Prospect Info: 2020 4th Rd Selection - #106th OA - G Artur Akhtyamov (RUS) - 6'2 170

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I hope its time one of these ovs pans out lmao

edit: Amirov is an ov too

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Some impressive VHL and MHL numbers.

6'2 and 170lbs according to eliteprospects

No idea why they like Artur over Jan but the Leafs seem to have taken a liking to Russians.

toronto-maple-leafs.png
Artur Akhtyamov
Kazan (Rus Jr.)
G6'1167
detroit-red-wings.png
Jan Bednar
Sokolov (Cze2)
G6'4196
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
MHL numbers at 17:

Vasilevsky - 27 gp, .931 sv%
Sorokin - 27 gp, .914 sv%
Shestyorkin - 15 gp, .920 sv%
Akhtyamov - 54 gp, .921 sv%

MHL numbers at 18:

Vasilevsky - 27 gp, .930 sv%
Sorokin - 4 gp, .917 sv% (Sorokin played 27 KHL games with a .911 sv%)
Shestyorkin - 23 gp, .947 sv% (Also played 9 KHL games with a .903sv%)
Akhtyamov - 46 gp, .931 sv%

Some pretty damn good numbers comparatively.

Last edited:

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
i dont mind the pick but honestly i would not have wasted a pick in this draft on a goalie.... spam a bunch of defensmane so you have a larger chance for one of them to pan out

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Fingers crossed. Goalies be voodoo after all. But Russia has been a great goalie factory and it’s worth a shot. Have got to keep trying to find and develop that position.

Reactions: aingefan

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Scott Wheeler from The Athletic:

Wheeler: 10 intriguing 2020 NHL Draft prospects not in my top 100 ranking

Artur Akhtyamov — G, Irbis Kazan, 6-foot-2

Akhtyamov wasn’t one of the 10 European goalies ranked by NHL Central Scouting and even if you approach his evaluation with the understanding that most NHL teams differ from their central body’s evaluations in significant ways, his omission is eye-catching and suggests he’s not at the forefront for several people who do this for a living. That suggests value. It also makes him interesting and encouraged me to go back and review some of his games. Akhtyamov’s track record should still speak for itself. He’s on the older side of this draft class but he also has the additional experience you’d expect to line up with that age. Through two full seasons in the MHL, he has been one of the league’s most consistent goaltenders across a 100-game sample size. Even if you included him in the under-18 age group, Akhtyamov led the league in starts with 54 – and boasted a .921 save percentage in those starts. This year, that strong play continued in the under-19 age bracket too, with a .931 save percentage across 46 more games. And though he has yet to be tested at the VHL or KHL level, which you’d like to see in a best-case scenario by his age, Akhtyamov shouldn’t be that far behind the other top young goalies in Russia.

And though my evaluations of goaltenders rely more heavily on numbers and sample size than on my own evaluations of their style, Akhtyamov moves well in the net, he does a good job controlling his rebounds, positionally sound but aggressive when he needs to be. He’s not the most explosive or athletic goalie in the world but he’s quick and he gets to some tough shots. There’s no reason when teams are considering taking their yearly goalie in the sixth or seventh round that he shouldn’t be in the conversation.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i dont mind the pick but honestly i would not have wasted a pick in this draft on a goalie.... spam a bunch of defensmane so you have a larger chance for one of them to pan out

We need goalies as much as we need defensemen.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015

His movement reminds me of Gustavsson. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I liked Gustavsson, and the monster had tons of potential, but he was never taught to control his movements which made him not succeed. If he can be taught to control his movements, he will end up a good goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad