did you dream about Kakko? :P

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Amen. He’s the guy I’ve wanted since I first checked out the early lists for top players last spring.

And to have him with Kakko...?

Homer-drooling.gif.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I get this weird pit in my stomach watching Byfield thinking "there's no way he'll get away with that in the NHL". He had plenty of time to change my mind, but I feel uneasy thinking about him.

My way too early top 10 is

1. Lafreniere
2. Raymond
3. Lundell
4. Holtz
5. Byfield
6. Gunler
7. Drysdale
8. Rossi
9. Peretti
10. Barron

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I typically don’t.

But I definitely become as familiar as possible with what they bring.

IMO, 2020 is the final part of this chapter for the Rangers.

Gimme that Dallas pick. Gimme a top two pick.

Let’s build the team of the 2020s.
I don't think the Dallas pick is going to come to fruition, but I'm no longer rooting for a tank honestly, not after seeing how big of a clusterf*** the lottery is. I much rather see us fight to the bitter end and see our young talent develop and produce versus straight out sucking ass. I feel as if the universe rewarded us with Kakko for us never tanking last season.

Reactions: Maximus

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't think the Dallas pick is going to come to fruition, but I'm no longer rooting for a tank honestly, not after seeing how big of a cluster**** the lottery is. I much rather see us fight to the bitter end and see our young talent develop and produce versus straight out sucking ass. I feel as if the universe rewarded us with Kakko for us never tanking last season.

I think you’ll more or less see the same this season.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Kakko-Byfield-Kravtsov
Panarin-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Chytil-Barron-Lemieux
Andersson-Howden-Gettinger

Miller-Trouba
Hajek-Fox
Rykov-ADA/Lundkvist/Keane

I know it likely won’t work out that way, but it’s not THAT far off. Almost makes me tempted to keep Kreider over potentially signing Panarin, just to have yet another monster on the team. Heck, go crazy and imagine Robertson instead of Hajek, Skinner as 3RD, and Edström as 4th line C with Howden displacing Andersson at LW. :laugh:

EDIT: Was I the only one stunned to see Barron listed at 6’4”, 210lbs on the development camp roster? I always thought he had good size, but never thought he was THAT imposing. How much did he grow/gain from his draft vitals?

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I don't think the Dallas pick is going to come to fruition, but I'm no longer rooting for a tank honestly, not after seeing how big of a cluster**** the lottery is. I much rather see us fight to the bitter end and see our young talent develop and produce versus straight out sucking ass. I feel as if the universe rewarded us with Kakko for us never tanking last season.

if you watched last year, the team will fight till the bitter end...thats how david quinn roles, but that doesn't mean we won't be bad

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kakko-Byfield-Kravtsov
Panarin-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Chytil-Barron-Lemieux
Andersson-Howden-Gettinger

Miller-Trouba
Hajek-Fox
Rykov-ADA/Lundkvist/Keane

I know it likely won’t work out that way, but it’s not THAT far off. Almost makes me tempted to keep Kreider over potentially signing Panarin, just to have yet another monster on the team. Heck, go crazy and imagine Robertson instead of Hajek, Skinner as 3RD, and Edström as 4th line C with Howden displacing Andersson at LW. :laugh:

EDIT: Was I the only one stunned to see Barron listed at 6’4”, 210lbs on the development camp roster? I always thought he had good size, but never thought he was THAT imposing. How much did he grow/gain from his draft vitals?

If he’s a legit 6’4, that would be about 2 inches since being drafted. Which is well within the realm of possibility.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010

Ya man I can’t wait to see Byfield next year. His upside appears limitless. The dude is basically a full year younger than Lafreniere. I could easily see him challenging for the 1 spot.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This is going to be the strongest drafts in a long time. I've heard the hype since 2016 so I would definitely stack up the picks.

The top end talent is great, but there's going to be a lot of scorers coming out.

A couple of guys I know like Rossi, Perfetto, Gunler, Raymond as top line players. That's after the top guys.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
If we end up with Byfield this team will likely win multiple cups, the same way we likely would have won multiple cups if we landed Lindros in '92.

This is what I wrote last summer, if we did not end up with Kakko, it probably would have come true:

McRanger said:
When we miss out on a top 5 pick and end up with Cozens, I am going to be thrilled.

So this summer it's: when we miss out on a top 5 pick and up with Lundell, I am going to be thrilled.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
@Lays and I will be your regular-season Cole Perfetti hype crew. We will not be taking any questions at this time. Thank you.

Reactions: Lays

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
If we end up with Byfield this team will likely win multiple cups, the same way we likely would have won multiple cups if we landed Lindros in '92.

This is what I wrote last summer, if we did not end up with Kakko, it probably would have come true:

So this summer it's: when we miss out on a top 5 pick and up with Lundell, I am going to be thrilled.
Hard to argue with a center that just put up .5 PPG in Liiga in his D-1 season

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
@Lays and I will be your regular-season Cole Perfetti hype crew. We will not be taking any questions at this time. Thank you.
I’ll be seeing a whole lot of Dylan Holloway this season by way of watching Miller at Wisconsin (assuming Holloway doesn’t decide to go play for the Winnipeg Ice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad