2019 Draft Thread: We Already Got a Kaapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Boldy, to me, is a two way forward who looks like he could put up 30g+40a, be a stud penalty killer, and a leader. He isn't overly physical but knows how to play the body and use that big frame to his advantage. He probably shouldn't be the best player on your team, but if you have a good enough team, he will be the reason you win the Cup. Basically, he is everything Coyle is, was supposed to be, and more. He is independent enough that I don't think his development will be ruined no matter what team he goes to. He'll just be successful. I read a comparison earlier today to Patrice Bergeron - I wouldn't go that far, but I definitely like the guy.

Kaliyev is that top line winger who scores 40+ goals - while also being liable for nearly just as many over the course of the season. He will be the guy you throw out in dying minutes, hoping that he scores to tie it up or win it. And he just may do that, but probably as often he'll be out of position and a scoring chance will go the other way. If he's the best player on your team you're probably in trouble, but if he was playing with a guy like Granlund - you'd have a top-5 line in the NHL. I think a lot of his success will depend on where he goes and who he plays with. If he has a good coaching staff and player leadership group that can help him get rid of bad habits and caring even a tiny bit more about the defensive part of the game, he will be a tremendous player.

Caufield is a bit in the middle of them. I don't think he'll score as many as Kaliyev - but he won't be the reason you lose games, either. I like him a lot - DeBrincat 2.0 if things go well. He will depend on his teammates a lot - I don't think he'll be the driver of offense - but he will make things happen.
I've read he can also play center.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think you've got the wrong guy. Soderberg, maybe. Broberg is this tall, swift skating thing. Not very sophisticated, and some doubt his IQ.

Nowhere near smart enough to be in Suter’s realm.

I should have highlighted what I meant, but I was referring specifically to this bit:
"He’s not a flashy puck handler and his vision is just fine, but there is some offense to his game. He moves the puck decent on the power play and flashes a tier above as a distributor. If you’re expecting more, you’ll be disappointed; but if you want a two-way defenseman with size who can close a gap and transition the offense at a high level, he’s your man" (Pronman, The Athletic).

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I should have highlighted what I meant, but I was referring specifically to this bit:
Yes My mistake. That does sound very reminiscent of Suter. Broberg is the reason that I want to add another mid-1st. I think he can be a player. Very high floor, ceiling is a question mark, but most think he’s in a pretty good spot to be a top pair defensmen.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Matthew Boldy

https://thehockeywriters.com/matthew-boldy-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

The Draft Analyst | 2019 Draft Profile: LW Matthew Boldy

“Silky, silky, silky. Boldy loves to use his teammates and takes pride in his soft touch and exceptional vision. He’s been making a big impact with the U18s while adding some additional speed and strength. His stride can still be cleaned up to generate even greater acceleration. A Boston College commit for 2019-20” (Cam Robinson, Dobblers Prospects).

For all you guys talking about Boldy, here you go.

As always I would love it if people chimed in our also added more reports because I love reading about prospects.

Reactions: Minnesota

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Ryan Suzuki

https://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-suzuki-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

The Draft Analyst | 2019 Draft Profile: C Ryan Suzuki

NHL Prospect Profile: Ryan Suzuki

“Suzuki, the younger brother of the Montreal prospect, has been a top playmaker in the OHL since being drafted. His vision is outstanding, with the ability to wait out lanes and hit passes through seams at a very high rate. He’s skilled and can navigate in tight spaces. The criticism of Suzuki among scouts is his lack of physicality, especially as a smaller/slighter forward. However, I like how he defends due to how smart he is and he can kill penalties at the amateur level. He doesn’t have as good a shot as his brother, Nick, but Ryan’s a much better skater” (Pronman, The Athletic).

I’m not a huge Suzuki fan. His offensive ceiling isn’t great and he doesn’t have a shot whatsoever. He’d be a passer on a team with no shooters.

If anyone else has any information on the player please do add.

Reactions: Minnesota

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Liking Caufield or Newhook out of the realistic possibles. Interesting how McKenzie has Krebs rated 12th. Bet Krebs is gone, but I would love him. No one besides Byram I am interested in on D, so we better risk the pick on a C.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I mean not really. Aside from Zucker, all of our returning 20 goal scorers will be 35 next year.

Kunin is, in theory, a shooter. Eriksson Ek used to be a shooter. Fiala is a shooter. Donato is definitely a shooter. I'm going to assume Zucker isn't around by the time Suzuki gets here, but we have some guys who can shoot a puck. Not to mention Dumba and Spurgeon.

I don't see us picking Suzuki because I think he'll be late teens or early 20s, but, hypothetically, if we somehow picked up another 1st in that range I'd be interested in taking him. He's a really good skater, and I've heard people say he's one of the smartest in the draft. I think he'd help our young "core" immensely with getting good shot opportunities.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Liking Caufield or Newhook out of the realistic possibles. Interesting how McKenzie has Krebs rated 12th. Bet Krebs is gone, but I would love him. No one besides Byram I am interested in on D, so we better risk the pick on a C.

Obviously Byram is the #1 D in this draft, but I think Soderstrom will be a really solid player in this league. Would also rather take Newhook or one of the other centers at our spot, but if Fenton wanted Soderstrom I wouldn't be upset about it.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i don't see the roster spot or need for another bluechip D man in the near future. i believe we're set for awhile especially with the pair of johansson's. #1C , speed or potential rw sniper really are our highest priorities. assuming someone good doesn't drop out of top 10 (like veleno) picking 11th i'd like the best C available.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, you take Byram if he's still there at #11, but in general, I agree.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
what if podkolzin drops? ok with another long wait like kaprizov?
Nobody really knows if the rumors are true, but personally I would pass on him anyway. He isn’t an overly smart player and I wouldn’t take a chance on him because at the end of the day we just have another left shot winger if he works out. I guess if every center was off the board, and boldy is gone, go for it. Otherwise it doesn’t make a ton of sense.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
what if podkolzin drops? ok with another long wait like kaprizov?
You jump all over him, unless he says behind the scenes that he doesn't want to play in MN. I'm guessing he will be intrigued with the thought of playing with KK, and possibly Sokolov. Hopefully he gets an agent who is savvy when it comes to the NHL.

The guy is considered a top 3 talent. If he falls to #11, then you take him. Same with Byram. And I'm a guy who wants a C in the first round.

Hmmm, that gives me an idea for a thread...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I must say that I love that they are having the draft lotto so early. Wonder if we'll send Fiala as the team rep, and he'll giveaway our pick.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad