Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread Part II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
My top 10 at this point, assuming that Makar and Kam are graduating by the end of the year:

1) Bowen Byram
2) Alex Newhook
3) Conor Timmins
4) Martin Kaut
5) Shane Bowers
6) Justus Annunen
7) Nikolai Kovalenko
8) Logan O'Connor
9) Drew Helleson
10) Daniil Zhuravlyov

Morrison is real close, but I kind of wonder if he has one foot out the door already with the UFA option in sight. I wasn't a huge fan of the Zhuravlyov pick at the time, but breaking into the KHL at 19 is no small feat, and I think there's enough there to warrant a top 10 inclusion for now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My top 10 at this point, assuming that Makar and Kam are graduating by the end of the year:

1) Bowen Byram
2) Alex Newhook
3) Conor Timmins
4) Martin Kaut
5) Shane Bowers
6) Justus Annunen
7) Nikolai Kovalenko
8) Logan O'Connor
9) Drew Helleson
10) Daniil Zhuravlyov

Morrison is real close, but I kind of wonder if he has one foot out the door already with the UFA option in sight. I wasn't a huge fan of the Zhuravlyov pick at the time, but breaking into the KHL at 19 is no small feat, and I think there's enough there to warrant a top 10 inclusion for now.

I'm curious, Cowt over Bowers? I think both have similar upsides, but Bowers is a center. That tips the scales a little for me.

I really liked the Kaut pick as well.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm curious, Cowt over Bowers?
I know I'll be in the minority on that. I never had a lot of faith in Bowers to be more than a 3C (not enough offense), but I still think Kaut has the potential to be a good, versatile, middle six winger, if not second line. You can make a case for C > W, and I wouldn't challenge it, but I think there's a lot of value in Kaut still and that HFAvs was way too quick to write him off.

Bowers producing in the AHL is certainly a good sign, but I'm not sold yet. They're really close, but for now Kaut gets the slight edge from me.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I know I'll be in the minority on that. I never had a lot of faith in Bowers to be more than a 3C (not enough offense), but I still think Kaut has the potential to be a good, versatile, middle six winger, if not second line. You can make a case for C > W, and I wouldn't challenge it, but I think there's a lot of value in Kaut still and that HFAvs was way too quick to write him off.

Bowers producing in the AHL is certainly a good sign, but I'm not sold yet. They're really close, but for now Kaut gets the slight edge from me.

Interesting you feel that way. Pretty much just flip the names for me lol. I feel pretty confident Bowers can be a 3C.

Wing is easier for these guys to produce. So maybe that gives Kaut an edge, but I think a lot of Bowers production is also from the wing.

Honestly I'm not counting on either to get to 2nd line level. Maybe Kaut not producing more this year has me down on him.

When he was drafted I seen a poor man's Landeskog with maybe even a better shot.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Interesting you feel that way. Pretty much just flip the names for me lol. I feel pretty confident Bowers can be a 3C.

Wing is easier for these guys to produce. So maybe that gives Kaut an edge, but I think a lot of Bowers production is also from the wing.

Honestly I'm not counting on either to get to 2nd line level. Maybe Kaut not producing more this year has me down on him.

When he was drafted I seen a poor man's Landeskog with maybe even a better shot.
I just see a hard ceiling at 3C for Bowers, and I think Kaut will have more versatility in the end as far as playing up and down the lineup and on special teams. It depends on how you value certain types of players and skillsets though.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I just see a hard ceiling at 3C for Bowers, and I think Kaut will have more versatility in the end as far as playing up and down the lineup and on special teams. It depends on how you value certain types of players and skillsets though.

I could see Bowers being more productive when playing wing, and about as productive as Kaut. At wing they're kinda similar in my mind. So I'm definitely not seeing Kaut as more versatile.

Seeing how guys like Compher and Kam have translated puts a bit of a damper on projecting these guys as well. Although I don't really think Kam has had a shot that fits his skillset. I think Kam has more skill than hes been allowed to show.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
More muscle requires more oxygen as well. I've seen soldiers bulk up fast, and their ability to keep up disappears just as fast lol.

It's a little funny, especially seeing as pro sports are supposed to be cutting edge in fitness.

But sometimes you can’t improve perfection.

iu

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
FWIW my 10 at the moment

Byram
-
Newhook
-
Timmins
Kaut
Bowers
Annunen
-
Kovalenko
Ranta
Werner
-
Zhuravlyov
Pretty well my list also but I would move Timmins with Newhook and have Mutala instead of Ranta. I have LOC and Ranta just outside of the top-10.

I wish the Avs would send Tynan back down and call up LOC. I think LOC would benifit the Avs more on the 4th line and Tynan would benifit the Eagles more as a top-6.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's hard not to be excited for what Newhook is doing this year.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Totally different players to me Zegras will be a set up man newhook has a lot better scoring ability but not the same level of play making of Zegras

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Haha Newhook looks like he is 5'10" and 240 lbs in that first picture. Look at those cheeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad