Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
This "injury consern" on Raanta is just because he was a bit unlucky last year, huh? And they feel they need to write something bad about the Coyotes? Nothing wrong with him now?
It's not really unrealistic to put an injury concern label on a goalie who got injured in the first season he had the chance to play starter numbers. He has not proven he can handle the workload.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's not really unrealistic to put an injury concern label on a goalie who got injured in the first season he had the chance to play starter numbers. He has not proven he can handle the workload.
I could see if he had a history of injury, or it was later in the year if he was over worked, but not at this time. It happened early in the year, and in fact he played a lot after he came back from injury. Now, if it happens again this year, you could have an argument.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I could see if he had a history of injury, or it was later in the year if he was over worked, but not at this time. It happened early in the year, and in fact he played a lot after he came back from injury. Now, if it happens again this year, you could have an argument.
It's just a question mark, they didn't refer to him as Joffrey Lupul!!!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The biggest takeaway from the chart for me was 17 wins for Kuemper. Combined with Raanta (28), that's 90 points. And doesn't include OTL.

Reactions: doaner

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Raanta admitted he did not come into camp in shape as he should have been.
I read that some where also, although I thought Chayka mentioned that in one of his pressers. Why would he come to camp out of shape? It was his most important year of his career. Talk about dumb.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Tocchet called out both Raanta and Stepan for it.

Maybe too much NY pizza?

Tempting to speculate they felt they were traded from a team with a future to a team without it. But they then came to their senses and decided they should play well and "make their own future". All of that.

Raanta has signed a new contract since then, Stepans production got better during the season. And NYR fell apart, starting from that trade.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Pro sports are getting more like regular working stiffs like us where you can only take a few weeks off and need to get back at it. With the money they make, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that much of them. It's not like they have to pull 50+ hours a week like most of us.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Link? I’d like to read, or listen to a video of him saying this. As far as I remember, it was just speculation because of his injuries at the beginning of the season.

Coyotes sign goaltender Antti Raanta to 3-year deal

Tocchet said last month that he wished Raanta came into training camp in better shape, something Chayka alluded to.

"I have lots of confidence that he's going to commit himself to being an NHL starter: taking care of your body and doing the right things to play 60-plus games," Chayka said. "I think this year was a great learning experience for him. I think he's a dedicated guy. I think he's understood what it takes now on a personal level for himself, what it's like to be a starter."

Raanta believes he can adjust his offseason preparations to be more prepared to go next season and beyond.

"I think it was kind of a growing process for me also — the first year playing a lot, being the No. 1 guy and it's a big mental adjustment from being a backup to start playing more," Raanta said. "It's going to be good for me to know what it takes to play lots of games and it's going to be good for me to kind of see what I need to do more in the summertime, what I want to improve, and come back stronger next year."

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I recall reading something similar. Raanta speaks of the need/understanding for improvement in the last two paragraphs. I think there was a Coyotes article with the same or more.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I recall reading something similar. Raanta speaks of the need/understanding for improvement in the last two paragraphs. I think there was a Coyotes article with the same or more.
I recall his commenting on not being physically ready to be an every day starter. Not out of shape per say just not in starter shape.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I recall his commenting on not being physically ready to be an every day starter. Not out of shape per say just not in starter shape.
In this day and age, any player that comes to camp out of shape is letting everyone down. Last year was Raanta's most important year of his career and he pulls this crap. He knew he was considered the starter and this happens. Really disappointed. Stepan who was C for the Rangers did the same thing? Same goes for Strome and Crouse this training camp. Let's see what kind of character these kids have.

Reactions: doaner

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Yes, but he was brought here to be a starter. We are splitting hairs on what "out of shape" as a generic comment means.

Hopefully more profesionall this year. Raanta has signed an extention, so if felt he was sent somewhere to rot, he has changed his mind. But I am repeating myself.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
^^^^^

To be in shape
Or not to be in shape

That is the question and I’m sure everyone on the roster now knows what’s going to be expected in about three weeks.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad