2016 MLB Talk Part II - Mets, Yankees, etc

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was it rain or lack of interest to cause so many empty seats at Citi field tonight?

Yikes! Was it really that empty? And they also retired Piazza's number for this game.

The Mets have really fallen apart in the last couple weeks. The wheels look like they've completely come off now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Both but you have to figure rain more, it was I'd say the seats were about 75-80% filled during the Piazza ceremony and lines outside Citi were pretty long to get in. Tickets on StubHub were going for $8 on Friday night (before fees) cause some people were scared of the forecast and it was pouring before the game and drizzling at the very least the whole game - though as if decreed from above I didn't feel a drop of rain during the Piazza ceremony. After that it started up again, I should have taken that as a sign.

I only stayed outside the first two innings, went to the Promenade club the next two innings (the upstairs club was getting packed by the end of the third inning, I'm sure the downstairs clubs just as much so), down to the Met Hall of Fame the last two and then left early cause the Mets stunk and the stupid NJTransit train schedule is so staggered. It's either stay for the whole game and get stuck on a 12:34 train getting home at 1:45 or get to the 11:11 train and get home 12:15. It was pretty easy to see which way that game was going by the middle innings so I peeled out.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Yikes! Was it really that empty? And they also retired Piazza's number for this game.

The Mets have really fallen apart in the last couple weeks. The wheels look like they've completely come off now.

When a team relies exclusively on the home run to score, that team is going to lose A LOT!

Travis d'Arnaud is garbage. If you can't hit at least be good defensively. He couldn't throw me out stealing second.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When a team relies exclusively on the home run to score, that team is going to lose A LOT!

Travis d'Arnaud is garbage. If you can't hit at least be good defensively. He couldn't throw me out stealing second.

The few games I'm able to watch are like watching the Devils outdoors and on grass. If anyone remembers that BRUTAL game against the Avalanche from 2.5 years ago, where we were up 1-0 for the ENTIRE game almost, then Roy saw Petey Jr and the 4th line were out there and threw out his top line and pulled his goalie with over 2 minutes left and down 1. Then they tied it and eventually won in OT, while we couldn't break through the 2 goal mark on whatever remained of Giguere's bone dust.

Watching them trying to score is really scary. There's also been times where I can't watch the games (I don't have the MLB package like I do the NHL one) and I'll look up the score on my phone and see the Mets are up 1-0 in the the bottom of the 6th or whatever. Then I'll check the score again and it will be a 3-1 final score with a Mets loss. It's gotten to a point where you expect them to lose when you see that score earlier in the game. I think one of the games this series with the Rockies was like that.:shakehead

Saw they won today though.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Yankees are finally blowing it up. They got quite a haul for those trades.

Being a Braves fan, I hope we deal everyone. Our team is awful and our prospects are finally coming around. Jim Johnson could get a nice piece back.

I loved the Kemp trade for us. Olivera was an awful person and Kemp can at least hit HRs.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
only one batter is hitting over .300 on the cubs as of now…..and its just a szczur over that margin line

at least theres some steam after the all star 'showcase' with some wins again

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I did finally get around to watching the game Doc called in DVR. Was pretty cool to hear. Gary Thorne now calls baseball for the Orioles, as their play by play guy. But since Doc is so unique and different from Gary Thorne, he probably wouldn't cross over so well to baseball to the fans that are strictly into baseball and not hockey. But I personally enjoyed it myself.

I don't see how they won't, though I'm not sure of the buyout rules in baseball. I know he had a pretty good season last year, coming off his suspension. But he's as good as finished now.

I predicted the Mets would miss the playoffs before the year started, but I didn't expect them to miss only after hanging around until the deadline. It's losses like the last two to the Rockies that really show you they aren't a playoff team. That's almost like when the Devils can't beat a team like the Leafs or Blue Jackets while they're still alive in the playoff race. The Mets haven't beaten the Rockies all year, lost all 4 (or maybe it was just a 3 game series) to them in the first series this year, lost both games of this 4 game series so far. 0-6 or 0-7 against the Rockies is awful. Last year, the Mets actually swept the Rockies in all 7 or 8 games. And trust me, I know how bad the Rockies are. My buddy out in Colorado is a big fan and always complaining how poorly run they are. They're like one the cheapest teams in baseball. I'll be visiting him in two weeks and catching some Rockies games for $3 bucks a seat! Too bad they aren't playing the Mets, like they were last year when I went and one or two other years that I've been there.

Well he is officially done thank goodness.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I know A-Rod is garbage this year, but with the Yankees going nowhere, why cut him now just shy of 700 homers. Why not just say we're going to let you get those 700 and then cut you?

Unless the Yankees just want to scrub the 12 years of history there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Seems like they've been wanting to get rid of him for years.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
In all reality who cares if he hits 699 or 700. It's just a number, that will forever be tainted.

I say this as a Yankees fan and as a A Rod fan. I couldn't care less that he juiced. They should let them all... It made for a very interesting time in baseball history.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I know A-Rod is garbage this year, but with the Yankees going nowhere, why cut him now just shy of 700 homers. Why not just say we're going to let you get those 700 and then cut you?

Unless the Yankees just want to scrub the 12 years of history there.

700's just a nice round number (and I said the same thing when it had to do with Marty), it has nothing to do with history especially with his history being tainted.

A-Rod's been really bad for a full calendar year, there's no guarantee he'd get to 700 even if he got every AB available the rest of the season. And the Yankees are still 'trying to win' along with trying to get their younger players into the lineup.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
In all reality who cares if he hits 699 or 700. It's just a number, that will forever be tainted.

I say this as a Yankees fan and as a A Rod fan. I couldn't care less that he juiced. They should let them all... It made for a very interesting time in baseball history.

Rewarding cheating is a bad idea no matter how its spinned.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A-Rod already seems like he's like 45 or something.

He just turned 41 though like less than two weeks ago.

Seems like he's been around forever. Is A-Rod the longest tenured MLB player currently? I know he's not the oldest, Bartolo Colon is older than him (off the top of my head) but hasn't been in the league quite as long.

He apparently made his MLB debut on July 8th, 1994. That was like a month before the strike that ended the season.

That was a year before all of Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte and Posada even made their debuts in the league, and none of them are around anymore.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Guess who actually paid to see the Mets get brutally assaulted by the Diamondbacks today? My god, season is definitely over. You can't get swept by the Diamondbacks and make the playoffs. This is the baseball equivalent of the Devils getting swept by the Maple Leafs.

Not a great game for my one and only this year at Citi Field.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol even TG is commenting on the Mets mess on his Twitter, must be a closet fan.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Guess who actually paid to see the Mets get brutally assaulted by the Diamondbacks today? My god, season is definitely over. You can't get swept by the Diamondbacks and make the playoffs. This is the baseball equivalent of the Devils getting swept by the Maple Leafs.

Not a great game for my one and only this year at Citi Field.

The game sounds like a Devils 5-0 home loss to Cbj.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The game sounds like a Devils 5-0 home loss to Cbj.

Oh my, much better comparison.

The Blue Jackets are so irrelevant right now, I didn't even think to use that as an example. I forgot they even existed.

They seemed to have went from Metro Division/Eastern Conference champs to forgotten about chumps in just a year.

They're so irrelevant right now, the main board doesn't even acknowledge Jarmo as one of the worst GM's in the league. They're not saying he's good either. They just kind of forgot he and the team existed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There are so many Mets hurt. When does the training and medical staff get fired?

But they have the best trainers and medical staff in the league! Or so I keep hearing :sarcasm:

lol our medical team is even more overrated than the Blue Jackets :P

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The A-Rod finale cash grab game getting rained out would be so fitting.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They let him play the field for one lousy batter - a five pitch strikeout from Betances.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In other baseball news, the Mets are now under .500 on the season.

These collapses feel like they happen in the second half of every season lately, other than last year.

They just always seem to happen earlier than it did this year, like some point in June.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Baseball is such a weird sport. I'm not totally shocked by the Mets mediocrity this season. They have battled injury, their lineup sucks and their pitching is tired. I hope they shut down Matz and Syndergaard if/when they completely fall out of it. Oh and please get a catcher next year. d'Arnaud is freakin terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad