2016 NHL Entry Draft - 12 picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Brills*

I'd love for them to get another top 10 pick and get sergachev

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Since after the top 3 there seems to be a considerable drop-off, it would make sense to trade down. In a perfect world I'd trade down to pick #7 and grab whichever of Tkachuk/Nylander/Chychrun/Juolevi is available. Hunter's proven what he can do with the later picks in the draft, so giving him a few more bullets in the chamber would be the ideal scenario in my mind if we don't get a top 3 pick.

IMO there's a clear 2...Matthews and Laine

Puljujarvi is on the same level as Dubois. Then you have Nylander, Tkachuk and Chychrun

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Taking players out of positional need and that have high floors but questionable ceilings terrifies me.

Nonis made multiple public statements pre draft about how the only way to get a good centre was to draft one. Freddy Gauthier was the highest ranked centre available when the Leafs picked. And although I don't think he's a terrible player, it was a waste of a 1st round pick.

I'm fine if a hunter wants the Leafs to get Chychrun at #4 because he thinks he has the best skill set and highest potential.

But to pick him just because the Leafs happen to need a defensemen will lead to disappointment. In general I'm wary of taking non offensive defensemen in the top 10 of a draft, and especially the top 5, so he's not my preferred pick.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Srap the draft and RFA status all together. He hard cap would prevent rich teams from hoarding talent.

But raising the draft age to 19 does solve some headaches regarding the AHL. So few players are even capable of playing in the NHL at 18 to begin with.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I think it's a good idea. But think of players like McDavid and Tavares as 19 year olds in Jr. The thing is I don't think it'll hurt the very few stars at all. But it will certainly help the majority that need more time to develop. It'd be easier to make good on your draft picks, that's for sure.

What will suck is it leaves the draft out for a whole year and that would likely come on a year we are garbage. Meaning we would lose a year of bottom dwelling development. It's a good idea, but some teams will be making huge sacrifices for this. I think TOR gives enough.

Also the OHL would benefit massively from this getting another year of stars at their best. There'd be no argument for the transfer agreement with them and the AHL.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Didn't they just change it from 19 to 18 like 12 years ago? People just need to think of changes for no other reason than to justify their jobs.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
As long as the Leafs go with whoever they deem the BPA at whatever position they are selecting, I would be ok with it.

Hopefully, the Leafs are in a position in which the BPA also addresses a key position.

finnbalor*

Like Chychrun at 4, we already have Rielly and Gardiner, Juolevi would be more of the same on our blueline (LHPMD). However...

The Nylanders would make for a potential fan favorite pair and Tkachuk could inspire the Leafs to aggressive go after Dvorak. Now that would leave the franchise thin on blueline prospects but consider what we're looking for in top tank picks....

A 1C, 1D another top six forward are the biggest needs IMO.

Nylander and Tkachuk fit the bill for that top six player and 2017 top ten picks project top to bottom as centers and blueliners with size. Likely to find someone as good if not better than Chychrun. So if we're at 4, fine with trading down a spot or two.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
the real question is who is 5 on your list,

nylander - has some elite skills with smooth skating
dubois - very good at everything C with very good size
tkachuk - very skilled power forward game that complements our current core

Krylian

Jul 25, 2007
Can they do it retroactively so that if the Leafs win the lottery this year we can still get McDavid?

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
They changed to an 18 year old draft in 1979, I believe, which resulted in a great year. They had shifted back to a year older in, I think, 1974. That was a poor year as a result. At some point they made September 15 the cutoff but I can't remember the year.

Just going by memory.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Yeah Crosby and McDavid and a few others were obviously too young and not ready for the NHL, better to keep them down in juniors one more year so they can top 200+ points.

Much better option

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If draft picks 4 to 10 are fairly close we need to get the player most needed for our team long term a centre with size or a strong d man to be our long term core players Dubois or chychrun whichever scouts think is the best player but if at all possible not a winger they are easier to get as free agents when we have d and c sorted

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
The 20 year old draft was successfully legally challenged by younger players donkeys years ago. At 18 years of age people have a legal right to work. That is why the current draft cut-off date is being 18 years of age by Sept 15 of the draft year (start of training camp).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Having the draft at a higher age would likely kill the CHL.

You'd have kids leaving at 17/18 to go oversees for a year to play PRO and get payed.

The CHL will still lose its star players.

Unless CHL teams start paying the players, it isn't going to help. People have a legal right to work and get paid.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
The 20 year old draft was successfully legally challenged by younger players donkeys years ago. At 18 years of age people have a legal right to work. That is why the current draft cut-off date is being 18 years of age by Sept 15 of the draft year (start of training camp).

Bingo. Even the NHL has to comply occasionally with law. Even if the laws of assault only apply sporadically in egregious examples.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
so... we all good taking matthews at the one spot?

compared to sundin..... better? same?

standings starting to look good☺

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Having the draft at a higher age would likely kill the CHL.

You'd have kids leaving at 17/18 to go oversees for a year to play PRO and get payed.

The CHL will still lose its star players.

Unless CHL teams start paying the players, it isn't going to help. People have a legal right to work and get paid.

CHL players don't get paid?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
it was a two part tweet and this is the rest, there may be a legal reason they may have trouble with it.

IIRC , here in Canada 18 is age of adult hood

was there not something illegal about denying work due to age , once they are a legal adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad