Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Well, the good news is Mahura is waiver exempt so you can give him some games with the Ducks, see how he does & make a decision based on that. You’re not committing to keeping him with the team for the remainder of the season by giving him a look. If he fits, he can stay. If he needs work, no risk taken and you send him on down the I-5 back to the Gulls.

The way things have gone it certainly is worth a look.
I don't want Mahura playing in this mess. It is his first season as a pro and dmen need more development time than forwards usually. I'd keep him right where he is the rest of the season and reevaluate next camp.

Larsson is a guy that needs to take advantage of Pettersson's early season struggles. This is now basically his 5th season of professional hockey. I know he is still very young but it would be nice to see him come up and show some potential at least

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't want Mahura playing in this mess. It is his first season as a pro and dmen need more development time than forwards usually. I'd keep him right where he is the rest of the season and reevaluate next camp.

Larsson is a guy that needs to take advantage of Pettersson's early season struggles. This is now basically his 5th season of professional hockey. I know he is still very young but it would be nice to see him come up and show some potential at least
At this point the system is making Lindholm fowler Montour and manson look like garbage.... doubt anyone can make this system look less shitty.

But I do think Larsson would be > Pettersson, Pettersson has seemed to take a step back.

wraparound

May 17, 2014

Age & maturity aren’t exactly transitive in these situations. Giving Mahura a taste of NHL action (regardless of how messed up the current situation is) can only benefit him. He’s not so soft and impressionable that a game or two under Carlyle is going to ruin his development forever. Give the kid some credit, eh?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Age & maturity aren’t exactly transitive in these situations. Giving Mahura a taste of NHL action (regardless of how messed up the current situation is) can only benefit him. He’s not so soft and impressionable that a game or two under Carlyle is going to ruin his development forever. Give the kid some credit, eh?
It’s not about age for me, it’s about experience and the situation you’re bringing him into.

I’m very high on Josh Mahura. I had him as one of our top 3 prospects. Having said that, I’d rather he learn defense in a different system than this one

wraparound

May 17, 2014
It’s not about age for me, it’s about experience and the situation you’re bringing him into.

I’m very high on Josh Mahura. I had him as one of our top 3 prospects. Having said that, I’d rather he learn defense in a different system than this one
I think you might be missing my point. He wouldn’t come up to learn defense but to play his game as is. If that game helps the team, he should stay. If not, he can easily get reassigned. A handful of crap games under Randy aren’t going to ruin him by any stretch of the imagination.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

More succinctly, we want him to learn defense. The current situation is making 4 defensemen we KNOW can play as a high level top 4 look like waiver wire material. He’s not going to learn anything valuable from being here.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Good thing we gave him a 1.3 million contract.

I still can't comprehend why Bob is so infatuated with terrible defensemen. With that money, he could've taken a shot at another UFA from the NCAA or Euro elite leagues. You know, someone with some actual upside...

I think you might be missing my point. He wouldn’t come up to learn defense but to play his game as is. If that game helps the team, he should stay. If not, he can easily get reassigned. A handful of crap games under Randy aren’t going to ruin him by any stretch of the imagination.

To me, this is starting to sound like the Ritchie argument all over again.

15-16 Ducks had a terrible start and Ritchie was looking like a goal scoring machine in San Diego, so Bob prematurely yanked him from the AHL to "improve the team". The jury is still out whether that move completely derailed Ritchie's development, to the point where many posters here were demanding for him to get traded for failing to live up to expectations (not necessarily "blaming" anyone here for that opinion, I'm just saying). The main difference here is that Mahura isn't even lighting up the AHL yet, which makes him even greener and more unproven than Ritchie was.

Injuries, underperformance from several roster players and the guy behind the bench form the triad of why the team sucks right now. I just can't see how calling up Mahura, a rookie defenseman, would change any of that. And even if we were (foolishly) trying to solve said triad by calling up people from the AHL, I can't see why Mahura would leapfrog Larsson, who hasn't been given a proper NHL opportunity in two years.

Reactions: Elvs

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
ANA should be thinking long-term with regards to Lundeström, Steel, Terry, Comtois and all the other rookies. There's absolutely no reason to rush any of them.

But if they're going to play, they need to be playing with veterans. 1 rookie at most per line, like we saw with Comtois/Henrique/Silfver, Rakell/Getzlaf/Terry... That's one thing I've always liked about San Jose, how they've (mostly) handled their rookies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'm OK with it. Won't solve anything but Welinski needs one more chance to see if he is worth keeping past this season. And Larsson needs to show something

Reactions: Ducks DVM

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
If Larsson can't beat out Pettersson on current form, then I don't think he'll ever be an NHL defenceman.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What are their practice habits ? What is their training ? This happens every season. Injuries are random but not like this multiple times.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I can't be the only one who can't stand how our organization handles UFA. We always sign these shitty tweeners and crappy defensemen. Why don't we ever try to sign college prospects, KHLers, or maybe overpay for one decent player that's going to help instead of racking up a bunch of cap on players that don't provide anything? This is why I think it's time for Bob to go. He doesn't seem to be interested in keeping up with the times and other teams in the league.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I can't be the only one who can't stand how our organization handles UFA. We always sign these ****ty tweeners and crappy defensemen. Why don't we ever try to sign college prospects, KHLers, or maybe overpay for one decent player that's going to help instead of racking up a bunch of cap on players that don't provide anything? This is why I think it's time for Bob to go. He doesn't seem to be interested in keeping up with the times and other teams in the league.
We got Sherwood and kossila

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I love Sherwood but we're never in the mix for any of the top guys that become available.
Ya those top guys like Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd, Alzner, Okposo, Moulson, etc. It's pretty rare that a 'top' UFA works out as well as you hope. Tavares is an obvious outlier. I know it sucks watching us sign 6/7 D and 4th liners, but how glad are you we don't have one of those other deals I just mentioned? We can't take any of those risks with how our roster is structured right now.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Ya those top guys like Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd, Alzner, Okposo, Moulson, etc. It's pretty rare that a 'top' UFA works out as well as you hope. Tavares is an obvious outlier. I know it sucks watching us sign 6/7 D and 4th liners, but how glad are you we don't have one of those other deals I just mentioned? We can't take any of those risks with how our roster is structured right now.
I mean in terms in NCAA prospects

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I mean in terms in NCAA prospects
Gotcha, I guess I just put your last 2 posts in this thread together in my head. And a lot of times the top NCAA UFAs (not all of them) already have a few favorites in mind before they're even able to sign with a team. As for Euro FAs, I don't have an answer for you.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I can't be the only one who can't stand how our organization handles UFA. We always sign these ****ty tweeners and crappy defensemen. Why don't we ever try to sign college prospects, KHLers, or maybe overpay for one decent player that's going to help instead of racking up a bunch of cap on players that don't provide anything? This is why I think it's time for Bob to go. He doesn't seem to be interested in keeping up with the times and other teams in the league.

Most top college free agents have like 25+ teams offering them the same max ELC, and most of them turn out to be flops anyway. Can't fault any team for not getting an impact from college FAs.

Also let me remind you of this little thing called a salary cap that we've been jammed up against for two years now, while managing to get all of young talent locked up to reasonable contracts. Which of those guys would you have liked to sacrifice in order to make room for an over priced UFA?

We have enough worrisome contracts as is, I'm extremely glad that we don't have an additional overpriced vet on the books right now.

Reactions: Paul4587 and dracom

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Most top college free agents have like 25+ teams offering them the same max ELC, and most of them turn out to be flops anyway. Can't fault any team for not getting an impact from college FAs.

Also let me remind you of this little thing called a salary cap that we've been jammed up against for two years now, while managing to get all of young talent locked up to reasonable contracts. Which of those guys would you have liked to sacrifice in order to make room for an over priced UFA?

We have enough worrisome contracts as is, I'm extremely glad that we don't have an additional overpriced vet on the books right now.
Well Rowney, Sustr, Gibbons, Street, and Aberg make almost 5 million combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad