Prospect Info: 2020 4th Rd Selection - #106th OA - G Artur Akhtyamov (RUS) - 6'2 170

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
i dont mind the pick but honestly i would not have wasted a pick in this draft on a goalie.... spam a bunch of defensmane so you have a larger chance for one of them to pan out
We need defensemen now, not in 5 years when one of them finally develops. There's no telling what our needs will be in 5 years...that's why it's highly discouraged to draft based on current positional need.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
No space for goalies on the Marlies with Woll and Scott coming through so it makes sense to grab a European goalie
I worry about Scott with how inactive he is during these key developmental years. He didn’t play a single game this season and who know when next season will start.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
We need defensemen now, not in 5 years when one of them finally develops. There's no telling what our needs will be in 5 years...that's why it's highly discouraged to draft based on current positional need.

i never said that .... our defensive prospect pool is awful .. we will need them in 5 years either way

Reactions: Faltorvo

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
His movement reminds me of Gustavsson. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I liked Gustavsson, and the monster had tons of potential, but he was never taught to control his movements which made him not succeed. If he can be taught to control his movements, he will end up a good goalie.

I was thinking Mrazek as a comparison

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
The Leafs have the best Russian scouting in the league supposedly so gotta hope they saw something great here

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic, we’ve been awful at drafting from Russia recently. Kizimov, Kara, Chebykin, Dzierkals haven’t shown anything. Korshkov looks alright. Hope we nailed it this year with them though.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic, we’ve been awful at drafting from Russia recently. Kizimov, Kara, Chebykin, Dzierkals haven’t shown anything. Korshkov looks alright. Hope we nailed it this year with them though.

Zaitsev, Mikheyev, Lehtonen we all players the Leafs scouted for years. Hasnt translated to the amateur ranks yet though.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
For those who know Russian hockey what separates Akhtyamov from Askarov?

Seems like Akhtyamov had better numbers at the same age, albeit smaller sample.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Wasn't sure what to think about the pick but his movement and positioning looks pretty damn good already.

Reactions: Morgs

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Artur Akhtyamov

bLcK8Me.png

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
i never said that .... our defensive prospect pool is awful .. we will need them in 5 years either way

Given that defenceman make up about 1/3 of a team I'd say that's roughly the percentage of out good prospects are defenceman which is what you'd want.

Sandin/Robertson/Liljegren/Amirov 2/4
Hallander/Abramov/Abruzzese/Kokkonen/Hirvonen/Niemela 2/6
Lehtonen/Barabonov 1/2
Scott/Woll/Villeneuve/SDA 1/4

That's 6 of 16 are defencemen. That's an acceptable proportion. Perhaps the D are further along so the 18/19 aged portion looks very weak. But as a whole if the D is weak then so is the F and G.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Given that defenceman make up about 1/3 of a team I'd say that's roughly the percentage of out good prospects are defenceman which is what you'd want.

Sandin/Robertson/Liljegren/Amirov 2/4
Hallander/Abramov/Abruzzese/Kokkonen/Hirvonen/Niemela 2/6
Lehtonen/Barabonov 1/2
Scott/Woll/Villeneuve/SDA 1/4

That's 6 of 16 are defencemen. That's an acceptable proportion. Perhaps the D are further along so the 18/19 aged portion looks very weak. But as a whole if the D is weak then so is the F and G.

that is clearly the incorrect way of looking at your current prospect pool ... first lehtonen and barb are not prospects, second remove the players that will likely graduate this year, third actually rank them in full. Do this and ...

you will see that the team might have at most 2 dmen prospects in there top 15 maybe even 1 ... its a subjective list but there will not be alot there

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
that is clearly the incorrect way of looking at your current prospect pool ... first lehtonen and barb are not prospects, second remove the players that will likely graduate this year, third actually rank them in full. Do this and ...

you will see that the team might have at most 2 dmen prospects in there top 15 maybe even 1 ... its a subjective list but there will not be alot there

Even if you manipulate the list with that criteria I see at least 3 in Kokkonen, Niemela, and Villenueve.

I don't understand why we're removing the not yet graduated guys though. Does Sandin and Liljegren playing in the NHL next year make it more likely we're going to need defenceman in the future than if they start to stagnate a little bit and stay in the AHL for another year? We still control them until they're 27 either way which is 6 and 7 years away.

Similar question for Lehtonen. We have a young defenceman, regardless of whether he's on a prospect list or not having him in the system reduces the need for a defenceman in the future if he works out. I obviously didn't include Dermott, but the same logic holds there. A team with Dermott needs 1 less D for the next 5 years than a team without Dermott and that doesn't show up on prospect lists.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Even if you manipulate the list with that criteria I see at least 3 in Kokkonen, Niemela, and Villenueve.

I don't understand why we're removing the not yet graduated guys though. Does Sandin and Liljegren playing in the NHL next year make it more likely we're going to need defenceman in the future than if they start to stagnate a little bit and stay in the AHL for another year? We still control them until they're 27 either way which is 6 and 7 years away.

Similar question for Lehtonen. We have a young defenceman, regardless of whether he's on a prospect list or not having him in the system reduces the need for a defenceman in the future if he works out. I obviously didn't include Dermott, but the same logic holds there. A team with Dermott needs 1 less D for the next 5 years than a team without Dermott and that doesn't show up on prospect lists.

lehtonen is 26 hes not a prospect. can people stop calling him a prospect .. hes 3 years older than dermott ..... is calle rosen still a prospect ?

you remove graduating guys because they are no longer in your prospect pool ... thats the way i look at it. just because you have some guys that graduated this year , that doesnt mean you dont need defense in 2 or 3 years. Sure its less likely but defensemen are one of the most valuable positions in the organization. Not only for organization strenghth but also as trade chips and cap relief because they cost less.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

No sarcasm, former Kings scout Mike Futa on the Sportsnet broadcast stated it during the first round. Something about the Leafs having hired the best scout in all of Russia....didn't catch the name though but I'm sure others caught it. Not sure how long he's been employed by the Leafs though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
For those who know Russian hockey what separates Akhtyamov from Askarov?

Seems like Akhtyamov had better numbers at the same age, albeit smaller sample.

Askarov is 8 months younger.

Askarov has been an International Star his entire life, while Akhtyamov has never been on an International team.

Askarov was playing in the VHL this year, which is extremely rare for people his age, while Akhtyamov played in the MHL, which lacks parity and is easy to artificially inflate your stats (he only had a 5-6-0 record and a .912 against good teams).

Askarov is a lot more refined and gifted both technically and physically.

The stats are deceiving, but at least we have him for like 10 years before his rights expire so it is plenty of time for him to become the first Russian goalie without serious International exposure to make the NHL in a long time (if not forever).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
lehtonen is 26 hes not a prospect. can people stop calling him a prospect .. hes 3 years older than dermott ..... is calle rosen still a prospect ?

you remove graduating guys because they are no longer in your prospect pool ... thats the way i look at it. just because you have some guys that graduated this year , that doesnt mean you dont need defense in 2 or 3 years. Sure its less likely but defensemen are one of the most valuable positions in the organization. Not only for organization strenghth but also as trade chips and cap relief because they cost less.

Personally I don't remove guys until they graduate. We don't know what the future holds. Are you removing Robertson too? I think it's more likely he's here all season than either Sandin or Lilejgren given we have 4 D for the bottom pair. I get the point on Lehtonen and Barabonov, prospect label or not, if they're not good enough now they're literally irrelevant. But I don't agree on the graduating next year thing.

Even if we did remove them 3 it's still 3/11 and I think the next batch is some combination of Korshkov, Hollowell, Kral, Brooks, Rasanen, Koster, Ovchinnikov, and Miettinen. So 4 of the next 8 would also be D for me. I don't think D ios any weaker than the F or G side of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad