Post-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Tell me unlike a certain other defensemen here, this one can actually play defense.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Alexeyev had a strong second WHL season, moving my impression of him as an NHL prospect from fringe at this point last season to a real player. He’s not a game breaker, but he has a lot of positive elements. He stands in at 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, skates well for a big defenseman, and can handle the puck fine. He has a real calmness to his game in how he moves the puck. It’s that poise with the puck and his IQ that leads me to think he has a chance to be a top-four defenseman despite not having dynamic speed/skill. I don’t think that projection is a lock, as I have some questions about if his offense in the WHL will translate to the NHL, but he made enough plays this season to get on my radar. Alexeyev is solid defensively, too, using his strength and frame to win battles, and showing good positional play. Alexeyev was a top player for Red Deer despite dealing with significant personal tragedy, as his mother passed away suddenly in the middle of the season.

another review

Marshall

A Mahoney guy
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
RLR on Alexander Alexeyev

Ranked #18 - "Strong, tough, and mobile with underrated skills"

RD - Big horse is a rangy skater who eats up ice in neutral zone utilizing a long stride. Excellent footwork for his size with no wasted strides. Soft hands for controlling the puck in traffic, makes smooth passes onto teammates' tape and settles down bouncing pucks in motion. Great puck protection - spreads out frame and uses long reach. Never holds onto puck too long, getting it off his blade quickly. Easily corrals even off-target passes. Uses big frame to muscle opponents off the puck. Also uses size to absorb contact. Not afraid to regroup the breakout in his own zone, calming the play down when his team is in trouble. Playing at a much faster pace this year and showing offensive upside. Distributes the puck well as PP point man, and has a heavy shot that causes lots of rebounds. He also keeps it low for deflections, and makes tricky slap-passes.

Projection: Rugged 2nd pairing d-man and PP trigger-man.
Style compares to Oscar Klefbom.

Also ranked #15 for the Rodney Dangerfield Trophy (Most underrated players) - "Clearcut first rounder to us, but never mentioned as such by NHL clubs."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad