Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think today was a bit of an eye opener. Caufield, Krebs and Boldy all played really well at the U18's and each fill a big holes for the Oilers. Im happy if we walk away with way any of these guys. We are going to get one heck of a player in June.

Now to try and get all 3...

Caufield-McDavid-Draisaitl
Boldy-Nuge-Krebs

Reactions: KYams17

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think today was a bit of an eye opener. Caufield, Krebs and Boldy all played really well at the U18's and each fill a big holes for the Oilers. Im happy if we walk away with way any of these guys. We are going to get one heck of a player in June.

Now to try and get all 3...

Caufield-McDavid-Draisaitl
Boldy-Nuge-Krebs
Dach, Krebs, Cozen, Caufield, Turcotte plus lots more. Yeah lets PLEASE stand pat. Don't make a "NEW GM MAKING HIS MARK" trade like Chiarelli did.

OR should I say, in Chiarelli's case, a "NEW GM MAKING HIS FART" trade

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
Yakupov busted so freaking hard, can you explain his junior stats?
I have it on good authority, if the mods want to pm. me for my source I'll reveal it.
The problem with a few of the Russian players , is the age they claim to be either in russia or moreso when they come over and play major junior .. I've been told by a very high end player agent (who I won't reveal), that they have a lot of birth cetificates with false ages due to some lack verification in Russia. so basically when a guy plays junior and dominates esp.major junior , some of them are actually 1-2 years older than they claim, hence the inflated stats and performance against younger competition.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have it on good authority, if the mods want to pm. me for my source I'll reveal it.
The problem with a few of the Russian players , is the age they claim to be either in russia or moreso when they come over and play major junior .. I've been told by a very high end player agent (who I won't reveal), that they have a lot of birth cetificates with false ages due to some lack verification in Russia. so basically when a guy plays junior and dominates esp.major junior , some of them are actually 1-2 years older than they claim, hence the inflated stats and performance against younger competition.
Is this the guys like Podkolzin who stay over or just some of the guys who come play junior here?

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
well I haven't seen him in a couple years because our daughters don't play hockey together anymore. But I'm just saying I'm very leery about the Russian players now. As he was saying, they have a big year and it looks like they're all world but if you're playing against younger competition your stats are inflated , he said it then ,it was quite rampant. Has it changed since then? I don't really know but it does explain some of the flameouts that you end up seeing with these guys, once they get to the pros where there playing against men and their age is no longer an advantage.
I've actually heard a lot of stories from him and other people about some of the guys the Oilers have drafted, or traded for .let's just say they didn't have very good reputations. And it makes me wonder why the oilers didn't know this when the either drafted or traded for these guys. it seems to be public knowledge in the hockey world . as you know it's a small group and they all know each other , it just seems to add to the apperance of Ineptitude with this organization when I hear this stuff.
I live In Kelowna , and as you can imagine, there's a lot of current and ex pro's that live here, that I've got to know on and off the ice over the last bunch of years. Hope that all makes sense.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Unless someone like Dach falls, Krebs and Caufield are my picks.

Krebs I have ahead of Zegras, and I think I'd even take Caufield ahead of him too. He's just such a great fit for this team.

I do think the Debrincat comparisons are spot-on, but I actually think Caufield could become better. He's much better defensively and a better skater. If he could become a better all-round Debrincat, he'd be an incredible pick at 8.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Krebs I have ahead of Zegras, and I think I'd even take Caufield ahead of him too. He's just such a great fit for this team.

I do think the Debrincat comparisons are spot-on, but I actually think Caufield could become better. He's much better defensively and a better skater. If he could become a better all-round Debrincat, he'd be an incredible pick at 8.

I really like the Debrincat comparison for Caufield although he seems even smaller and younger. I also like the Mike Richars comparison for Krebs. Guy is always back checking and "just gets it".

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I've watched Tracey several times, and most recently against the Warriors rival, Regina....to say the least, I believe he is a perimeter player, and his compete is similar to Bobby Ryan.... seems to be a cerabral player in that he knows where to go on the ice to put the puck in the net, but his board play is some of the worst I've seen from a draft eligible forward this year, so I just don't see his game translating well to the NHL. That said, he was a rookie in the WHL this year, and is rail thin, so he could definitely show improvement in those areas. He played on a line with Langan and Almeida, so he knows how to play with top talent, but next year he is going to have to drive a line on his own because those 2 will be gone. I honestly wouldn't expend more than a 5th rounder on him, and I'm leaning more towards the do not draft than even spending that, but with his production, there is a very good chance he will get drafted.

Tracey with a pair today boy!

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Your kidding me right...?

Zegras has more hockey IQ ' speed, creativity in his left ×ut then either of those guys.

But you would rather have the one dimensional goal scorer or the guy who barely put up ppg and 20 goals in his draft year in junior.

Reactions: McKappa

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Zegras has more hockey IQ ' speed, creativity in his left ×ut then either of those guys.

But you would rather have the one dimensional goal scorer or the guy who barely put up ppg and 20 goals in his draft year in junior.
How is Caufield one-dimensional?

Edit: And Caufield just scored again.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
How is Caufield one-dimensional?

Edit: And Caufield just scored again.

I never understood why people are so hard on goalscorers. Like even if he was one dimensional (which hes not) that's like the absolute best dimension to have. Guy would score 50 with McDavid and I dont even think that's a reach. He just doesnt stop scoring goals!

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Also after watching Krebs I have absolutely no worries about picking him at 8.

And as I'm saying this he just setup another goal.

Kids not going to be there for us at 8 anymore.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Caufields one dimension single handedly wins you guys. He has 2 hattricks his last 2 game. What does our forward group have lots of, playmakers. It doesn't have pure scorers. Caufield will easily be a 40 goal NHL scorer, its only a matter of when.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Caufields one dimension single handedly wins you guys. He has 2 hattricks his last 2 game. What does our forward group have lots of, playmakers. It doesn't have pure scorers. Caufield will easily be a 40 goal NHL scorer, its only a matter of when.
*3 hat-tricks his last 3 games.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Thoughts from the 1st 2 days of the U18s:

Forwards

Hughes: Rough first game, but he came as advertised. Plays more like Marner than Gaudreau.

Turcotte: Not as flashy a game as I expected to see. He plays hard and puts his heart on the ice every shift. Great vision and speed, and is managing to produce with poor linemates. Really like his game.

Boldy: Not at all what I expected. From what I'd seen/read, he was a good two-way player with nice hands and a great shot. So far, he's been all-finesse. Setting up plays left-and-right and looking like a dynamic playmaker. That said, he needs to shoot more. I don't think I've seen him take a shot yet. Solid option at 8.

Caufield:
Man oh man, he's good. He knows where to be and never misses. 7 goals, 10 points in 2 games, and hit 2 posts as well. I would love to have him at 8th overall.

Krebs: Canada's best player by far. 4 points in 2 games and is great both with and without the puck. Would love him at 8.

Cozens: Awful first two games. Has a goal, but pretty invisible at even strength and doesn't support the defense well at all. I'd try to avoid him.

Newhook: High highs and low lows. He cost Canada a goal against with a bad play in the neutral zone and made some really odd decisions at times. It seems like he's still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't, and considering he played in the BCHL, it's understandable. He's also made some incredible plays though, and has been Canada's best offensive player along with Krebs. Nowhere near as good without the puck though.

Cajkovic/Rees/Tracey: All three have impressed me, and should get a look in the 2nd/3rd.

Defensemen:

York:
Not flashy, but supports the play very well. Very very good passer, and solid defensively from what I've seen. Upside doesn't seem as high as some others, but very good bet to be a top-4 Dman that can put up points.

Heinola: Rough game against Canada but his potential is easy to see. Probably has the highest upside among defensemen after Byram, and considering his play in the men's league, is a pretty solid bet to reach it.

Soderstrom: Very smart player, and effective everywhere. I just wish he'd take more risks.

Broberg: Surprisingly good defensively and has got obvious blazing speed. Don't like his puck skills or offensive IQ at all though.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Also, it's not just Oilers fans that aren't high on Cozens. Off the top of my head, the Canadiens board, Sabres, Ducks, Blackhawks, and Red Wings are also expressing the same concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad