2018 Draft D-Men

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
sample size of 3.

one of which was Liljegren, who we heard the same crap about last year.

Small sample size... of seven, not three.

18-Year Old AHL Players - Regular Season Stats

This is a list of guys, who played more than 20 games at 18... some may be quoting other numbers, from smaller sample sets.

Having said that, yes Liljegren is on that list, and hasn't progressed this year offensively at all. Also on the list, Hampus Lindholm, Voynov, Kylington.

Yes, it's still a small sample size. Stats wise, he compares favourably to 19 years olds, of all time as well. Beyond stats watching, he's often been playing top pairing as of late, and doing well. He has a poised, calm game, and is getting plenty of ice time. Again, not making the argument that he should be top 5, or making any type of argument about his ranking at all. I think he's exceeded expectations on his draft position, has played very well, and has very good stats....he should be on the lists somewhere.

------------------------

Note also, the top scoring CHL D man this year, was a Leafs draft, from the 4th round in 2018, Mac Hollowell. Does that make him top ten... No, but then, he's certainly outperformed his draft position, and plenty of peers, at least from a scoring perspective. He's also an overager, should have been a 2017 draft, wasn't selected. Successful D-men can come from any round, so you never know.

Last edited:

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Assuming you have Dahlin #1, which of Boqvist, Smith, Hughes, Bouchard, and Dobson are they replacing? I don’t see it
I'd also put Miller and Wilde in top 5. Replacing Smith and Dobson. QJMHL and Whl are inferior leagues to NCAA and OHL.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
It's ok, reading comprehension is hard. 2nd in PPG for any U-19 position in NCAA, he's the tops in PPG for U-19 D-man

That list is previous top U-19 D-man in NCAA for previous ears.

Joel Farabee at 0.94
Miller at 0.84
When did Farabee move from forward to defense?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wonder for those who watch WHL games....where does Zamula rank now? He went undrafted, but certainly seems like 2nd rd talent now.

He has 55 points in 57 games this year. The 5 guys above him are:

Byram 68 pts in 63 games
Brook 66 in 53
Smith 65 in 53
Addison 62 in 63
Woo 56 in 56

Below him:

1st rounder Alexeyev 43 in 48

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
When I saw the Marlies vs le Rocket in Laval earlier this year I liked both Liljegren and Sandin. The former has a higher ceiling imo but could go either way depending on development. Hate the Leafs but one of their major recent successes is having a solid AHL organization and I hope the Rocket becomes like this with Bouchard at the helm.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
At least now you’re admitting he’s not at a point per game pace like you previously were.

There’s a reason he was hardly utilized on the US WJC team. He’s not a fully reliable top tier defenseman yet.

Yeah, because he was super sick...

Only thing I'm weary about with Wilde is the fact that he took a step down from last year when you look at the competition he faced. Going from facing NCAA teams to facing OHL players is a step down. I don't hate his decision, because I do think he was one of those players that needed a ton of reps, and also a player who might struggle early in the NCAA with the questionable IQ. It is looking like a good call on his part development wise though.

Agree, I think the schedule of an OHL team was best for his development, although his process in coming to that decision is sketchy.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I'm surprised that no list on here has Jett Woo. Curios to see where people would put him if he is not in their top 10 D? Given the year he has had, I'd assume he would be a sure fire 1st rounder in a re draft.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Wow. People really are sleeping on Ty Smith. He showed much better than Dobson and Bouchard at the WJC for starters. Smith has an absurd PPG while shooting a mere 3.5% (He was around 8 in his draft year ). Considering he doesn't really have a major weakness and his best two assets are IQ and skating, his upside is as high as anyone save Dahlin

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wow. People really are sleeping on Ty Smith. He showed much better than Dobson and Bouchard at the WJC for starters. Smith has an absurd PPG while shooting a mere 3.5% (He was around 8 in his draft year ). Considering he doesn't really have a major weakness and his best two assets are IQ and skating, his upside is as high as anyone save Dahlin

Sleeping on him? He's ranked 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th on the first page rankings.... He seems to be getting quite a bit of respect.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Sleeping on him? He's ranked 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th on the first page rankings.... He seems to be getting quite a bit of respect.

Dahlin
Hughes
Miller
Bouchard
Wilde

Reality is that Boqvist hasn't been good this season by any measure, Smith is still hampered by his size, Dobson has not had an exceptional season and hasn't shown much improvement.

1. Dahlin
2. Dobson
3. Hughes
4. Boqvist
5. Miller
6. Sandin
7. Alexeyev
8. Bouchard
9. Smith

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dahlin
Hughes
Miller
Bouchard
Wilde

Reality is that Boqvist hasn't been good this season by any measure, Smith is still hampered by his size, Dobson has not had an exceptional season and hasn't shown much improvement.

A series of very bad takes. I’d give you those four after Dahlin. I’ll take the three you dislike, and I suspect the three beats the four in career first place Norris votes.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Playing in the khl as an 18 year old defenseman and being named the best defenseman in the wjc

Romanov should definitely be ahead of guys like McIssac, Beaudin, and Merkley

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And in Boqvist's draft+1, he is far worse defensively than Bouchard was in his D-1.

Boqvist is really, really bad defensively.

How would you compare Bouchard this season to last season? Is he getting as much PP time as last season? Does he play on the same PP unit as Boqvist?

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
Adam Boqvist D+1View media item 4273
Evan Bouchard D-1View media item 4275
Not even close.

Those are Bouchard's D-2's numbers. I was talking about his 2017-2018 ones, the ones before he was drafted if I wasn't clear. Those numbers are:

Boqvist:
2018-19London KnightsOHL50193756
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Bouchard:
2017-18London KnightsOHL67256287
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If we're going to continuously use the argument that Boqvist is 10 months younger to justify his performance, why aren't his numbers at least comparable to Bouchard? Beyond that, Bouchard is also the better defensive player.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
How would you compare Bouchard this season to last season? Is he getting as much PP time as last season? Does he play on the same PP unit as Boqvist?
The Knight's powerplay has both Boqvist and Bouchard on it (along with a 3rd defenceman as the netfront presence for some reason).

I think Bouchard hasn't as dominant this year as he was last year. Frankly, he looks bored out there--and not in the colloquial sense that people think when they watch him play (he plays the game in a very methodical/efficient manner that people have always confused with laziness). He should have been in the NHL this year, I think. He would have tried more.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Knight's powerplay has both Boqvist and Bouchard on it (along with a 3rd defenceman as the netfront presence for some reason).

I think Bouchard hasn't as dominant this year as he was last year. Frankly, he looks bored out there--and not in the colloquial sense that people think when they watch him play (he plays the game in a very methodical/efficient manner that people have always confused with laziness). He should have been in the NHL this year, I think. He would have tried more.

Thanks. Next season whether it's AHL or NHL he'll have a challenge on his hands. IMO many people are underrating him, he looked NHL capable with the big club and should make it tough to send him to Bakersfield next season.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'd also put Miller and Wilde in top 5. Replacing Smith and Dobson. QJMHL and Whl are inferior leagues to NCAA and OHL.

Im an islanders fan and I love Wilde. I wanted him bad before the draft and was ecstatic that we got him. That being said, he’s not even close to Dobson. Dobson is the total package.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad