Salary Cap: 2020-21 Lightning Roster Discussion | Part 2

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
And f*** ours.

Palat had a great playoffs but has been pretty average the past few regular seasons. I don't think Point and Kucherov will struggle if Palat isn't on that line. Maybe in the playoffs we'll miss him much more but we have to make some tough moves soon. Palat also has just two years left on his deal so we will need to replace him soon anyway. If it's the best deal we can get and it gets us the capspace we need I'd do it.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I assume it’s game on once the BOG meeting and assumed ratification tomorrow.

actually JBB better have something locked and loaded now to be announced late tomorrow or Monday. Lots of teams need/want to clear cap space but none more the the Lightning.

Normally I’m fine with patience but there is concern about running out of options.

Reactions: Todd1a

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
So watching The Hockey Guy, he brings up 2 great points about the upcoming season.

1) Players can opt out. If they do, they don't get paid and ownership can slide their contract a year. This could help us with someone like Coburn. Only if the player who opts out, doesn't count towards the cap. Could help us on the outside with Johnson, but that would also slide his NTC a year and keep it as restrictive as it is now.

2) If Taxi Squad players don't count towards the cap. We could just rotate players like Volkov, Joseph, Foote, Coburn, Johnson, and Ceddy through the taxi squad. Won't slide NTCs, but still could keep us under the cap.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So watching The Hockey Guy, he brings up 2 great points about the upcoming season.

1) Players can opt out. If they do, they don't get paid and ownership can slide their contract a year. This could help us with someone like Coburn. Only if the player who opts out, doesn't count towards the cap. Could help us on the outside with Johnson, but that would also slide his NTC a year and keep it as restrictive as it is now.

2) If Taxi Squad players don't count towards the cap. We could just rotate players like Volkov, Joseph, Foote, Coburn, Johnson, and Ceddy through the taxi squad. Won't slide NTCs, but still could keep us under the cap.

man I did forget that yes they can opt out ! But we’ll any do that ? Stamkos should opt out take a year off get healthy !

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Palat had a great playoffs but has been pretty average the past few regular seasons. I don't think Point and Kucherov will struggle if Palat isn't on that line. Maybe in the playoffs we'll miss him much more but we have to make some tough moves soon. Palat also has just two years left on his deal so we will need to replace him soon anyway. If it's the best deal we can get and it gets us the capspace we need I'd do it.

palat comes off the books anyway when point needs his raise! So it’s better to move Killorn, johnson or gourde as they have more years left in there deals we need to get out of !

plus it’s hard to replace palat on line one ? Who you replacing palat with one line one ?

Reactions: Lightning1995

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

do we know if stamkos is healthy or is he starting on LTIR ?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
palat comes off the books anyway when point needs his raise! So it’s better to move Killorn, johnson or gourde as they have more years left in there deals we need to get out of !

plus it’s hard to replace palat on line one ? Who you replacing palat with one line one ?

But if it costs assets to move Johnson or Gourde and we can get something decent for Palat I'd move Palat. You can move Coleman to the Point line to do the dirty work and probably not miss much. Johnson can hopefully regain his confidence on the 3rd line with Gourde and Goodrow doing the defensive work and all he'll be expected to do is score. I'm not worried about when Point is due a raise because there's a lot of time before then so no need to worry now. Worry about getting cap compliant for this season not the 22/23 one.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
But if it costs assets to move Johnson or Gourde and we can get something decent for Palat I'd move Palat. You can move Coleman to the Point line to do the dirty work and probably not miss much. Johnson can hopefully regain his confidence on the 3rd line with Gourde and Goodrow doing the defensive work and all he'll be expected to do is score. I'm not worried about when Point is due a raise because there's a lot of time before then so no need to worry now. Worry about getting cap compliant for this season not the 22/23 one.

true but you got 4 years left with johnson on his contract and no way I see Brisebois keeping johnson for 4 more years . So to sign other guys in the coming years you still have to move Killorn and johnson

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
true but you got 4 years left with johnson on his contract and no way I see Brisebois keeping johnson for 4 more years . So to sign other guys in the coming years you still have to move Killorn and johnson

And after this year his NTC becomes limited, he has one less year on his deal and he could be a potential target for Seattle. So if we have to move him it becomes much easier and the assets to do it become much less.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
And after this year his NTC becomes limited, he has one less year on his deal and he could be a potential target for Seattle. So if we have to move him it becomes much easier and the assets to do it become much less.

coleman has a year left here so you lose Palat this year and Coleman next year who you replacing them with ?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
do we know if stamkos is healthy or is he starting on LTIR ?
The issue is proving LTIR for a player. It's not even an option for us really. If there are some rules about opting out and sliding contracts or putting players on the tax squad, that might help us maneuver better. Some players might find it better to slide the contract, just to avoid escrow for this year which is rumoured to be insane. It could be a win for an older player to push the escrow payment, and a win for the owner to save on paying them this year. Coburn is prime candidate for this.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
coleman has a year left here so you lose Palat this year and Coleman next year who you replacing them with ?

Maybe Volkov or Joseph take the next step but highly unlikely. So the next up would be Barre-Boulet, then guys like Raddysh and Katchouk next season should get a look. I doubt any of them can replace Palat but we really don't need them to be as good as him. We need them to just be competent on a line where Point and Kucherov do all the work. Plus if they become as good as Palat they will want to be paid like Palat and we can't afford that, so we need them to be a little worse.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
The issue is proving LTIR for a player. It's not even an option for us really. If there are some rules about opting out and sliding contracts or putting players on the tax squad, that might help us maneuver better. Some players might find it better to slide the contract, just to avoid escrow for this year which is rumoured to be insane. It could be a win for an older player to push the escrow payment, and a win for the owner to save on paying them this year. Coburn is prime candidate for this.

What are the rules for proving LTIR? I don't it's much more than the team doctor saying there's risk to him of he comes back and plays. And that's pretty hard to dispute given the guy spent 6 months rehabbing and then tore that shit back to Start in 3 minutes of ice time.

Getting the insurer to pay his salary is another story, but I doubt there a rule that says you have to get the insurance company's doctors to agree (since there's no requirement to insure contracts in the first place).

What I really want to know is if Stammer can play in the playoffs (when the salary cap gets turned off) if he is on LTIR all season. That would be the safe and smart thing for everyone.

Call it manipulation if you want, but if it's not worth the risk for him to play until June, then it is what it is.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
well I’m asking for real if he is healthy? Because he was supposed to be ready to go in July and was not .
He was on NHL network today (maybe yesterday live) and said he has been skating for 2 weeks with 8 teammates 4 times a week in preparation for training camp, working in the gym daily, and feels great. Seems to me that he will be ready, and talks of LTIR can be shelved.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think there's a definite pattern to how our stars perform in the playoffs and whether or not Palat is on their line. Pretty much every heroic playoff performance put in by a forward (Kucherov, Point, Johnson) has come with Palat on LW. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think a healthy Palat is the difference between a cup and no cup for this team, so I don't think he's expendable until we have a replacement. Our stars need that little bit of grit and smarts beside them.

SnakeIdol

Mar 3, 2018
Johnson-Point-Kucherov. Showcase Johnson.

Stamkos-Cirelli-Killorn. The Lightning's most effective line for most of last season until the stoppage.

Goodrow-Gourde-Coleman. Best 3rd line in the playoffs. Do not touch.

-Stephens-Maroon. Stephens is a machine at winning faceoffs. Paquette and Palat are the easiest to move.

-Palat 5.3
-Paquette 1.65
=6.95

Hedman-Schenn
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Foote
Coburn

Predicting the three defensive lines is more of a challenge. McD and Cernak have the best chemistry. Foote with Hedman is probably going to happen sooner rather than later. As frustrating as it was watching Sergachev running the PP1. Looking back it was absolutely the right move. I believe the next move is to have Hedman and Sergachev running PP1 together.

Cirelli 3 x 3.15 Hintz is the fairest comparison.
Cernak 2 x 2.85 Carlo is the fairest comparison.

Hopefully the Lightning front office can do what the Bruins couldn't and squeeze out a 3rd year. They do deserve a pat on the back for the Sergachev deal. Once again you guys nailed the closest comparison, saying it would be McAvoy 3 x 4.9 The deal came in at 3 x 4.8 Boston signing Carlo and McAvoy to team friendly bridge deals helped Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad