GDT: 2018-19 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which new addition are most looking forward to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I like Zadorov with Barrie. They really started to mesh last season when EJ went down.

I like it too...I like the balance of:

G - EJ
Z - Barrie
Nemeth - Cole
Barbs

Not a huge fan of Cole playing on his off side (even though he has done it before) but it is what it is.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Kerfoot-Jost-Compher
Nieto-Soderberg-Calvert
Wilson-Kamenev-Ghetto

Girard-EJ
Zadorov-Barrie
Nemeth-Cole

Is this Bednar's plan as of right now?

I like this potential fourth line. While I like Kerfoot-Jost-Compher, I would like some size on that line to complement the skill level.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Alright lads, here are my thoughts on day 2.

- Jersey situation still not fixed.

- MVP of group 2 was Mikko Rantanen and MVP of group 1 was easily Tyson Jost. Rantanen is becoming more like Blake Wheeler every day. His physical toughness with the puck was unbelievable, he out-muscled dudes with one hand in some of the drills. His mobility hasn't lost a step and his two-way game is up there with Landeskog's. Jost though was freckin' amazing and this isn't a hyperbole. He looked stronger, faster, and even more creative than I have ever seen him. I see that there were some tweets by Dario above about him walking EJ and yes he absolutely walked him. Not only that, but the guy has a snipe of shot that he could realistically be a 25 goalscorer in his prime. Tyson was absolutely fantastic today, easily the best player out there.

- Calvert was more flashy today and showed why the Avs brought him in. Actually that line of Compher/Calvert/O'Connor was very good.

- Which brings me to my next thought, I might seriously have to eat a crow on O'Connor. I don't know how Avs saw some talent here nor am I saying he will ever be an NHLer, but I have been extremely impressed by him since day one of prospect camp. He was one of the better players again.

- Compher was good.

- Kaut was also wonderful and showed why Avs grabbed him in the 1st round. Again there is some rawness to his game, but the offencive awareness is definitely up there with Jost's. Not only that, but his defencive game is so underappreciated.

- Shvyrev is looking a tad raw as well. He makes all these fantastic plays with the puck, but always does something wrong in the final third. He has a good shot, but fanned on some glorious opportunities today. Surprisingly, him and Greer have been by far the two most physical players at TC beside the defenders.

- Quite liked Barberio today and Alt made some nice plays.

- Wow, this team with Barrie is so different without him. Barrie is a wizard with the puck and definitely makes our team better (and I say this as not a huge Barrie fan). That D-pairing with Zadorov was very fun to watch, however it might be fun for other teams as well. Had absolutely no issues about big Z; it's hilarious because he's dishing out hits in a orange sweater, but nobody else can touch him (so unfair). :laugh: He got Rantanen on a good one today

- Kamenev was meh, better than yesterday though.

- Also not sure if Toninato will be on the final roster. Not saying he's a bust, but he hasn't really shined out at all and we have some legitimate players eyeing for that position.

- Do not like Nemeth - Cole pairing, however Johnson - Girard is very fun to watch. It's weird, but they compliment each other so well.

- Kevin Davis was quite good today.

- Ryan Graves should be one of the first cuts, complete AHLer for life.

- Josh Anderson could realistically have worse off puck skills than Duncan Siemens.

- The Nantel/Dickinson/Boucher line is definitely the worst line at training camp.

- The Jost/Kerfoot/Kaut line is so much fun.

- Lindholm was night and day out there for the better. Actually looked like an NHL defender.

- Now for the goalers; Varlamov was very good today (got hit like three times in the mask though) and would say he was tied with Martin as the best ones. I love Francouz compete level and Cannata is still cannon fodder. Grubauer was awful I thought, it looks like he's not really taking TC seriously IMHO.

- Everyone else was meh that they were not worth mentioning.

- Not sure what happened to Meloche, Warsofsky, or Boikov, but none of them have been here the two days.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I sense Kamenev will work his way onto the second line over Compher.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Jost though was freckin' amazing and this isn't a hyperbole. He looked stronger, faster, and even more creative than I have ever seen him. I see that there were some tweets by Dario above about him walking EJ and yes he absolutely walked him. Not only that, but the guy has a snipe of shot that he could realistically be a 25 goalscorer in his prime. Tyson was absolutely fantastic today, easily the best player out there.

giphy.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like it. Cole will likely take Girard’s spot in the D zone and in the late in games. It’s a top pairing role while still getting an appropriate amount of sheltering.

I suspect you're probably right. Bednar and Pratt don't mind mixing D partners during games. Girard got this treatment a bit last year, and I would bet he will again to start until he proves himself a bit more.

They didn't bring in Cole to be a full time 3rd pairing guy. He'll move around to stabilize the blueline.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I imagine Cole will be on the 3rd pairing with major PK duty and when the games are closing out he'll sub in for Barrie/Girard for a shutdown pairing

Reactions: MarkT

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
MVP of group 2 was Mikko Rantanen and MVP of group 1 was easily Tyson Jost. Rantanen is becoming more like Blake Wheeler every day. His physical toughness with the puck was unbelievable, he out-muscled dudes with one hand in some of the drills.

That was great to read. I criticized him a lot last year because he was bad on many plays (especially earlier in the year) even though he had good stats, but if he can have the stats AND be good like that, oh my.

Kamenev was meh, better than yesterday though

Do you think it's a lack of heart or limited skills? Or maybe because of his injury?

Grubauer was awful I thought, it looks like he's not really taking TC seriously IMHO..

Not a fan of reading this.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Alright lads, here are my thoughts on day 2.

- Jersey situation still not fixed.

- MVP of group 2 was Mikko Rantanen and MVP of group 1 was easily Tyson Jost. Rantanen is becoming more like Blake Wheeler every day. His physical toughness with the puck was unbelievable, he out-muscled dudes with one hand in some of the drills. His mobility hasn't lost a step and his two-way game is up there with Landeskog's. Jost though was freckin' amazing and this isn't a hyperbole. He looked stronger, faster, and even more creative than I have ever seen him. I see that there were some tweets by Dario above about him walking EJ and yes he absolutely walked him. Not only that, but the guy has a snipe of shot that he could realistically be a 25 goalscorer in his prime. Tyson was absolutely fantastic today, easily the best player out there.

- Calvert was more flashy today and showed why the Avs brought him in. Actually that line of Compher/Calvert/O'Connor was very good.

- Which brings me to my next thought, I might seriously have to eat a crow on O'Connor. I don't know how Avs saw some talent here nor am I saying he will ever be an NHLer, but I have been extremely impressed by him since day one of prospect camp. He was one of the better players again.

- Compher was good.

- Kaut was also wonderful and showed why Avs grabbed him in the 1st round. Again there is some rawness to his game, but the offencive awareness is definitely up there with Jost's. Not only that, but his defencive game is so underappreciated.

- Shvyrev is looking a tad raw as well. He makes all these fantastic plays with the puck, but always does something wrong in the final third. He has a good shot, but fanned on some glorious opportunities today. Surprisingly, him and Greer have been by far the two most physical players at TC beside the defenders.

- Quite liked Barberio today and Alt made some nice plays.

- Wow, this team with Barrie is so different without him. Barrie is a wizard with the puck and definitely makes our team better (and I say this as not a huge Barrie fan). That D-pairing with Zadorov was very fun to watch, however it might be fun for other teams as well. Had absolutely no issues about big Z; it's hilarious because he's dishing out hits in a orange sweater, but nobody else can touch him (so unfair). :laugh: He got Rantanen on a good one today

- Kamenev was meh, better than yesterday though.

- Also not sure if Toninato will be on the final roster. Not saying he's a bust, but he hasn't really shined out at all and we have some legitimate players eyeing for that position.

- Do not like Nemeth - Cole pairing, however Johnson - Girard is very fun to watch. It's weird, but they compliment each other so well.

- Kevin Davis was quite good today.

- Ryan Graves should be one of the first cuts, complete AHLer for life.

- Josh Anderson could realistically have worse off puck skills than Duncan Siemens.

- The Nantel/Dickinson/Boucher line is definitely the worst line at training camp.

- The Jost/Kerfoot/Kaut line is so much fun.

- Lindholm was night and day out there for the better. Actually looked like an NHL defender.

- Now for the goalers; Varlamov was very good today (got hit like three times in the mask though) and would say he was tied with Martin as the best ones. I love Francouz compete level and Cannata is still cannon fodder. Grubauer was awful I thought, it looks like he's not really taking TC seriously IMHO.

- Everyone else was meh that they were not worth mentioning.

- Not sure what happened to Meloche, Warsofsky, or Boikov, but none of them have been here the two days.
For Kaut... Does the rawness seem like they'll want him in the AHL for a year, or does he actually seem like he'll challenge for an NHL spot soon? I recall being unimpressed by him in the prospect tournament myself, so definitely wondering if he changed that impression up a bit.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Grubauer better be taking it seriously, Varly isn't going to just hand him the starting role and there's a promising KHL star in our farm team now.

Reactions: Murzu

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I know it’s not directly related to training camp, but last year at a Flames game I was watching warmups and thought Jost had arguably the hardest wrist shot on the team. If his shot has gone up any and his illusiveness and speed have increased he’s going to be a mini-Parize for us.

I said it last year around this time, but I’ll reiterate it. I really believe the 2019/20 is our year to be competitive. If we can add a top 5 pick as well as Makar, Bowers and Kaut to an already good team I believe we’ll become a force. Just imagine the following lines:
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Jost-Cozens-Kaut
Nieto-Bowers-Compher
Greer-Sodaberg-Calvert
Girard-Johnson
Zadorov-Barrie
Cole-Makar
Grubauer
Fracouz

Which still leaves us with our first round pick this year, Timmins and Meloche to be developing nicely and the opportunity to improve areas even more by trade.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

Can't even begin to describe how happy this makes me. No more doe-legged Rants! Dude's gonna PPG again <3

Reactions: Lemonlimey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad