2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We could have 14-16 picks in this draft. If they keep getting this many picks, one of those 2nd-7th rounders will turn into a serious gem sooner or later.

Bracco has the biggest potential to be that sort of steal in this one.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Staring early on this aren't we? :D

I think it's going to be very hard to budge Matthews from the #1 spot even though it's just under a year from the draft. He's just a magnificent prospect.

My number #2 guy and the biggest challenger(IMO) is Jesse Puljujärvi

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152117

Sokolov looks very good as well. Also due to Biltz's heads up, Jake Bean is another to keep and eye on.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm certain both Buffalo and Edmonton has surpassed us.

I think Arizona, Toronto and New Jersey and possibly Carolina will be the cellar guys this year

Arizona and Toronto should be the basement dwellers. I'd be highly surprised if either would be higher then bottom 3.

Carolina should be better but probably not that much.

I have zero confidence in the Edmonton goaltending. They'll be better though.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I don't see us getting Matthews or Chychrun

Will go 1 & 2 most likely and I don't think we'll be that lucky.

I'm hoping for Logan Brown and Olli Juolevi if we have 2 picks. Pittsburgh would probably have to finish 8th and get eliminated 1st round to have a shot at Juolevi.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If we continue to stock-pile multiple picks for every round - how do we support those picks with contract spots and playing time?

We are going to be graduating, trading, or waiving a fair number of projects each year to make way for the wave of incoming guys- yes?

Do you see Hunter trading multiples to get singles in a higher round going forward - like 2 4ths and 3rd for a high 2nd kinda thing?

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Chychrun or Matthews please. One has a chance to be a franchise dman, while the other being a franchise forward.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
This is Chychrun beside Letang, I believe as a 15 year old. He is a man among boys, and my favorite player in the draft. I will be watching him closely this season and expect big performance.

BYhdDjICEAAlF5o.jpg:large

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
BPA will do for me. Hard to say who that will be.

Praying we get a bit of long deserved luck though and come away with #1 pick. Be nice if we could come away with another 1st rounder somewhere too.

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
How is Chychrun offensively? The main thing that turned most people off from thinking Hanifin was a franchise D was the lack of offence. If he's a good two-way guy, it would be difficult to expose any other flaws that might lead to a draft slide.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Again, there's absolutely no way we pass on Mathews, if we need a defenseman or not, and you're #1.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
Whats with all the left handed players.. these kids should've learned to hold a right handed stick, they'd be much more valuable in the pros.

Must be really frustrating for GMs to find those RHD

bentharbour

Feb 27, 2008
With the new lottery format there is NO WAY I am getting my hopes up for Matthews/chychrun just yet. Even if we are last, it could all fall apart come lottery day.

But I swear if Edmonton misses the playoffs and gets a top two pick....I don't even know.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
How is Chychrun offensively? The main thing that turned most people off from thinking Hanifin was a franchise D was the lack of offence. If he's a good two-way guy, it would be difficult to expose any other flaws that might lead to a draft slide.

Choo Choo is a A offensively, franchise d-man he is.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I know the prizes are Matthews/Chychrun, but this top 10 is so deep, and I would not be disappointed if we end up getting Brown as a consolation prize. 6'6 Center who can skate and has elite skills? Sign me up! I mean, anything can happen and maybe he disappoints this season, but right now he is my main realistic hope. If he falls and/or we can move up with the Pens pick to take him, I'll take that too!

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Matthews would be a dream come true for the Maple Leafs.

What Puljujarvi has done against men as a 16 year old, and what he will do this year as a 17 year old, is Barkov-like. He's an incredible consolation prize, as well as Chychrun.

Guys like Tkaczuk, Jones, Benson and Brown round out what is an incredible top-7 imo. Alas, the #1C and D are going 1 and 2 (maybe 3) though.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The ideal outcome for Mark Hunter with this deal (outside of draft lottery win) is for him to be able to draft London Knights Matthew Tkachuk & Max Jones with Leafs and Pens 1st round picks from this Kessel trade.

Marner is going to need future linemates.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Auston Matthews, here we come

;)

Here is our current draft picks

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/MapleLeafs.htm

Round 1
Leafs
Pens* contingent on Pens making playoffs

Round 2
Leafs

Round 3
Leafs
Devils (via Pitt)

Round 4
Leafs

Round 5
Leafs
Ducks

Round 6
Leafs
Blues

Round 7
Leafs
Lightning* If Ashton plays 15 games for Lightning

Top prospects

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1161253

I was going to ask how the hell Logan Brown is not listed in the top 16 prospects .... but then I saw it was Button's list and had an 'ahhh' moment :laugh:

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
The ideal, dream scenario for me is simple:

Get an UNPROTECTED 1st round pick from some that fails to make the playoffs.

End up with 1st pick (ours), 2nd / 3rd pick (unprotected) and 15th pick (Pitts).

Logan Brown gets mono ... twice! ;)

Get Matthews, Cychrun, and Brown in the 1st round.

Rebuild ... complete! :handclap:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I honestly think with the new lottery rules that the first 3 will be "lottery" protected - I think we'd have to make it now - if you win the lottery you can keep it - if you don't make the playoffs - it's ours, too bad, so sad.

what I would be trying to do - is get a third (lower end), and give it to Detroit. I don't want to be forced in 2017 to give up a third rounder and we only have our own. according to the rules, it can be ANY third round pick. it doesn't HAVE to be ours.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Brown, Chychrun, Puljujarvi, Matthews.

Tkachuk is good, but honestly, bringing in every Knight we can get our hands on is getting old. It's awfully self-serving, and almost seems conflict of interest.

Brown ****s on Tkachuk at this point anyways.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Matthews would be a dream come true for the Maple Leafs.

What Puljujarvi has done against men as a 16 year old, and what he will do this year as a 17 year old, is Barkov-like. He's an incredible consolation prize, as well as Chychrun.

Guys like Tkaczuk, Jones, Benson and Brown round out what is an incredible top-7 imo. Alas, the #1C and D are going 1 and 2 (maybe 3) though.

Imagine we had the #1 pick and Arizona was picking at #2 or #3?
Might be able to get a king's ransom from them as Mathews is from Arizona, besides being a really good player. Could see them overpaying a ton to move up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad