World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eme

Oct 22, 2006
Helsinki
This concept could be done in the NHL playoffs as well! Just give a wild card slot to a team comprised of the star players whose teams were not good enough to make it to the playoffs.

Honestly, this format is garbage. Team Europe and Young Stars do not belong in national competition, at least not if its trying to be a legitimate one.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Yeah! The all-star team from playoff leftovers and their stars would be great! Bettman go for it!
It would make NHL the most meaningful league ever in history! Everyone would have a chance, no matter of results!

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
I really hope that not just the Slovaks, but also the Swiss, German, Austrian and Danish players (and the other players that probably will play on this team).

This is really stupid and I would be offended, especially if I was Slovakian or Swiss since they were the two best candidates to play in the World Cup, to not represent my own country.

Imagine if only Canada, Sweden, Finland, USA, Czech Republic and Russia were to play at the 2018 Olympics, then they send two IOA (Independent Olympians Athletes) teams, one from Europe and one U23 team from North America. Ridiculous!

As a European, I could not agree more. Hope IIHF strikes back and invite USA & Canada to team up with Mexico.Slovakia & Switzerland could easily be contenders for medals at least. If they played in Europe cup contenders. As a Norwegian I hope Zuccarello stays home.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
So wait... These players would rather be on their own countries team and battle for 6-7th place than be on a team together that could contend for 1/2/3?

I know if it was basketball and Canada had to play USA I'd rather join w/ another country and actually have a shot at winning.

You mean the country that Sports Illustrated figures will be a gold medal contender in 2020? Canada is up and coming in basketball and depending how the Americans send, Canada could beat them.

As far as Team Europe, I don't see this as a good compromise. If the NHL decided to lump the minor nations like say France, Poland etc. in a Team Europe I'd be ok with that. But excluding bottom end top tier teams is a slap in the face to those teams.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
So wait... These players would rather be on their own countries team and battle for 6-7th place than be on a team together that could contend for 1/2/3?

I know if it was basketball and Canada had to play USA I'd rather join w/ another country and actually have a shot at winning.

I wouldn't. I'm already opposed to foreign born and raised naturalized players. I couldn't care less if a Canada-Argentina-Brazil PanAmericanHolyTrinity whupped the USA 150-100 (not gonna happen anyway) because it's not Canada, it's Canada as a spare part/accessory tool... Wiggins would probably be the only Canadian on the roster anyway. That's likely how Vanek, Kopitar, Zuccarello or Girgensons would feel. Spare parts.

I'd be even more upset if I was an Argentinian on that group. They don't need the help of Brazil or Canada to be respectable. Slovakia and Switzerland definitely DO NOT need players from other countries to make theirs competitive. Ask anyone that's ever watched any international hockey. Canada vs Slovakia in 2010 and Canada vs Switzerland in 2006 were some of the most exciting hockey games I've ever watched.

Kopitar should be ashamed to even consider playing in this tournament. It's not Slovenia - there'll likely be ONE Slovenian player on the 23 man roster. His dad would probably kick his ass for even considering it and wasting his time.

Any of these players would be far better served representing their actual countries, heritages and cultures at the WHC than shooting wads for a frankenstein team at this unsanctioned mickey mouse event. Does this even count for IIHF rankings? Are any of the results recorded in the books?

Done deal or not, people are never going to hear the end of it and it isn't just from a vocal minority. It's the vast majority. Only a few people think this is a good idea, look throughout the comments around the web.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
A lot of the disadvantages of this team have been already mentioned, one thing that hasn't is that starting from u16 onwards the Swiss and Slovaks play each other a few times each year in every category up to seniors.

I'd go even as far as to dare to say that (depsithe big brother-little brother rivalry with Czech republic) Switzerland has been Slovakia's biggest hockey rival in recent years in many ways.

Being supposed to cheer for a team that includes players of these two teams in a competition that aspires to be serious international competition does feel just a bit weird.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Canada vs Slovakia in 2010 and Canada vs Switzerland in 2006 were some of the most exciting hockey games I've ever watched.

Canada vs. Slovakia at the World Championships in 2012 was hugely memorable, too. :handclap: That game already is the stuff of (contemporary) Slovak hockey legend. Slovakia defeated Canada, chock-full with NHL superstars on its roster (captain Getzlaf, Perry, Keith et al), in the quarterfinals, with a come-from-behind victory in the 3rd period. With a few minutes left in the game, Sekera fires on the power-play, and Handzuš deflects for the game-winning goal. :nod:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its absolutely mind blowing that they have decided to go forward with this. I hope everyone boycotts. But I guess the same guys that are keeping teams in Phoenix and Florida are behind this so it shouldnt be a surprise to anyone.

BOB3000

Apr 14, 2012
I just hope that Finland aint claiming the gold in this tournament. It will be so fudging anticlamatic.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Who else thinks this team will be largely comprised of third liners and minor league players who just want to get the extra pay cheque and playing time?

I honestly think it'll be a tryout of sorts for guys feeling they've been underused. Expect them to finish last.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I just hope that Finland aint claiming the gold in this tournament. It will be so fudging anticlamatic.
Tell me about it. Not being able to win a proper best-on-best tournament, and then winning this gong show would be so laden with cruel irony that I can't tell whether I'd laugh or cry.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Who else thinks this team will be largely comprised of third liners and minor league players who just want to get the extra pay cheque and playing time?
That's actually something that could end up happening if the NHL players decide to play in the Olympics (which is likely considering the amount of money the IIHF is willing to pour in to ensure this). The qualifying tournament for the Olympics is September 1-4 for all teams not automatically qualified. This means that players like Anze Kopitar, Mats Zuccarello, Thomas Vanek, Frans Nielsen, and Zemgus Girgensons among others will likely be attending to national duties. Participating in two tournaments right before the start of the regular season would be both an injury hazard and pose the issue of fatigue and would likely outweight a couple thousand dollars to represent "rest of Europe."

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Tell me about it. Not being able to win a proper best-on-best tournament, and then winning this gong show would be so laden with cruel irony that I can't tell whether I'd laugh or cry.

This. I hope the Leftover team wins it. Victory from this tournament wouldn't be positive feeling for us, as we have so many silvers from real tournaments.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
This. I hope the Leftover team wins it. Victory from this tournament wouldn't be positive feeling for us, as we have so many silvers from real tournaments.

I can fully understand the bitterness for slovakian and swiss fans, but how does that necessarily take anything away for us fans of actual top six hockey nations?

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Canada & US won't be playing at full strength, either. Who says some of their best players can't be younger than 24? (Look at Doughty in Vancouver.)

It's an irrelevant, all-star Mickey Mouse tournament. :shakehead

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Canada & US won't be playing at full strength, either. Who says some of their best players can't be younger than 24? (Look at Doughty in Vancouver.)

It's an irrelevant, all-star Mickey Mouse tournament. :shakehead

I think its mainly marginal players that are under 24. Equal older players takes their spots.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
"Mainly" means Canada and the US won't be playing at full strength, period. I'd hate to imagine Canada in Vancouver, or the Kings during their 2012 Cup run, "mainly" without Doughty, who would not be allowed to play for them under the Mickey Mouse rules. Why exclude guys like Ekblad or McDavid and Eichel even before the tournament begins? It's pretty likely they might make their "A" national teams if they were allowed to.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
"Mainly" means Canada and the US won't be playing at full strength, period. I'd hate to imagine Canada in Vancouver, or the Kings during their 2012 Cup run, "mainly" without Doughty, who would not be allowed to play for them under the Mickey Mouse rules. Why exclude guys like Ekblad or McDavid and Eichel even before the tournament begins? It's pretty likely they might make their "A" national teams if they were allowed to.
I dont understand why you're talking about Drew Doughty, he will be on team Canada. Its more relevant to talk about the 2016 players, and i dont see too many under-23 that are clear cut for team Canada and team USA. There are a few players that could make it, but they are easily replaced by comparable older ones. Its not an "irrelevant" tournament, i mean its not an ultimate one but the squads will be very strong indeed.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I dont see too many

"Too many". :p: That's exactly the point. Canada and the US won't be playing at full strength, so it's not a true best-on-best tournament, so it's a useless Mickey Mouse circus.

i mean its not an ultimate one

So why bother organizing a tourney that doesn't try to be "the ultimate one"? Even the World Championships have higher ambitions than that (such as during the full NHL lockout season, when all players from all countries were available for playing).

the squads will be very strong indeed.

Yes indeed, just like at the NHL all-star weekends. :D Amazing squads! Best hockey ever! (Not.)

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I can fully understand the bitterness for slovakian and swiss fans, but how does that necessarily take anything away for us fans of actual top six hockey nations?

Being an "actual top six nation" doesn't mean we're far above the rest, to the point that competition is futile. I wouldn't feel satisfied with a good result in a tournament without countries like Slovakia and Switzerland fully represented, considering that other events have proven that they're more than capable of competing with us exalted top sixers. Latvia, Germany, Denmark, Norway and France should also be represented in any event that purports to be a meaningful international tournament. This is at least my opinion of it. That said, it might still be a successful event if the hockey is good, but I won't take it very seriously until at least the two countries you mentioned are included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad