Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
pens need to add some size and grit. Sid won't last 40 games with Jake and Sheary as they are just to small to hang for regular season and playoffs. Go get a combo LW for Sid and put Jake on Malkins line. We will see if Reese can play up this year. Sprong needs to play in the AHL and gain needed exposure to bigger stronger players. But when he is ready then you trade someone.

Jake isn't playing on Malkin's line.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
There has to be a reason Hags is in Vegas. Can't just be that Sid had an extra ticket. Could it be a Hagelin and Pouliot for Schmidt deal in the works?

Sid needs a good looking guy around him in Vegas to to keep the ladies attention off him.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I'd rather see them swing a trade than go after big names in FA. They just won back-to-back Cups with Cullen as the only traditional UFA signing in the lineup. (And Fehr last season).

Predators' only UFA signings that played in the Final were Irwin, Weber and a cameo by Harry Z.

The value on the open market for non-role players just sucks. I'm not even crazy about re-upping Bonino given the offers he's going to be getting.
Agreed. There are no real UFA options that won't come with a big price tag and more importantly term. Gotta avoid contracts that can bite us.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It seems like theres many directions JR can go now but with JR+Karmanos+Sam Ventura, i'm positive they'll whittle their wants down significantly.
Guerin's probably acting like we are "OMGZ SO MANY OPTIONS!"

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
pens need to add some size and grit. Sid won't last 40 games with Jake and Sheary as they are just to small to hang for regular season and playoffs. Go get a combo LW for Sid and put Jake on Malkins line. We will see if Reese can play up this year. Sprong needs to play in the AHL and gain needed exposure to bigger stronger players. But when he is ready then you trade someone.

The midget line will work against some teams. Not teams like CBJ and the Caps though who we'd likely face in the playoffs. Although having Letang could have changed that because getting hemmed in our own zone caused problems for that line. Letang certainly would have helped.

Horny should have never left that line it still annoys me :laugh:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hopefully GMJR doesn't have a senior moment and resign Kunitz. But Sid needs more than the smurf guys now. Rust, Hornqvist, Kessel, eventually Sprong, Sheary and Kuhnackle at RW some one has to go. Plus you have Hornqvist contract done this year. Pens need replace Kunitz of 2010 when he could skate, shoot and hit.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hopefully GMJR doesn't have a senior moment and resign Kunitz. But Sid needs more than the smurf guys now. Rust, Hornqvist, Kessel, eventually Sprong, Sheary and Kuhnackle at RW some one has to go. Plus you have Hornqvist contract done this year. Pens need replace Kunitz of 2010 when he could skate, shoot and hit.

IF the RFA's cost 12 million AND your 12th and 13th forward, 7th defenseman, and backup goalie make relatively smaller dollars, then there's about 6.5M in cap space left for a 3C and another starting defenseman.

Only way they replace the Kunitz of 2010 is if a 4M contract is moved.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Schmidt or Franson are the guys I want on D. Colin Miller too but it seems like he's going to the Leafs.

I want nothing to do with him. I know he's touted as an "offensive" RD... but that's not entirely accurate. He has a decent first pass and a great shot, but his skating is very meh. The only way that Franson is a "replacement" for Daley is the fact he plays RD. In fact I'd rather have Ruhwedel over the 3m or so Franson will probably get.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Unless Olli can come back to be a decent D man with better skating, that contract will be an albatross to some degree. But hopefully he improves his skating and quickness. Still that is a lot of money for a D man who needs to find his game. Me I include him in any deal and make a run for Schmidt.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
IF the RFA's cost 12 million AND your 12th and 13th forward, 7th defenseman, and backup goalie make relatively smaller dollars, then there's about 6.5M in cap space left for a 3C and another starting defenseman.

Only way they replace the Kunitz of 2010 is if a 4M contract is moved.

Dunno. 2m for the dman, 2m for the 3C, 2.5m for Kunitz. Seems sensible to me.

I haven't gone through the list of Vegas' dmen, but if there's only still on a contract under 1m, that'd be nice. Shame Colin Miller is allegedly spoken for.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Unless Olli can come back to be a decent D man with better skating, that contract will be an albatross to some degree. But hopefully he improves his skating and quickness. Still that is a lot of money for a D man who needs to find his game. Me I include him in any deal and make a run for Schmidt.

Olli is not just a decent D-man right now, he is a good and often very good D-man.

With Letang back, everyone's responsibilities become less taxing also, and the rest of the groups respective relative weaknesses will stand out less. Ie. Maatta's dodgy skating will be that much less of an issue when for 25 minutes per game we have one of the best skaters in the league there.

I think it was jmelm who said that the price of genuinely upgrading on Maatta would be prohibitive, and more so because of Maatta's value at present not being at its highest. I fully agree with that.
Unless his health was to deteriorate again, it is more likely that he will be better next season and more used to dealing with his thyroid medication than he has been this season, and thus that his value will go up again. Meaning that he will either be more solidly part of the core or a better option in terms of arranging a trade. I see no reason to even consider dealing Maatta..... unless of course JR gets something better than one could expect in which case everything but trading Sid, Geno and Murray could be considered.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'd rather see them swing a trade than go after big names in FA. They just won back-to-back Cups with Cullen as the only traditional UFA signing in the lineup. (And Fehr last season).

Predators' only UFA signings that played in the Final were Irwin, Weber and a cameo by Harry Z.

The value on the open market for non-role players just sucks. I'm not even crazy about re-upping Bonino given the offers he's going to be getting.

I agree with this. All of it. While it's an extremely exciting time for the Pens coming off back-to-back, going for a name doesn't make sense. Make the smart simple move. You have a great core and great depth right now. Identify the best fitting 3C, defensive depth, and a back up goalie. Don't hunt down flashy names.

Last year was the most boring offseason for the Pens and it was perfect. Nobody was overpaid, Lovejoy left after a great postseason, and Sully luckily didn't over-flirt w/ what worked last year. Keep doing that same thing. If we need something during the season, make a hockey trade.

Which is why I've been saying for a while now Hornqvist is the logical one to move in a trade.

72 is the guy who gets the crappy goals in 1 goal games. I will be very upset when he's moved out of here just because he doesn't fit perfectly in our top 6. The fact he doesn't fit sometimes is exactly what we need. A puck off his body and in, a grindy goal, something dirty.

He's literally the only guy in our line up that does that. I don't think you can put Rust in that same discussion. Horny is on a different universe at doing that. So if he frustrates Sid/Geno, who cares? He does stuff we need.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Three things JR needs to do this off-season:

-Trade Crosby to Montreal so he can play for his boyhood team in return for Galchenyuk and a 2nd in 2020 to recoup what they lost for Fleury.

-Trade Malkin to Colorado for Duchene and negotiating rights to Francois Beauchemin.

-Trade Letang to Vegas for Nate Schmidt and the Isles 15th overall pick.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Hagelin brings them closer to the cap floor; but can also be flipped. Could add Pouliot, a pick, and or someone like Kuhnhackl or Wilson. Vegas is still in the business of acquiring as many assets as they can.

No chance. Vegas is already WAY above where they said they wanted to be in terms of total salary. Maybe Hags could be a good fit next year when they have some big ticket UFAs coming off the books, but right now they're much closer to the cap than we are.

One of the worst posts I've seen in a long time.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Honestly, a 2nd round pick in 2020 (!) for $5.75M in cap space, and to ensure Rust and Murray are not taken in the Expansion Draft is fine with me.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

You seriously wonder if people watched the Pens the last 2 years under Sully. Speed, skill, depth. 2 Cups. But yeah.. grit is what we need. :laugh:

The only thing I'll accept is we do need a Sestito-ish player to call up against Jets, Flyers, Caps, etc. NHL refuses to protect their stars. So ****ing dumb. NHL should just do their job and focus on safety and it wouldn't even be a question.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You seriously wonder if people watched the Pens the last 2 years under Sully. Speed, skill, depth. 2 Cups. But yeah.. grit is what we need. :laugh:

The only thing I'll accept is we do need a Sestito-ish player to call up against Jets, Flyers, Caps, etc. NHL refuses to protect their stars. So ****ing dumb. NHL should just do their job and focus on safety and it wouldn't even be a question.

There was a tweet that said Bettman said they'd crack down on the slashes going on. That's 1 down and 99 to go with regards to actually cutting down on infractions that result in injuries to their stars.

I guess baby steps?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

We already have Sestito, if need be just call him up.

That said, the idiots running this league have their heads in the sands and have changed almost nothing and as a result will likely pay through the nose. If so that will begin huge changes making that type of player irrelevant I would think.

This article is from a week ago:

Months after the NFL's $1 billion concussion settlement was finalized by the U.S. Supreme Court, the NHL is facing a concussion lawsuit of its own. Some have even characterized it as an "existential threat to the league."

The lawsuit, joined by more than 100 ex-players, accuses the NHL of neglecting their safety, while the NHL has fired back by calling the plaintiffs "puppets" looking for money. The NHL also disputes the existence of CTE, the controversial 2002 discovery by Dr. Bennet Omalu while studying the brains of former NFL players. That drama was recently depicted by Will Smith in the movie "Concussion."

The lawsuit could actually head to trial this fall in Minneapolis at the same time Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine hosts "Ice Hockey Summit III: Action on Concussion" in Rochester. Dr. Aynsley Smith and Dr. Michael Stuart recommended that hockey — at all levels — eliminate head shots and fighting following the 2013 summit.

Four years later, those action items remain a work-in-progress.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/lo...cle_2266d421-8888-5bd2-8c53-c601a4e62f40.html

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
No chance. Vegas is already WAY above where they said they wanted to be in terms of total salary. Maybe Hags could be a good fit next year when they have some big ticket UFAs coming off the books, but right now they're much closer to the cap than we are.

Also a very good point.
Picks and prospects are what they'll be looking for more so than guys with term left.

News out of CHI is Kruger is still going to LV and Bowman's trying to or is gonna sign Doan.

FanaticalFan

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
I read tomorrow was going to be a big trade day for VGN, I hope JR wakes up early and makes a call. IF I was JR I would offer Olli Maattta and the pens first this year for Erik Haula and Nate Schmidt. I feel Maatta has more value than this board acknowledges, but Schmidt is playing style a better fit for the pens. An Haula would be the perfect player to fill the 3c spot. He’s got speed and good at faceoffs. Feelsgood to dream, I suspect i will be disappointed in the morning.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Agreed. A Sestito type guy is a necessity to have around as a 13th/14th forward -- particularly if he (or someone like him) is one of those great team guys, since often those enforcer types are some of the best teammates.

But just so many wrong things about that post, besides what you outlined:

- Jake and Sheary are so effective with Sid (best line he's ever played on) and those two kids are only going to get so much better as they ender their 2nd and 3rd year of pro respectively. Sheary is plenty strong and crafty on pucks. Both of those guys, especially Jake, is going to benefit from a higher level of training with guys like Andy O'Brian.

- Anyone projecting ZAR on our roster next year is off their rocker. So out of touch with reality.

- Sprong is ready to play in the NHL now, period. I would be more than happy to put him on the 4th line and let him earn his ice time with good defensive play, and learn to play the defensive side of the puck at the NHL level in that role. He's physically mature and smart/skilled enough that he can learn that here, and doesn't have to do it at a lower level at all. That said, I'm keeping him in the AHL for different reasons: #1) To try to give guys like Archie and Sunny a chance since they have to be on this team and I believe they can be solid bottom 6 contributors going forward and need to get time to play and develop; and #2) If Sprong plays up for most of this year and puts good numbers on the board, he could more quickly get a bump in pay on his next contract rather than just letting him play most/all of the year in WBS and then re-signing him to a cheaper 2-3 year deal. He'll also help WBS be competitive which is important given the players they'll have graduating next year, which is a plus to all of his teammates even more than it is from Sprong's own development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad