Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Surely that takes away some as well from whoever is losing ice time??

We added about 50 goals with Galchenyuk, Hinostroza, and Grabner.

Well Domi and Galchenyuk are 1:1 so that's pretty straight forward.

The stickybois (Cousins - Richardson - Martinook) were playing a lot of minutes and didn't actually score much. So any minutes they had if you knock them down to more normalish bottom 6 minutes you get Grabner's time with whatever line he's on.

There were some goals outright subtracted though not a ton, most of it was via Rieder.

Someone like Archibald/Rinaldo hopefully won't play half the season.

Defense could potentially score more if you consider that Schenn is gone and it seems the most likely guys to get ice time in his place (KConn and Oesterle) are better offensively.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Doubt it hurts much if we deploy properly.

Richardson and Martinook were the #6 and #8 forwards in icetime, for example. What you're losing in scoring by reducing ice time to those types of guys won't add up to much because of their already extremely low P/60. They were also the two lowest forwards for +/- because despite being "sticky", they were consistently over-utilized and produce zero offense.

Glad Richardson was able to turn his nearly 15 minutes a game into 3 goals and 12 assists despite a stint with Keller. Oh, and he turned it into a multi-year deal for too much money and a NMC... Sigh

Reactions: moosemeister

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not that it matters but does anyone see a big bounce for Domi or is he what he is??

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think he will bounce back. He wasn't happy here. New team/market. I don't think he's ever more than a 20-30-50 guy barring the type of linemates Montreal cannot give him.

If he starts slow though, I can see the frustration coming to a boil under the microscope and another long season.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What are y'all smoking this summer? Do you really think that our posession time is going to improve so dramatically that we'll have the puck posession time to score all these goals? Even if our centers miraculously become proficient at winning face offs, our forwards become proficient in the board battles, and the defense suddenly can move the puck our of our own zone, where is the scoring talent?
Well, Stepan will get his points, and Galchenyuk/Strome/Dvo/Grabner/Keller will all have better years this year and Score more goals then last year. I agree, it won’t work that way.

Raanta being healthy and really good along with our D staying healthy will keep our GAA down which is the key to the season. We added production and team wide scoring should be better but not by a lot in my opinion. Our GF won’t be bottom 5, but our GAA needs to be too 10 or better.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Well, Stepan will get his points, and Galchenyuk/Strome/Dvo/Grabner/Keller will all have better years this year and Score more goals then last year. I agree, it won’t work that way.

Raanta being healthy and really good along with our D staying healthy will keep our GAA down which is the key to the season. We added production and team wide scoring should be better but not by a lot in my opinion. Our GF won’t be bottom 5, but our GAA needs to be too 10 or better.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if Grabner gets 27 goals again, doubt he breaks 20.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'll be pleasantly surprised if Grabner gets 27 goals again, doubt he breaks 20.

I think this is battered Coyotes fan syndrome.
His career average is 23 FWIW. Considering the lack of goal scoring options on the team he'll get the opportunity.

Most of the players brought in from outside the organization haven't actually seen their numbers drop much or at all even though it's a common concern.
Stepan, Goligoski, Panik, Raanta. Even Richardson had a career year the season before his leg exploded.

When we manage to bring established talent in from the outside, it generally works out. It's the quantity of that talent we can bring in that's the problem along with this franchise routinely having slow developing prospects.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Upshall has managed to reinvent himself as a solid bottom 6er. I'm just not sure we really need more bodies.
But if it's PTO he'd be in a position battle with Crouse I guess?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I loved Upshall when he was here, but I don't know if we need more 4th liners. Another legit middle winger 6 would be nice, then our worst winger would be Crouse, Cousins, Merkley, or Richie(if he got moved to wing), and we could comfortably roll 4 lines.

Reactions: _Del_

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Love that we are bringing in Upshall to camp. Great to make things competitive, great to bring more vets around the kids, great that he has interest in coming back.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1. Keller: 19g 39a 58p
2. Stepan: 14g 39a 53p
3. OEL: 19g 32a 51p
4. Galchenyuk: 22g 24a 46p
5. Dvorak: 16g 27a 42p
6. Goligoski: 9g 28a 37p
7. Perlini: 19g 16a 35p
8. Strome: 16g 18a 34p
9. Grabner: 21g 12a 33p
10. Fischer: 16g 17a 33p
11. Hinostroza: 11g 21a 32p
12. Panik: 14g 17a 31p
13. Chychrun: 8g 21a 29p
14. Connauton: 8g 13a 21p
15. Demers: 6g 15a 21p
16. Cousins: 8g 8a 16p
17. Oesterle: 5g 9a 14p
18. Hjalmarsson: 2g 11a 13p
19. Richardson: 5g 7a 12p

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
(Thank you, disembodied head of Rich Little...:laugh:)

(in Rich Little’s disembodied voice of Richard Nixon....)

“Yuurbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb Welcome!!”

225px-Rich_Little%27s_head.png

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
From "The Forecaster" season preview magazine:

TuepKQD.jpg

This "injury consern" on Raanta is just because he was a bit unlucky last year, huh? And they feel they need to write something bad about the Coyotes? Nothing wrong with him now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad