2018 NHL Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If Kotkaniemi goes at 3 that means one of Tkachuk or Zadina is falling to 5. I wouldn’t offer anything to be honest.

I think the poster in question meant that the Habs are wanting to take Kotkaniemi, but would trade down in order to do so. This kind of falls in line with the article that Pi posted stating the Canadiens' interest.

If Tkachuk winds up going #2, I would want to have some ammo in the barrel for a move up. Otherwise, we risk a team behind us jumping up to #3 for either Zadina or Svechnikov, and then losing the other to #4. Not exactly how I would want to get it done if we had the ability to move up for the 2nd or 3rd best player on our board and didn't explore the opportunity.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think the poster in question meant that the Habs are wanting to take Kotkaniemi, but would trade down in order to do so. This kind of falls in line with the article that Pi posted stating the Canadiens' interest.

If Tkachuk winds up going #2, I would want to have some ammo in the barrel for a move up. Otherwise, we risk a team behind us jumping up to #3 for either Zadina or Svechnikov, and then losing the other to #4. Not exactly how I would want to get it done if we had the ability to move up for the 2nd or 3rd best player on our board and didn't explore the opportunity.
Explore yes, but I worry about Chayka trying to outsmart somebody. Chayka was fortunate with the Keller and Chychrun picks, and the move for Raanta/Stepan. Chayka might be due for a mistake. Chayka is still young and hasn't made a major mistake yet, but he will, something won't work out. Just take BPA-simple.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If Svechnikov was available at 3 then I would be very interested in moving up. The cost for 2 draft spots might not be very high if Montreal was committed to Kotkaniemi.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

There's a draft pick value list out there. Chayka is one however that doesn't fully believe in being on the team trading up side off the equation.

It all boils down to the list for me and where the likely available at 5 assets lay versus Svechnikov. If Svechnikov is at 2 and we like him significant more that the player we believe will be at 5 then we are open to it pending cost. If we think player 3 on our list is available and he fits a better long term need than Svechnikov then I'm passing on even making an offer.

If I look at my own list and if it's a scenario where I'm choosing between Tkachuk and Svechnikov I'm okay with Tkachuk. Same with Zadina. Even if it's the top 4 off the table (Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, and Zadina) I'm not opposed between choosing one of Bouchard, Hughes, Kotkaniemi, Wahlstrom, Dobson, or Bodqvist. I like those names and most are a better fit with our existing mix than the wingers mentioned above and I like not giving up additional picks. I also think pick 5 is the most interesting of the draft so my interest may be overshadowing what's truly best for the franchise.

If you think Svechnikov is on a tier of his own then we would have to look at dealing a young asset to move up. I think given the quality of our young assets that the deal has potential to expand into multiple assets from both sides. Ie. If we include Domi does that mean they include Galchenyuk as well?

Last edited:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
This is a treasure trove:

Chayka is on there for about 20mins starting at the 1hr mark. They ask him some great questions which he mostly ducks, but it’s extremely interesting nonetheless.

Very good insights on a lot of kids. Especially Tychonick and Merkley and others.

It’s three hours and I skipped around a bit but I may go back and fill in the gaps. Very good content.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
^ in that video they mention the same thing I said about Bouchard. That you look at his round face, and his mild manner, and you wonder if he’s doing the right things off ice. They said they talked to the people in London who said he’s actually a beast. Combine results support that. Maybe “beast” is the wrong word. But at least we’ll above average strength and power among prospects in attendance at the combine.

Looks like Mittelstadt, lifts like Chychrun. :sarcasm:

They also mentioned that he averaged 35mins per game in London this season. Which means less than that pre TDL but MORE than 35min per game post TDL. That’s unbelievable. Concerns about energy level and urgency make a little sense when you understand that the player might face 40mins of ice time in a game and goes into full conservation mode as a result.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Chayka is on there for about 20mins starting at the 1hr mark. They ask him some great questions which he mostly ducks, but it’s extremely interesting nonetheless.

Very good insights on a lot of kids. Especially Tychonick and Merkley and others.

It’s three hours and I skipped around a bit but I may go back and fill in the gaps. Very good content.

This is f***ing outstanding. Well worth your time.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
After the Chayka interview, they mention Russians, and that one team won't take a Russian in the first round because, "They've been through it". Any thoughts about what team that could be? Dallas?

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson

man i'm so jealous of Canadian TV coverage. The deepest we have is NHL network and it blows chunks 60% of the time.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Yeah, it's an interesting watch although Chayka mostly answered in a very generalized way. That said, he gave a pretty definite answer about drafting goalies - it's a high variance crapshoot and although you want to build a pipeline, it's generally not worth the risk of using a high draft pick, especially since you're can fill that position through free agency and trade (like we have with our past three starters for almost the past decade).

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Fantastic!! Great when knowledgeable analysts ask smart questions.

Svechnikov is a physical freak....man/child Chychrun-like......he looks like a star already.

Dobson's stock on the rise.

Is Merkley a more talented DeAngelo?

Reactions: Conor Clancey

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Fantastic!! Great when knowledgeable analysts ask smart questions.

Svechnikov is a physical freak....man/child Chychrun-like......he looks like a star already.

Dobson's stock on the rise.

Is Merkley a more talented DeAngelo?
I’m a big fan of Merkley’s skill set. I think it was the same play they describe here where I decided that he deserved to be top 10 based on skill.

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson
A lot of MTL fans are thinking their going to go with Kotkaniemi at 3. Which means OTT has the pick between Boqvist, Hughes, Zadina, and Tkachuk. A good majority of Ottawa fans think they will go with toughness or defense. Zadina could be there at 5. How crazy would that be?

How crazy would it be if Carolina takes Tkachuk? Would MTL pass on Svech to go center? Probably not, but might throw off draft boards quiiiiiiiite a bit. Very real that Zadina may be there at 5.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
A lot of MTL fans are thinking their going to go with Kotkaniemi at 3. Which means OTT has the pick between Boqvist, Hughes, Zadina, and Tkachuk. A good majority of Ottawa fans think they will go with toughness or defense. Zadina could be there at 5. How crazy would that be?

How crazy would it be if Carolina takes Tkachuk? Would MTL pass on Svech to go center? Probably not, but might throw off draft boards quiiiiiiiite a bit. Very real that Zadina may be there at 5.
I think a number of us foresaw Zadina at 5 a few weeks/months back only to be told we were crazy.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
It doesn't really matter but kinda surprised Svech can't speak English when he's been in NA for 2 years. He had a translator at the combine.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
It doesn't really matter but kinda surprised Svech can't speak English when he's been in NA for 2 years. He had a translator at the combine.
Might be more of a comfort thing for him. Easier for him to speak through a translator who a) doesn't have a heavy accent and b) can speak in complete sentences.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If you watch the longer interview, he switches to English by the end. He speaks English. Semin refused to speak English on camera for years after becoming fluent. I think it’s just insecurity.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
That makes more sense. I don't remember the language barrier being an issue for his brother, so I was surprised to see this with Andrei.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad