NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dobson
Zadina
Hughes/Bouchard/Tkachuk/Wahlstrom

I'm not against taking Zadina whatsoever, I'm just stating that it wouldn't/shouldn't be viewed as crazy or strange if he went in the 5-9 range.
Whoa whoa you said we wouldn’t be taking Dobson at four. Has something changed

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

You're thinking of bdp. He was the one who said we wouldn't be taking Dobson at 4.

I know he's proven to have inside info, but I sure hope he's wrong. Dobson is the BPA for me at 3 and would fill a tremendous need on the roster.

Reactions: Newgates59 and DJB

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Where would you have Kotkaniemi in that group is he's there at 4? So it's your feeling that Ottawa has Dobson higher than Zadina? Or that you have him higher?
Kotkaniemi is in the same tier as Zadina for me, so could go either way, though I prefer the rangy Center.

I haven't heard anything specific regarding Ottawa this season like I had the previous few, I don't have any clue where they have guys, other than a few tidbits from guys I trust. I know they liked Dobson all of last season, and was a guy they liked leading into this one. How high they like him right now, I'm unsure. They very well could have Zadina over him, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I personally would go Dobson, but that is just that, my personal opinion.
Out of curiosity, have you heard which player that guy had ranked as #1 from the Q?
Dobson and Zadina would be the only guys on anyone's list of the 1-2 from the Q.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No, that's my personal opinion. He asked me to name my top choices.

I have still heard, though possibly changed, that, at minimum, there are others that we liked "more" comparatively. How true that ends up being we may, or may not, see in the end. I could be way off, I'm not a reliable source on the matter this year. I know certain things about certain guys from certain teams, but nothing that lays out groundwork for what the Sens will be doing.

Last edited:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
People are way too hyped on Zadina. I’m in no way saying he’s not going to be a good player, but all the people that find it impossible that he drops out of the top 5 need a reality check.

I think where some of the second tier defenseman go will surprise some people.

If Zadina is there at 4 and the Sens pass, I wouldn’t be too disappointed.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People are way too hyped on Zadina. I’m in no way saying he’s not going to be a good player, but all the people that find it impossible that he drops out of the top 5 need a reality check.

Sens Twitter has hyped him through the roof so a lot of the people that form a lot of their opinions around what those people say are going to be livid if we don’t pick him

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Sens Twitter has hyped him through the roof so a lot of the people that form a lot of their opinions around what those people say are going to be livid if we don’t pick him

Or it could be the fact that he's a pure goal scorer with a wicked release and a relentless motor.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I will be happy with dobson or zadina! What do people think about the pens pick? Is there anyone around there with a very specific strong suit? Its nice to be excited for a draft woooooo!!

Reactions: senswon

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I will be happy with dobson or zadina! What do people think about the pens pick? Is there anyone around there with a very specific strong suit? Its nice to be excited for a draft woooooo!!

Would love either Bokk or Kaut at 22. I'd be ecstatic with either player.

Reactions: senswon

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If we plan on going one F and one D with our two picks i hooe we go D first then F. Seems to me the F around 22 are more plentiful and bountiful than the D.

If we walk away with Dobson and one of Kaut or Bokk that would be a heck of a draft

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
If we plan on going one F and one D with our two picks i hooe we go D first then F. Seems to me the F around 22 are more plentiful and bountiful than the D.

If we walk away with Dobson and one of Kaut or Bokk that would be a heck of a draft

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Also would be totally ok with grabbing two forwards. Zadina and Bokk/Kaut. Just load up that forward group!

Reactions: derriko and DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I wouldn't be opposed to that. Also would be totally ok with grabbing two forwards. Zadina and Bokk/Kaut. Just load up that forward group!

I think the majority of fans on here anyways will be happy if we take either Zadina or Dobson.

I think the more casual fan will want Tkachuk (and im not here to debate whether hes worthy of being taken at 4 , that's for Mann and Dorion to decide)

Reactions: Daffy

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas

It seems that picking forwards higher in the draft seems to be the safer pick vs the defenseman. I’d be excited with either Zadina / Tkachuk / Kotkaniemi at 4 and then a defenseman in the twenties.

Look at the top defenseman in the league. A majority of them were not early lottery picks. Defenseman usually don’t get picked in the top 3-5 unless they are can’t miss guys like Doughty or Ekblad. With that said, I’d be happy with Dobson, Hughes, and possibly Bouchard with the first pick. I don’t think they are can’t miss, but Definintely Blue chippers with #1 potential.

All in all, I think it’s stupid to pick the opposite position because you got another prospect there, especially a guy in the 20’s. They could take 3 years to make the league if at all. Who knows what will happen to the depth chart in that time.

Pick the guy you have highest on your list with every pick and if, and only if, you have guys rated equally you should go for position.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
It seems that picking forwards higher in the draft seems to be the safer pick vs the defenseman. I’d be excited with either Zadina / Tkachuk / Kotkaniemi at 4 and then a defenseman in the twenties.

Look at the top defenseman in the league. A majority of them were not early lottery picks. Defenseman usually don’t get picked in the top 3-5 unless they are can’t miss guys like Doughty or Ekblad. With that said, I’d be happy with Dobson, Hughes, and possibly Bouchard with the first pick. I don’t think they are can’t miss, but Definintely Blue chippers with #1 potential.

All in all, I think it’s stupid to pick the opposite position because you got another prospect there, especially a guy in the 20’s. They could take 3 years to make the league if at all. Who knows what will happen to the depth chart in that time.

Pick the guy you have highest on your list with every pick and if, and only if, you have guys rated equally you should go for position.

Oh i agree 100%, was just tossing out a sort of best care scenario. I could really care less if we select two D or two F or one of each it doesn't matter.

We all want the best player available

Reactions: derriko

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Ditto.

The more I watch the videos of Zadina, the less I like him. Kid really has to round out his game and do a lot more than just shoot the puck.

Reactions: Neiler

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Watching some videos of some of the Sens potential picks, I really hope that if Zadina isn't available, they go for Hughes. Bouchard and Dobson both look -good-, but Hughes just looks like he's got something special that separates him from the pack.

I know he's not BIG like Dobson, but 5'10 isn't that undersized for an NHL player - he's no St. Louis or Gerbe, and he's bigger than Karlsson was when we drafted him. Seeing him next to the other top prospects on HNIC a few weeks ago, he looked like the only one who hasn't finished puberty yet. I don't think that's a knock on him, since it means there may be room to grow physically

Dobson and Bouchard both look good, but they also look like guys who are likely to turn into decent 1st/2nd pair players, whereas Hughes looks like a game-breaker, which is what we should want at #4. If we're drafting at 4, I want a guy who can be a game-breaker. My only concern is that he's the position of least need for the Sens, as we've already got 2 solid prospects there in Wolanin and Chabot.

On a side-note, Canucks Army does some really good draft write-ups every year, where they compare players to historical cohorts based on production, style of play, and league, together with their own scouting reports. For what it's worth, here's links to the guys the Sens might think about picking at 4 (not counting Dahlin/Svechnikov at 1/2):

#3 - Filip Zadina - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #3 Filip Zadina
#4 - Quinn Hughes - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS: #4 Quinn Hughes
#5 - Oliver Wahlstrom - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS: #5 Oliver Wahlstrom
#6 - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #6 Jesperi Kotkaniemi
#7 - Evan Bouchard - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #7 Evan Bouchard
#8 - Ty Smith - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS: #8 Ty Smith
#9 - Brady Tkachuk - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS: #9 Brady Tkachuk
#10 - Adam Boqvist - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #10 Adam Boqvist
#11 - Isac Lundestrom - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #11 Isac Lundestrom
#12 - Noah Dobson - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #12 Noah Dobson

A few of the more surprising things to me:
  • They're incredibly high on Wahlstrom, based on his historic comparables, and have pegged him as the best bet to be a sure-fire impact NHLer after the top 2.
  • They've got Ty Smith ranked a lot higher than I expected. Their comparison of him and Dobson is interesting. On the other hand, he's only an inch taller than Hughes.
  • They're as high on Hughes as I am.
  • There's literally no historic comparables for Rasmus Dahlin. He's the only guy to do what he's done at his age.
  • They've got a good analysis of Bouchard's skating issues here: Should the Canucks Be Worried About Evan Bouchard’s Skating?. The interesting thing is that while his top-speed is OK, he has real problems with his agility and first 2 steps. I haven't watched Bouchard enough to know if they're on the mark here.

Last edited:
Reactions: derriko

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Watching some videos of some of the Sens potential picks, I really hope that if Zadina isn't available, they go for Hughes. Bouchard and Dobson both look -good-, but Hughes just looks like he's got something special that separates him from the pack.

I know he's not BIG like Dobson, but 5'10 isn't that undersized for an NHL player - he's no St. Louis or Gerbe, and he's bigger than Karlsson was when we drafted him. Looking at him next to the other top prospects on HNIC a few weeks ago, and he looks like the only one who hasn't finished puberty yet. I don't think that's a knock on him, since it means there may be room to grow physically

Dobson and Bouchard both look good, but they also look like guys who are likely to turn into decent 1st/2nd pair players, whereas Hughes looks like a game-breaker. If we're drafting at 4, I want a guy who can be a game-breaker. Hughes looks to be that guy on defense. My only concern is that he's the position of least need for the Sens, as we've already got 2 solid prospects there in Wolanin and Chabot.

On a side-note, Canucks Army does some really good draft write-ups every year, where they compare players to historical cohorts based on production, style of play, and league, together with their own scouting reports. For what it's worth, here's links to the guys the Sens might think about picking at 4 (not counting Dahlin/Svechnikov at 1/2):

#3 - Filip Zadina - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #3 Filip Zadina
#4 - Quinn Hughes - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS: #4 Quinn Hughes
#5 - Oliver Wahlstrom - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS: #5 Oliver Wahlstrom
#6 - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #6 Jesperi Kotkaniemi
#7 - Evan Bouchard - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #7 Evan Bouchard
#8 - Ty Smith - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS: #8 Ty Smith
#9 - Brady Tkachuk - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS: #9 Brady Tkachuk
#10 - Adam Boqvist - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #10 Adam Boqvist
#11 - Isac Lundestrom - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #11 Isac Lundestrom
#12 - Noah Dobson - CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #12 Noah Dobson

A few of the more surprising things to me:
  • They're incredibly high on Wahlstrom, based on his historic comparables, and have pegged him as the best bet to be a sure-fire impact NHLer after the top 2.
  • They've got Ty Smith ranked a lot higher than I expected. Their comparison of him and Dobson is interesting.
  • They're as high on Hughes as I am.
  • There's literally no historic comparables for Rasmus Dahlin. He's the only guy to do what he's done at his age.
  • They've got a good analysis of Bouchard's skating issues here: Should the Canucks Be Worried About Evan Bouchard’s Skating?. The interesting thing is that while his top-speed is OK, he has real problems with his agility and first 2 steps. I haven't watched Bouchard enough to know if they're on the mark here.
Word is he isn't 5-10, hence him refusing to be measured at the combine.

Wahlstrom, and especially Smith are much too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad