2018-19 Standing Predictions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The underrating of the Wild on this forum is longstanding but is reaching a new level of ridiculousness. They may get knocked out of the playoffs early every year but that doesn't make them the worst team in the Central. They are not going to finish in last place and will probably make the playoffs.

Every team in the central is going to be competing for a playoff spot. Its honestly the hardest division to pick this year, and I just felt that Chicago is going to have a comeback year. Either way, I don't see anyone in the central having less than 85 points.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I forgot the :sarcasm:

Hedman was a beast last year lmao. Kuch wasn’t good after Christmas but we have the depth to survive if he has another down year.

I thought my crack at Hedman was an obvious joke hah. He was awesome. Its not like he wasnt not good, he just wasnt producing at the rate he was in the fall.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens will be rested and have a full off season to get ready for the grind. Pens came within a post shot from going to the EC finals. a well rested and motivated Pens will be a very good team this year.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Doesn't matter how you format it, whether its by division, conference, or the entire league in general. Now just wait until my predictions turn out to be a total joke (also, brackets commenting/poking fun at certain teams are optional and recommended touch).

Pacific Division (Yes, the old guard of Anaheim and LA will be finished this year):
1. San Jose Sharks (Evander Kane better be worth it)
2. Vegas Golden Knights (lose a few free agents but sign Erik Karlsson and still be amazing :)).
3. Calgary Flames (don't turn to glass again Smith...)
4. Edmonton Oilers (you have no depth... but Mcdavid will get 120 points and carry you)
5. Los Angeles Kings (I mean you guys were amazing back in 2014 I guess?)
6. Arizona Coyotes
7. Vancouver Canucks (Few years out. Once that defense is built and the depth is improved, you guys could be back in the hunt)
8. Anaheim Ducks (last years sweep is a sign of things to come... also I hate you)

Central Division (its gonna be a bloodbath. I could see all the teams above .500 in this conference):
1. Winnipeg Jets (Best odds for cup in my opinion)
2. Dallas Stars (You better hope Ben Bishop stays healthy this time).
3. Nashville Predators (#PekkaRinneIsnttoogoodrightnow)
4. Chicago Blackhawks
5. Colorado Avalanche
6. St. Louis Blues
7. Minnesota Wild (I really don't know how this happened... the central is just too stacked)

Metro Division (6 or 7 of these teams are gonna be fighting for a playoff spot... massive bloodbath here as well):
1. Pittsburgh Penguins (Murray had an off year and you still got 100 points. That core still has a few more years left in it)
2. Washington Capitals
3. Columbus Blue Jackets (Really rooting for these guys to finally win a playoff series)
4. New York Islanders (Lou Lamoriello is the saviour of long island)
5. Carolina Hurricanes (I'm assuming they finally rid themselves of the mediocrity of Ward and trade the other dumpster fire in net)
6. New Jersey Devils
7. Philadelphia Flyers
8. New York Rangers (Rebuilding. Won't be contending for at least a few years)

Atlantic Division (bottom 4 teams need to get their **** together):
1. Tampa Bay Lightning
2. Toronto Maple Leafs (Jake Garner is worth 10 first round picks and our team is beastly :D)
3. Florida Panthers (assuming management doesn't **** the team up again)
4. Boston Bruins
5. Montreal Canadiens (Carey Price will be amazing again... too bad all your scoring is gone)
6. Buffalo Sabres (Dahlin is amazing but still not enough. Still a couple years off)
7. Detroit Red Wings
8. Ottawa Senators (You guys are gonna be dead last btw. I'm so sorry guys :()

I agree 100 per cent with your West picks. I agree mostly with the Metro (Philly looks a little low). In the Atlantic, I'd put Boston second and Montreal last.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I agree 100 per cent with your West picks. I agree mostly with the Metro (Philly looks a little low). In the Atlantic, I'd put Boston second and Montreal last.

I could see Anaheim ahead of the Canucks, but I do think they are really primed for a rebuild (so is Los Angeles). The Metro is another one of those divisions that are hard to pick out, and I could certainly see Philly making the playoffs. As for Boston being 4th, their core is really starting to age and I think it'll reflect in the standings. Montreal totally depends on how Carey Price plays next year (if he sucks like he did this year, they'll be fighting for last in the Atlantic for sure).

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im normally a mn wild homer but i feel we're not firing on all 8 cylinders. i can see us dropping from 100 points to the low 90's missing the playoffs. all bets are off if we land or trade for a big fish this summer. bottom line i cant see staal & zucker carrying this team again to a 100 point season.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Where is the optimism for Dallas coming from? Did I miss something?

They were in it until Bishop got injured. They under performed last year and had an awful late season slump (similar to the flames but not as bad). They should make it this year.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The Penguins cleared out a lot of cap space, its clear they are in the market for someone like Skinner, Neal, maybe even a trade for Karlsson is possible if they want to go for it again in the short term and worry about signing him next summer. They finish first and win another cup with ease if this happens. I have a weird feeling that he ends up in Pittsburgh this summer.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
No, they are probably the team in the Central that is most likely to miss the playoffs.
I hope so, but last year was considered a massive disappointment for them because they were pegged by many to contend for the top spot in the Central. We'll have to see where Tavares ends up before we say where Dallas will end up.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
I hope so, but last year was considered a massive disappointment for them because they were pegged by many to contend for the top spot in the Central. We'll have to see where Tavares ends up before we say where Dallas will end up.
Chasing one elite offensive player will not help them, and I think it is partially that mentality that has hurt them. They have gotten hype by signing coveted offensive free agents but their defense isn't good enough and they haven't done enough to make it better.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I thought my crack at Hedman was an obvious joke hah. He was awesome. Its not like he wasnt not good, he just wasnt producing at the rate he was in the fall.
kucherov produced fine after Christmas actually, not as much as pre but still solid. but his effort level completely fell off.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I forgot the :sarcasm:

Hedman was a beast last year lmao. Kuch wasn’t good after Christmas but we have the depth to survive if he has another down year.

Man if he had a down year last year Ill take that performance every time. Except late in the playoffs Kuch. That Kuch can begone!

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The problem with predicting next season is that mentally everyone bases their guesses on past performances. I think this season proved that you might as well roll a die. Nobody saw Ottawa sucking or Vegas dominating, or Colorado making the playoffs. Or the Oilers missing the playoffs. All of these things just happened and are now reality. Resetting your mind is impossible though. I am going to try though:

PACIFIC

1. Oilers
2. Kings
3. Flames
4. Sharks
5. Canucks
6. Coyotes
7. Ducks
8. Knights

The Oilers have too much talent. The Flames will start showing some of theirs too. The new-look Canucks will rally and almost make the playoffs. But the Sharks lead by Paul Stastny just edge them for a playoff spot. The Ducks are due for a fall. Pacific teams start figuring out the Knights, and they make the decision to tank in January, falling a couple spots in the process.

CENTRAL

1. Jets
2. Predators
3. Stars
4. Avalanche
5. Blues
6. Wild
7. Blackhawks

Dallas gets their act together and challenge the top two teams. The next three teams finish in a tight pack, with Colorado winning a playoff spot (I literally rolled a die). The Blackhawks are now the worst team in the league.

METROPOLITAN

1. Blue Jackets
2. Penguins
3. Capitals
4. Hurricanes
5. Devils
6. Rangers
7. Islanders
8. Flyers

Tavares joins the Blue Jackets and lights up the Metropolitan division on his way to Art Ross. Capitals struggle early, still manage to get to the playoffs but don't get home ice. The Islanders suck all season, but after Couturier breaks a leg in December, it's the Flyers who become a top lottery team. The Hurricanes finish 4th but miss the playoffs because suddenly the top division in the league, against all odds, is the...

ATLANTIC

1. Lightning
2. Maple Leafs
3. Bruins
4. Sabres
5. Panthers
6. Senators
7. Red Wings
8. Canadiens

The Leafs challenge the Bolts for the top spot. The improvements by Buffalo & Florida see them both advance to the playoffs, and even the Senators are not far out. They are in the playoff race all the way to the end and opt not to trade away EK65, so he becomes an UFA in the summer. The inflated point totals by the top 6 teams are somehow explained by the magnitude of suckage both Detroit & Montreal display throughout the season, as they join Philly, Isles, Vegas & Chicago in the hunt for Jack Hughes. I just rolled another die, and the top pick goes to Chicago. Yay.

Oh yeah, and the Stanley Cup goes to LA, as they defeat the Leafs in 4 straight games.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
The underrating of the Wild on this forum is longstanding but is reaching a new level of ridiculousness. They may get knocked out of the playoffs early every year but that doesn't make them the worst team in the Central. They are not going to finish in last place and will probably make the playoffs.
I don’t see a reason that they are better than any other team in the central. Doesn’t make them bad. Just makes the central really good

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
The problem with predicting next season is that mentally everyone bases their guesses on past performances. I think this season proved that you might as well roll a die. Nobody saw Ottawa sucking or Vegas dominating, or Colorado making the playoffs. Or the Oilers missing the playoffs. All of these things just happened and are now reality. Resetting your mind is impossible though. I am going to try though:

PACIFIC

1. Oilers
2. Kings
3. Flames
4. Sharks
5. Canucks
6. Coyotes
7. Ducks
8. Knights

The Oilers have too much talent. The Flames will start showing some of theirs too. The new-look Canucks will rally and almost make the playoffs. But the Sharks lead by Paul Stastny just edge them for a playoff spot. The Ducks are due for a fall. Pacific teams start figuring out the Knights, and they make the decision to tank in January, falling a couple spots in the process.

CENTRAL

1. Jets
2. Predators
3. Stars
4. Avalanche
5. Blues
6. Wild
7. Blackhawks

Dallas gets their act together and challenge the top two teams. The next three teams finish in a tight pack, with Colorado winning a playoff spot (I literally rolled a die). The Blackhawks are now the worst team in the league.

METROPOLITAN

1. Blue Jackets
2. Penguins
3. Capitals
4. Hurricanes
5. Devils
6. Rangers
7. Islanders
8. Flyers

Tavares joins the Blue Jackets and lights up the Metropolitan division on his way to Art Ross. Capitals struggle early, still manage to get to the playoffs but don't get home ice. The Islanders suck all season, but after Couturier breaks a leg in December, it's the Flyers who become a top lottery team. The Hurricanes finish 4th but miss the playoffs because suddenly the top division in the league, against all odds, is the...

ATLANTIC

1. Lightning
2. Maple Leafs
3. Bruins
4. Sabres
5. Panthers
6. Senators
7. Red Wings
8. Canadiens

The Leafs challenge the Bolts for the top spot. The improvements by Buffalo & Florida see them both advance to the playoffs, and even the Senators are not far out. They are in the playoff race all the way to the end and opt not to trade away EK65, so he becomes an UFA in the summer. The inflated point totals by the top 6 teams are somehow explained by the magnitude of suckage both Detroit & Montreal display throughout the season, as they join Philly, Isles, Vegas & Chicago in the hunt for Jack Hughes. I just rolled another die, and the top pick goes to Chicago. Yay.

Oh yeah, and the Stanley Cup goes to LA, as they defeat the Leafs in 4 straight games.

Barry Melrose? Is that you?

Reactions: BernieParent

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Pierre Dorion said with confidence that the Ottawa Senators will be a playoff team...

???

I still predict them to be last in the Atlantic division.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Doesn't matter how you format it, whether its by division, conference, or the entire league in general. Now just wait until my predictions turn out to be a total joke (also, brackets commenting/poking fun at certain teams are optional and recommended touch).

Pacific Division (Yes, the old guard of Anaheim and LA will be finished this year):
1. San Jose Sharks (Evander Kane better be worth it)
2. Vegas Golden Knights (lose a few free agents but sign Erik Karlsson and still be amazing :)).
3. Calgary Flames (don't turn to glass again Smith...)
4. Edmonton Oilers (you have no depth... but Mcdavid will get 120 points and carry you)
5. Los Angeles Kings (I mean you guys were amazing back in 2014 I guess?)
6. Arizona Coyotes
7. Vancouver Canucks (Few years out. Once that defense is built and the depth is improved, you guys could be back in the hunt)
8. Anaheim Ducks (last years sweep is a sign of things to come... also I hate you)

Central Division (its gonna be a bloodbath. I could see all the teams above .500 in this conference):
1. Winnipeg Jets (Best odds for cup in my opinion)
2. Dallas Stars (You better hope Ben Bishop stays healthy this time).
3. Nashville Predators (#PekkaRinneIsnttoogoodrightnow)
4. Chicago Blackhawks
5. Colorado Avalanche
6. St. Louis Blues
7. Minnesota Wild (I really don't know how this happened... the central is just too stacked)

Metro Division (6 or 7 of these teams are gonna be fighting for a playoff spot... massive bloodbath here as well):
1. Pittsburgh Penguins (Murray had an off year and you still got 100 points. That core still has a few more years left in it)
2. Washington Capitals
3. Columbus Blue Jackets (Really rooting for these guys to finally win a playoff series)
4. New York Islanders (Lou Lamoriello is the saviour of long island)
5. Carolina Hurricanes (I'm assuming they finally rid themselves of the mediocrity of Ward and trade the other dumpster fire in net)
6. New Jersey Devils
7. Philadelphia Flyers
8. New York Rangers (Rebuilding. Won't be contending for at least a few years)

Atlantic Division (bottom 4 teams need to get their **** together):
1. Tampa Bay Lightning
2. Toronto Maple Leafs (Jake Garner is worth 10 first round picks and our team is beastly :D)
3. Florida Panthers (assuming management doesn't **** the team up again)
4. Boston Bruins
5. Montreal Canadiens (Carey Price will be amazing again... too bad all your scoring is gone)
6. Buffalo Sabres (Dahlin is amazing but still not enough. Still a couple years off)
7. Detroit Red Wings
8. Ottawa Senators (You guys are gonna be dead last btw. I'm so sorry guys :()

-Penguins went from 19 back to backs, most in the league, down to 10. We get a way easier schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad