2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 3: Started from the bottom now we're here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Yeah, his eye test last season still wasn’t great, but I think people’s reactions were colored a bit by his performance under Bylsma.

Overall, his performance last year was somewhere between the two data points.
Quoting myself because Kane’s zone exits, entries and shot contributions all got better under Housley.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I have no interest in signing Skinner longterm at $9.5 million a season. I think we would regret it as early as next year. He's a nice player, but I'm always SUPER wary of players who perform like this in contract years. I know a lot of people around here want to give him a blank check, but I just do not feel comfortable doing that. If I had to guess, next season he goes back to his normal production of around 25 goals and ~50 points.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I have no interest in signing Skinner longterm at $9.5 million a season. I think we would regret it as early as next year. He's a nice player, but I'm always SUPER wary of players who perform like this in contract years. I know a lot of people around here want to give him a blank check, but I just do not feel comfortable doing that. If I had to guess, next season he goes back to his normal production of around 25 goals and ~50 points.
I guess that depends who his centre is.If its Jack no way he gets 50 points however i agree with 9.5 .Give him 7.8 to 8.2 for 6 years

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
As much crap as I've give Scandella this year it's pretty apparent that they miss his presence out there. When it's all said and done he is pretty steady defenseman (outside of the occasional PK gaff) .
I think he has been playing hurt till he went on IR.Not saying slot buy he was their 2nd best D last year

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I'd like to see what we have with some of the young prospects before we make big decisions like signing Skinner. How about a top line of Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson?

Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson
Nylander-Reinhart-Thompson
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Berglund-Larsson-Girgensons

The key is that the team needs to play team defense. Secondary scoring should improve. However, the one thing that keeps coaches up at night are specific situations like penalty killing, late game leads, etc. Young prospects have to prove that they can be counted on in order to stick with the big club.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

Botterill could be any of us or maybe Friedman picks up his quotes from here?
So, Berglund+Beaulieu+3rd for Gudbranson? Maybe Vancouver can flip Beaulieu for a late pick as well.

Reasoning:
I’d rather have Gudbranson on the third pairing than Berglund on the 4th line.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I'd like to see Smith and Nylander up.
Girgensons to center.

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Sheary - Girgensons - Nylander
Smith - Mittlestadt - Okposo
Larsson - Berglund - Rodriguez

Sit Pominville and Sobotka, send Thompson down.
Totally agree. Put him back at center where he belongs.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
i don't mind Nate the great if he's on the 6th man he hits, stands up for teammates and is good offensively if everyone is healthy the d should look like this

Dahlin-Bogo
Pilut-Risto
Scandella-Mccabe

extra
Beaulieu Nelson

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
i don't mind Nate the great if he's on the 6th man he hits, stands up for teammates and is good offensively if everyone is healthy the d should look like this

Dahlin-Bogo
Pilut-Risto
Scandella-Mccabe

extra
Beaulieu Nelson

Move Beaulieu to 4th line wing and let him play a Brad May role. His toughness will be needed come playoff time when Jack and Dahlin will get cheap shotted

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Any deal with Skinner that is significantly more than what E. Kane got from San Jose, is going to be a big problem.

They need to sign him. He should be good for 30 a year for another 3-4 years.

But you can’t pay him super star money, he isn’t Eichel or Dahlin.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
So many people keep putting Berglund in as center when hes has publicly stated he prefers to play LW.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The people saying let Skinner walk over a couple of million a year need to tell us who we could REALISTICALLY get with that money who makes up for losing 50 goals. If you will argue he's a creation of Jack that's great because Jack is signed for the next 7 years.

Reactions: Reddawg

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
The people saying let Skinner walk over a couple of million a year need to tell us who we could REALISTICALLY get with that money who makes up for losing 50 goals. If you will argue he's a creation of Jack that's great because Jack is signed for the next 7 years.

No one. We’re not a skinner away from the cup. Move him at the deadline if we cant sign him to a reasonable contract and keep building through the draft. Overpaying ufas has gotten us no where.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We have a lot of players to extend in the coming years. I don’t think we’ll get 50 goals from Skinner in the future but 30-35. If he wants to play here I don’t think 7.5 is unreasonable. If we trade him for a 1st and still can bid for him kn summer I wouldn’t be upset.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Skinner has never sniffed 50 goals before. I know he's on pace to hit it this year, but he's a pure goal scorer, and as pure goal scorers tend to do- he went on an incredible goal scoring streak early in the year. You can probably cherry pick a 15 game sample size through out his career and find some really nice goal totals that would have him on pace for 45+ goals.

He's been miserable the past 5 games, and he's slowed down a lot in the goal scoring department. Im not rushing to sign him to a long-term 9 million dollar contract. Let's wait and see how the year pans out.

Dont get me wrong. I like the kid. I love his attitude, and want him to continue to succeed, but I dont think he's worth 9 million dollars a year. Hopefully he proves me wrong, and continues to light up the score sheet. Hopefully... he's just in a bit of a funk, and he'll go back to being a dog hound on the puck, but as of today his play is jekyll and hyde. The only thing that's been consistent in his game is his goal scoring, and even that's been tapering off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad