2016 Rio Olympics | CYCLING | August 6th thru August 21st

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
No issue with the cobble sections but such a difficult descent after 220 km was just begging for crashes. I would not be surprised if the UCI tells the IOC to get lost for the next Olympics.

What?

The racecourse was fantastic, one of the best I've seen in years, I wish every world championship in cycling was like this.

When you're in a descent you choose if you want to take risks or not, they took and they fell, it's cycling, it happens.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Very entertaining race and a super deserving winner in Van Avermaet.

It sucks for Nibali and Henao but these things can happen when you go full gas in a descent... they would have battled out gold had not they crashed.

Alaphillippe was very strong but made bad decisions in key moments and he got the 4th place.
Valverde didn't have the legs, and Purito got the best result he could.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I think the big problem on the descent was that concrete gutter/curb. There was absolutely no margin for error- you go off the road you crash.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Couldn't they in future make it a more tour like event?

Have 4/5 stages like the Tour de France and have 1/2/3 for standings and gold for sprinter and mountain winners?

Feel like that would be a more representative way of showing road racing rather than a one-off.

That race was good though, sucked to see so many fall off at the end but that's sport. Deserved winner too.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Have 4/5 stages like the Tour de France and have 1/2/3 for standings and gold for sprinter and mountain winners?

Feel like that would be a more representative way of showing road racing rather than a one-off.

That race was good though, sucked to see so many fall off at the end but that's sport. Deserved winner too.

I suppose it's feasible, but I have to say I like the single day races.

NMF78

Feb 25, 2010
Belgium

Road races are far more then stage races like the tour de france. Now its an intresting race where anything can happen, stage races are often very boring.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Road races are far more then stage races like the tour de france. Now its an intresting race where anything can happen, stage races are often very boring.

Exactly.
Anything can happen in a 1 day race, and they are easily more entertaining, plus you can see who tactically is a better cyclist than in a big stage race

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Exactly.
Anything can happen in a 1 day race, and they are easily more entertaining, plus you can see who tactically is a better cyclist than in a big stage race

The tactics are completely different. It's not better or worse because of it. You have more people who can win single day races, that's what makes it more entertaining. At least to me.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
The tactics are completely different. It's not better or worse because of it. You have more people who can win single day races, that's what makes it more entertaining. At least to me.

What I mean is that a lot of riders that do stage races become dumb in sense of tactics, because they only know to follow the orders from the car and their orders are to protect their position no matter what. A great example was the last stage in this tour de france where 3 guys could have upgraded their position in the GC taking risks in the last descent, including Adam Yates that could have gotten into the podium only taking 20 seconds from Quintana. In a rainy descent that's nothing, I can't believe these guys didn't even try.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
What I mean is that a lot of riders that do stage races become dumb in sense of tactics, because they only know to follow the orders from the car and their orders are to protect their position no matter what. A great example was the last stage in this tour de france where 3 guys could have upgraded their position in the GC taking risks in the last descent, including Adam Yates that could have gotten into the podium only taking 20 seconds from Quintana. In a rainy descent that's nothing, I can't believe these guys didn't even try.

I definitely agree with that. It often looks like nobody tries to win.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I literally gasped when I saw it. Heartbreaking for her. I hope it's not serious.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Man, that's heart breaking. Teamed up and took a medal from the U.S cyclist. I don't know much about this sport. Would it have been possible for her to slow up earlier and try and get in that group, or did she play it right by going solo (I know she only went solo because someone crashed)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad