2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Question for you and other Yotes fans....as Nucks and Oiler fan...what do people here think the Yotes primary need is? Winger? Center? Dman? Trying to figure out who they would "likely" target.
Chayka talked a lot about “premium positions” which is C and D. He also talks about “balancing the lineup” which means right handed shots. He’s also said that they’ll always take BPA. So I expect premium positions and handedness are just tie-breakers. So if they have Tkachuk as clear-cut BPA, he’s the pick despite not meeting any of the other criteria. If they have him about even with Bouchard, then we probably take the RD.

You will not figure out who we will likely target. It’s not possible. None of us know.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
So apparently even Zadina doesn’t think he’ll be going to the Habs:

Montreal certainly isn’t going to like that comment. I love Zadina’s candor and his passion. He’s not a robot like most of these kids, but he’s got to bite his tongue in that spot. Yikes.

If Chayka refuses to move up to 3, the Habs may feel cornered into taking Kotkaniemi there. They probably won’t feel comfortable moving down to six, worried that we take him at 5.

Information is leaking out of MTL like a sieve. Folks in that org need to zip their lips. If we’ve got an inside track on Ottawa’s hopes at 4th (as in that they’re definitely going D, or they absolutely love Tkachuk or Bouchard or whoever), then we can essentially ensure we get Zadina at 5, simply by refusing to deal with Montreal.

If they hadn’t tipped their hand on Kotkaniemi, they might’ve got an asset from us.

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
It would absolutely not surprise me if Marc Bergevin is telling prospects to leak that he is going C or D, or if he's purposely telling these prospects that in hopes that one of them might tell the media like Zadina did here.

Marc Bergevin is a strange person.

RABBIT

NHL.com's 3 mock drafts all have us taking Dobson
Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina top NHL.com mock drafts
5. Arizona Coyotes
Kimelman -- Noah Dobson, D, Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL):
Maybe the most impressive thing about Dobson, a 6-3, 180-pound right-shot defenseman, was that he was just as good in the Memorial Cup final, his 91st game of the season between the QMJHL regular season, playoffs and Memorial Cup, as he was at any other point during the season.
Morreale -- Dobson: He has an effective two-way game, makes good decisions under pressure, and has a big shot from the point. He had 69 points (17 goals, 52 assists) in 67 games, can transition the puck well, plays big minutes and contributes when needed on offense.
Lepage -- Dobson: He increased his value throughout Acadie-Bathurst's run to the Memorial Cup championship. With his extraordinary vision and skating ease, he shouldn't need too much more development time to establish himself as a major part of the Coyotes' future.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Even if Montreal passes on Zadina, I still don't see Ottawa doing the same. Even if they need D. Zadina is the better pick.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Buffalo - Dahlin
Carolina - Svechnikov
Montreal - Kotkaniemi
Ottawa - Dobson
Arizona - Zadina

1WuT.gif

giphy.gif

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
It was interesting hearing Sam Cosontino’s commentary on Dobson. He was adamant that Dobson is going Top 5. So much so that I think he knows that he is Ottawa’s guy at 4.

Yeah, I am about halfway through that combine video. It's spectacular. But Sam goes hard on pumping Dobson's tires. Pretty much saying if/when he fills out he is going to be a beast.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
He reminds me of a Hamilton/Burns hybrid. Not my top choice at no. 5, but would not suck.
I don’t see that level of offense from him. He needs to work I’m getting his shot off more quickly and missing the net less. I prefer Bouchard’s approach in the offensive zone by a lot. Dobson is going to be huge and can skate like the wind has eye popping all compass mobility. He’s skinny and weak and needs to physically mature. He makes great plays and stupid plays and needs to work hard at situational consistency.

I’d be thrilled to add him to our prospect pool but I find him underwhelming for a top five pick. When I think of what a top five pick is, it’s not Dobson. He could really round into form and change all that, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yandover

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It was interesting hearing Sam Cosontino’s commentary on Dobson. He was adamant that Dobson is going Top 5. So much so that I think he knows that he is Ottawa’s guy at 4.
Interesting that all three have the same seven guys going in the top seven (in slightly different order):
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Tkachuk
4. Zadina
5. Dobson
6. Huges
7. Bouchard

RABBIT

I don’t see that level of offense from him. He needs to work I’m getting his shot off more quickly and missing the net less. I prefer Bouchard’s approach in the offensive zone by a lot. Dobson is going to be huge and can skate like the wind has eye popping all compass mobility. He’s skinny and weak and needs to physically mature. He makes great plays and stupid plays and needs to work hard at situational consistency.

I’d be thrilled to add him to our prospect pool but I find him underwhelming for a top five pick. When I think of what a top five pick is, it’s not Dobson. He could really round into form and change all that, though.

I should've clarified, as I compared him to 2 offensive dynamo defensemen, but I see that comparison in his skating ability and vision. His shot definitely seems to need some work. Seems hesitant.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Best thing about Zadina is he addresses 1 of our 3 major needs right off the bat. You can drop him right into next year's lineup.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Button's final rankings are up. His top 10:

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Tkachuk
Kotkaniemi
Hughes
Hayton
Dobson
Bouchard
Wahlstrom

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think I'd be thrilled with anyone Chayka picks except for Boqvist, whose concussion history scares me to death, and Tkachuk, because I'm getting more and more leery of the whole "intangibles" argument that overwhelms anyone's observations of his production.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I think I'd be thrilled with anyone Chayka picks except for Boqvist, whose concussion history scares me to death, and Tkachuk, because I'm getting more and more leery of the whole "intangibles" argument that overwhelms anyone's observations of his production.
Same. Little apprehensive about Dobson, too, but would get over it quickly.

Reactions: Yandover
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad