2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Besides McDavid and Drai, Edmonton has probably the worst luck with first rounders by either destroying them or trading them.

McDavid
Hall
Draisaitl
Nugent Hopkins
Yakupov
Pulujarvi

Can you believe they have 4 FIRST overalls, ridiculous.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Besides McDavid and Drai, Edmonton has probably the worst luck with first rounders by either destroying them or trading them.

McDavid
Hall
Draisaitl
Nugent Hopkins
Yakupov
Pulujarvi

It’s honestly a disgrace. We can’t even win the lottery once in a 50 year span...

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

McDavid
Hall
Draisaitl
Nugent Hopkins
Yakupov
Pulujarvi

Not to mention all the other picks from all the other rounds that have amounted to nothing!

member 290103

I'd take him cheap, but wouldn't give up much for him.

If it was very cheap sure. I think though we get dazzled by the allure of what the player was projected to be.

This has been one of Bennings biggest faults...going after guys that were projected to be good nhlers that simply are not.

I get the whole argument that Edmonton might be ruining his development, but really he has shown nothing.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

McDavid
Hall
Draisaitl
Nugent Hopkins
Yakupov
Pulujarvi

Have they really been that bad though? One bust, one trending that way. Of the other 4 two league MVPs two number one centres, and while the nuge may not be the top player many thought he is still pretty good.

Their problem is they have no idea how to build a good team.

member 290103

It’s honestly a disgrace. We can’t even win the lottery once in a 50 year span...

Take note that we were actually better off not winning the lottery two years back....we ended up with Pettersson instead of Patrick. Can u imagine how much worse off the team would be?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Have they really been that bad though? One bust, one trending that way. Of the other 4 two league MVPs two number one centres, and while the nuge may not be the top player many thought he is still pretty good.

Their problem is they have no idea how to build a good team.
Yeah they’ve been pretty bad. With three of the firsts you’d expect to get more than a second line center(RHN), a complete bust and one top line winger. McDavid makes up for it somewhat. But that’s a really poor haul for 4 firsts overall. Plus PoolParty as a top 5 pick.
Some of it wasn’t there fault as they also had bad years for picking first but still.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah they’ve been pretty bad. With three of the firsts you’d expect to get more than a second line center(RHN), a complete bust and one top line winger. McDavid makes up for it somewhat. But that’s a really poor haul for 4 firsts overall. Plus PoolParty as a top 5 pick.
Some of it wasn’t there fault as they also had bad years for picking first but still.

You just implied last years leage mvp was a disappointing pick. Of four first overall picks they have two league mvps, and a second line Centre. That really doesn’t sound that bad.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You just implied last years leage mvp was a disappointing pick. Of four first overall picks they have two league mvps, and a second line Centre. That really doesn’t sound that bad.
Take out McDavid and it’s pretty mediocre for the other three overall firsts. Hall is a very good first overall for sure but most are. RHN is a good second line center. Not what you’d expect from a first.
Yak may be the biggest bust of any first all time. Even Daigle had a decent NHL career. Yakupov is right out of the NHL a few years after the draft.
I’d say it’s a combination of bad overall first picks and a complete mismanagement of the Hall trade that’s really set them back. Puljaarvi looks like another poor pick.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Take out McDavid and it’s pretty mediocre for the other three overall firsts. Hall is a very good first overall for sure but most are. RHN is a good second line center. Not what you’d expect from a first.
Yak may be the biggest bust of any first all time. Even Daigle had a decent NHL career. Yakupov is right out of the NHL a few years after the draft.
I’d say it’s a combination of bad overall first picks and a complete mismanagement of the Hall trade that’s really set them back. Puljaarvi looks like another poor pick.

You can’t take McDavid out like I can’t take Yak out. The have a generational talent, and a league mvp. I would call the nuge an average first overall pick closer to Hischier.

So an average pick, and two above average picks (hell home run) one disappointing pick.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You can’t take McDavid out like I can’t take Yak out. The have a generational talent, and a league mvp. I would call the nuge an average first overall pick closer to Hischier.

So an average pick, and two above average picks (hell home run) one disappointing pick.
I disagree on RHN being an average first. Definitely below average. I’d take Hischier well above him. I think Hischier is going to be a very good player. I agree McDavid makes up for the rest though. You get one generational guy, a bust, a below average guy and a good pick with Hall.
Not great but they sure lucked into McDavid to save it.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

McDavid
Hall
Draisaitl
Nugent Hopkins
Yakupov
Pulujarvi

After the Lemieux,s and Gretzkey eras..
It's funny how Pittsburgh and Edmonton...end up getting gereational picks...Crosby..and McDavid....hmmmmmm
Kinda think..something set up....

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Take note that we were actually better off not winning the lottery two years back....we ended up with Pettersson instead of Patrick. Can u imagine how much worse off the team would be?

That assumes they actually would have taken Patrick, which seems questionable.

We've all seen the video with Benning pointing out Pettersson in the stands and the discussions about trying to trade #5 to the Knights with them to take Glass and the Canucks getting "our guy" at #6. We can only speculate whether they'd have been trying to trade down from #1, #2, or #3, or whether they'd be taking Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Makar or Pettersson. If they successfuly traded down within the top 6, maybe the Canucks would have had EP40 and an additional asset.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

We've all seen the video with Benning pointing out Pettersson in the stands and the discussions about trying to trade #5 to the Knights with them to take Glass and the Canucks getting "our guy" at #6. We can only speculate whether they'd have been trying to trade down from #1, #2, or #3, or whether they'd be taking Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Makar or Pettersson. If they successfuly traded down within the top 6, maybe the Canucks would have had EP40 and an additional asset.

Serious question: When was the last time a team in spots 1, 2, or 3 trade down to 5 or 6 as in this hypothetical?

I can't recall it happening in modern times (could very well be wrong), and I don't see Benning as that revolutionary lol

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
Serious question: When was the last time a team in spots 1, 2, or 3 trade down to 5 or 6 as in this hypothetical?

I can't recall it happening in modern times (could very well be wrong), and I don't see Benning as that revolutionary lol

The trades to set up picking the Sedins in the 1999 draft is all I can think of.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Throwing this out there:

Re-signing Edler and graduating Hughes makes them trade Hutton.

Ferland leaves CAR for free agency.

Hutton + Goldobin to CAR for Hamilton.

CAR gets a top6 LW for the departing Ferland and Hutton provides CAR a trade chip to deal later. Or, they can deal De Haan and move Hutton up to the top4.

Thoughts?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Not even close for Carolina. Goldobin's value is probably at best a 4th. Hutton's a 3rd. That doesn't get you Hamilton.

Does it get you Faulk?

Edit 1: Remember, the Hurricanes have players like Martinook and Wallmark seeing time in their top6. Goldobin's PPG is similar to that of Ferland there. He would be around their 4th leading scorer, as he is here.

Edit 2: Definitely disagree with you on your Hutton evaluation.

member 290103

They'd have been all over Patrick. Highly touted big bodied Centre that also comes from the Dub? Cmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad