Value of: 2018 1st overall pick: What would your team be willing to give up?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
22 YO 60 point centre on the lowest scoring team in the league, who is still improving, and a top 5 pick? Depends on who wins the lottery, and where they are at in a rebuild, but that is a pretty good package.

Shouldn't the guy actually hit 60 before you call him a 60pt C?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Which team would actually trade the #1 overall pick if they get it? I can see maybe LA if they re-sign Doughty and decide they'd like Svechnikov + a haul of draft picks or prospects.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Why? He is not that good. If he is your #1C you are a very bad team.

We are a very bad team but you’re also underrating Bo. He’s a solid player. He’s trending as a 1A center. Canucks can’t afford to lose young long term depth down the middle. I’m all for adding franchise players, but not at the expense of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
"We'd like to offer your rebuilding team out 30 year old #1C for an 18 year old who's the most hyped defender in at least a decade."

Not to demean Backstrom's talent... But his age puts the kibosh on this immediately.

I wouldn't expect a rebuilding team to take that offer. That's just what the title is asking.

Hype is nice, but D prospects that are massively hyped often don't become the players they are expected to be. I'm sure someone laughed at the idea of being offered Joe Thornton for Erik Johnson in 2006 but look how that turned out. My point is, it's propably not a perfect offer for a team going through a lengthy rebuild, but it's far from terrible offer.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Timo Meier + 2018 1st + any defensive prospect + 2019 1st

Still doesn't come close. Likely have to part with Hertl/Couture instead.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
2018 1st overall pick: What would your team be willing to give up?

With Dahlin slated to go #1, we're talking about a guy with Connor McDavid/Auston Matthews pedigree and hype.

What would your team be willing to give up in order to acquire the 1st overall of 2018?

His pedigree is pretty f***ing far a way from McDavid :D

The guy is not worth the #1 pick.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Rangers 1st + Bruins 1st + Lightning 1st + Rangers 2nd + would take a cap dump back

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
If I'm 1st overall I ask for another 1st and this years 2nd on top of that. If Dahlin is at the level of a McDavid or Matthews he's worth at least that.
Hell ya. Habs 1st Hawks 2nd Caps 2nd and one of Mete/Juulsen.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
in todayd nhl 1oa do not get moved. there is nothing another team would realistically part with that would make it make sense.

Reactions: Mork

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I’d trade anyone not named Barkov or Ekblad, mostly because I wanna see what a Dahlin-Ekblad pairing would look like for the next decade.

Would prefer to keep Trocheck too but if he’s the main piece going for Dahlin I’d be open to the idea.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
24 years old in two week Center who only hit 50 points once is a 60 point center now?

He's been 22 this entire season. And he lead the team in scoring last year and he played with nobody , and would have finished second only behind a healthy Boeser this season. Its not hard to see he has 60 point potential.

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Rentals hold no value in this scenario since whoever ends up with the top pick almost certainly won’t be contending next season. Absolutely zero chance anybody would take this even if we weren’t talking about Dahlin at #1.

Only team that I could see even thinking about doing this is Edmonton. Would a Pacioretty (top line winger for McDavid) and a potentially top 5 pick (still get a great prospect) be enough to do it?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There are a boatload of nothing offers here, that don't even come close to getting 1st overall in any year, let alone this year with Dahlin. Any offer, would have to be something that pretty much everyone agrees is an insane overpayment. Example: Det would probably have to offer up Larkin, Mantha and their high-end 1st in 2018 (Top 6) to get the other team thinking deal, and even then probably doesn't get it done.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Brodie (@4m) + Fox + Andersson + Dube + next years 1 (1st overall protected) for Dahlin
Fox and Andersson both have top4 popotential, Dube has top 6 potential, Brodie is a top 4 now and the following 1st only protected if we win the lottery and the team gets the 3rd rounder and the following years 1st

*also throw in Gillies or Parsons :) *

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1st
Nylander

I don't think I could go for much more then that.

I mean what happens if he busts?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
22 YO 60 point centre on the lowest scoring team in the league, who is still improving, and a top 5 pick? Depends on who wins the lottery, and where they are at in a rebuild, but that is a pretty good package.

Well, they have Pettersson and Boeser up front, trading up for Dahlin is not outrageous for Vancouver, it just depends on what pick Vancouver gets, 2nd OA? Maybe not-ish. 5th overall I would genuinely consider it, but I’m not a GM.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
No one. Alexandre Daigle, was compared to Pat LaFontaine, Joe Sakic, Rocket Richard and Steve Yzerman and how did that work out.
  • "I’m glad I got drafted first, because no one remembers no. 2." Alexandre Daigle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad