Line Combos: 2016-17 Roster: What are areas of NEED?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You obviously don't understand the difference between building around a one-dimensional scorer versus having him as a complimentary player.

Team Canada doesn't have a salary cap. Nor are they built around Stamkos.

You obviously don't know what it takes to crack the hardest top 6 on the planet.

but don't let that stop you.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Solid post.

Bolded are players I expect to be in the lineup in October. Underlined are players that should be on the roster next season, but wouldn't be surprised if traded/demoted.

I fully expect Hyman on this team next year. He has arguably been the most consistent of the young guys and is the exact type of guy they need to balance out this forward line up.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I fully expect Hyman on this team next year. He has arguably been the most consistent of the young guys and is the exact type of guy they need to balance out this forward line up.

Hyman and Soshnikov (if they continue this play) for the remaining 18 games will be on this team next year. These are the first 2 players Babcock speaks of. And highly of.
Nylander will also be here (IMO) moving down to 3rd line C replacing Holland who I don't know if he'll be back.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I have no idea where we will draft. Somewhere between 1-5. Where we draft (and who) will have a major impact on the roster moving forward.

As for Stamkos, again, no idea of his intentions or the Leafs.

All I have now is the departing UFAs and depth chart for next year.
As it stands:

UFAs:
Parenteau,Grabner,Boyes,Smith,Clune,Arcobello,Stalock

LTIR:
Horton,Robidas?

Buyouts:
Cowen

JVR-Bozak-Marner(will get a good look in training camp)
Komarov-Kadri-Soshnikov
Michalek-Nylander-Hyman
Greening-Laich-Lupul/Holland

The future of Lupul is unknown. Trade,demotion,LTIR,13th forward,mysterious circumstances?
Holland? His time may be almost up.
Kapanen,Brown,Lindberg,Leivo,Leipsic and all other picks will be training camp evaluated.

Hunwick-Rielly
Gardiner-Corrado
Marincin-Carrick

Harrington,Percy,Valiev,Loov,Dermott,Nielsen and all other picks will be training camp evaluated.

Bernier
Sparks

Bibeau will be evaluated.

This is where we stand as of now.
This is the known. Hard to work with unknown.

Good post. I'd try to dump Lupul, Greening and Marincin if we can before the start of next season. Laich should stay because of his leadership qualities. Hunwick and Michalek could make good trade bait come the trade deadline. Bozak and/or Kadri should stay until a prospect takes the reigns as a 1C.

The issue with this now is what do we do if we need to supplement a top 4 pick in this years draft, likely Zaitsev and potentially Vesey as well?

We should also target a young goalie that has established himself in the league but has yet to emerge as elite, someone like Andersen perhaps?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Good post. I'd try to dump Lupul, Greening and Marincin if we can before the start of next season. Laich should stay because of his leadership qualities. Hunwick and Michalek could make good trade bait come the trade deadline. Bozak and/or Kadri should stay until a prospect takes the reigns as a 1C.

The issue with this now is what do we do if we need to supplement a top 4 pick in this years draft, likely Zaitsev and potentially Vesey as well?

We should also target a young goalie that has established himself in the league but has yet to emerge as elite, someone like Andersen perhaps?

What happens between now and the draft/July 1st would determine my goalie pursuit.
I would currently use 1 of our 2nd round picks to grab a highly touted goalie.
Now the rest depends on what happens. Win the lottery and draft Matthews (or sign Stamkos), then pursue a goalie. Draft Tkachuk/Nylander/Chychrun, then stay the course with Bernier/Sparks. I would still want to finish low in the 2nd scenario and add a top flight center in next years draft (if possible).
Draft Matthews and we don't need to finish bottom 5 anymore. I believe we can get a top flight D between 7-14 easier than a C.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
What happens between now and the draft/July 1st would determine my goalie pursuit.
I would currently use 1 of our 2nd round picks to grab a highly touted goalie.
Now the rest depends on what happens. Win the lottery and draft Matthews (or sign Stamkos), then pursue a goalie. Draft Tkachuk/Nylander/Chychrun, then stay the course with Bernier/Sparks. I would still want to finish low in the 2nd scenario and add a top flight center in next years draft (if possible).
Draft Matthews and we don't need to finish bottom 5 anymore. I believe we can get a top flight D between 7-14 easier than a C.

Ideally you get Dubois at #4 as the worst case scenario. Adds a big body top flight C and allows us to draft a D high in the 2017 draft.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
If we do not get that top 3 pick, I see us moving back to grab either Juolevi or Sergachev and collecting more draft picks in the process. We need d-men more than potential 2nd line wingers (Tkachuk, Nylander etc.)

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
If we do not get that top 3 pick, I see us moving back to grab either Juolevi or Sergachev and collecting more draft picks in the process. We need d-men more than potential 2nd line wingers (Tkachuk, Nylander etc.)

We need a home run more than we need more draft picks and a lesser prospect. Moving down would be a bad idea. I get the whole idea that we need D but I rather trade that pick for a D that perhaps is more established than trade back for Julovei or Segachev. Especially if we can trade up using Pittsburghs pick to grab either of them.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ideally you get Dubois at #4 as the worst case scenario. Adds a big body top flight C and allows us to draft a D high in the 2017 draft.

Dubois is a solid choice as well but wow we just need to win the lottery once. This year.
Getting Matthews would set the landscape for this franchise for years to come.
We aren't the Oilers. You look at the players like Leo,Hyman,Soshnikov etc. and the compete is there. Something the big picks (minus McDavid) of the Oilers lack at times.
Matthews/Kadri/Nylander/Laich(Gauthier) would be incredible.
I would even move JVR in this case for a top flight D partner for Rielly. You can draft a winger, Ehlers,Fiala,Crouse,etc. most places in the 1st round but not a Matthews.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I could see us picking 4 getting a center and if we get Pitts pick moving up to 10 to 12 to get the best possible d we have plenty of picks

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dubois is a solid choice as well but wow we just need to win the lottery once. This year.
Getting Matthews would set the landscape for this franchise for years to come.
We aren't the Oilers. You look at the players like Leo,Hyman,Soshnikov etc. and the compete is there. Something the big picks (minus McDavid) of the Oilers lack at times.
Matthews/Kadri/Nylander/Laich(Gauthier) would be incredible.
I would even move JVR in this case for a top flight D partner for Rielly. You can draft a winger, Ehlers,Fiala,Crouse,etc. most places in the 1st round but not a Matthews.

I'm with you on trading JVR for a top 4D, ideally it would come with a good pick and prospect as well.

Winning the lottery would be a beautiful thing but so would getting Stamkos.

Maybe out on a limb here but Nylander looks more and more primed to be a legit Elite talent with each game. The kids like a master of time and space on the ice and that's usually the earmark of a very special player.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I'll take a crack.

JVR - Kadri - Laine
Komarov - Nylander - Soshnikov
Vesey - Bozak/Holland - Marner
Leivo - Laich - Hyman
Michalek

Hunwick - Rielly
Gardiner - Carrick
Harrington - Zaitsev
Percy - Corrado​

- I have a feeling we end up with Laine (I'd be over the moon)
- I think we trade one of Holland or Bozak before the season begins
- There will obviously be some veteran UFA's sprinkled in there, but I expect some rookies/prospects will be traded from the roster above in order to clear out some of the glut (especially on D).
- Michalek injured too often to be a fixture in the line-up.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm with you on trading JVR for a top 4D, ideally it would come with a good pick and prospect as well.

Winning the lottery would be a beautiful thing but so would getting Stamkos.

Maybe out on a limb here but Nylander looks more and more primed to be a legit Elite talent with each game. The kids like a master of time and space on the ice and that's usually the earmark of a very special player.

Nylander has all the skills in the world and IMO his time in the AHL is done. Minus this years Marlies playoffs.
That being said, I protect this kid till the end, his body still needs to mature and I keep him 3rd line C for the next couple of seasons with a solid vet winger on his line.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I'll take a crack.

JVR - Kadri - Laine
Komarov - Nylander - Soshnikov
Vesey - Bozak/Holland - Marner
Leivo - Laich - Hyman
Michalek

Hunwick - Rielly
Gardiner - Carrick
Harrington - Zaitsev
Percy - Corrado​

- I have a feeling we end up with Laine (I'd be over the moon)
- I think we trade one of Holland or Bozak before the season begins
- There will obviously be some veteran UFA's sprinkled in there, but I expect some rookies/prospects will be traded from the roster above in order to clear out some of the glut (especially on D).
- Michalek injured too often to be a fixture in the line-up.

Zitsev is probably playing higher in the lineup. He's older than Carrick and his game is more refined, and also more compatible with Gardiner. He would definitely be in the top 4 if those are the 8 D the Leafs are going with next season.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Zitsev is probably playing higher in the lineup. He's older than Carrick and his game is more refined, and also more compatible with Gardiner. He would definitely be in the top 4 if those are the 8 D the Leafs are going with next season.

I know Zaitsev has an impressive track record, and he's looked very good in the few games I've watched him, but I'm always hesitant to put players transitioning into a new league in a top role.

Also, I like the prospect of a Gardiner - Carrick pairing. I think Connor could learn a lot from Jake, and the two would wreak havoc in the O-zone.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think Gardiner and carrick are good d but I would like someone more robust with each of them
Gardiner zaitsev if he works out
Loov carrick
I think those pairs would compliment each other

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Which 2 players you are talking about?

Basically that both Lupul and Robidas will be on LTIR and have played their last game in the Blue and White. Now whether they can pull that off or not is a whole other question.

Can anybody tell me what the rules are regarding being "over the cap in the off season. I get that if you have a player on LTIR you gain their contract amount above the cap.

Maple Leaf Forever

Sep 9, 2013
I have to know how bad must Cowan be ...no chance in AHL nothing ....what's the story on this guy ...I know the buyout situation but how bad can he be ...please inform me.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I have to know how bad must Cowan be ...no chance in AHL nothing ....what's the story on this guy ...I know the buyout situation but how bad can he be ...please inform me.

He'd probably be a good reclamation project, but if he were to play and get injured, the Leafs wouldn't be able to buy him out.... so they're taking extra precaution. I can't imaging the NHLPA would be happy with this treatment.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Assuming best possible situation:

Draft Matthews #1
Trade Bernier and Bozak
Stamkos 7x10.5
Zaitsev 2x3.5
Reimer 3x4
Buyout Cowen

JVR - Stamkos - Nylander
Komarov - Kadri - Shoshnikov
Michalek - Matthews - Marner (or UFA)
Laich - Holland - Hyman
Greening/Leivo/Lupul (LTIR hopefully)

Zaitsev - Rielly
Gardiner - Carrick
Hunwick - Percy
Corrado/Harrington/Loov

Reimer
Sparks (or UFA)

The forwards will be an exciting group of talent whether or not we actually get Stamkos/Matthews. Clearly our defense will be our biggest weakness in terms of talent after this offseason. I don't think it can be addressed through free agency in the short term. The young guys will have to step up but will be supported by Babcock's system.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He'd probably be a good reclamation project, but if he were to play and get injured, the Leafs wouldn't be able to buy him out.... so they're taking extra precaution. I can't imaging the NHLPA would be happy with this treatment.

Montreal did it with Gomez and NYR did it with Redden. Sent them home to await buyout.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Montreal did it with Gomez and NYR did it with Redden. Sent them home to await buyout.

they did, and then the NHL let them take their compliance buyout early because it was doing the players no good to sit out that entire lockout half season

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Draft Matthews 1st overall (assuming that's our pick)
Trade Kadri+PIT 1st for 6-7th overall (Chychrun)

Sign Stamkos

-------------

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Stamkos - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Bozak - Brown
Hyman - Gauthier - Soshnikov
-Leipsic/Johnson/Timashov/Bracco/Leivo

Rielly - Chychrun
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Nielsen
-Loov/Valiev/Harrington/Percy

Bernier
Sparks
-Bibeau

Yes that's a lot of young kids in the lineup, especially the d-core. But it's the future. Maybe replace one or two with veterans but nothing too major.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad