Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v8) Next: vs Hou | Sun, Jun 7th | 1pm ET/10am PT | McHugh vs Dickey

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I like the speed that Carrera brings to the line up

Hindsight is 20/20, but when you see him and Colabello being fairly productive, it makes you wonder what the hurry was to trade Happ for Saunders.

Great. Awful strike out and a pop out on one pitch.

Way to hit with runners at 2nd and 3rd...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Same reason I hate the idea of moving Pentecost from Catcher to another position. His value is that of an above average hitting catcher. Move him to another position and his value takes a nose dive.

Yep. I don't see the need either. Martin is 32 right now, meaning he will be 37 by the time his contract ends in 5 years.

Meanwhile Pentecost is 22, has yet to start playing this year and will likely either begin in Vancouver or Lansing (likely finishing in Lansing either way)

Upshot is that you can bring Pentecost steadily and he'll be ready as Martin is winding down.

2015: Martin starts in Tor, Pentecost returns from injury and finishes in Lansing or Dunedin

2016: Martin starts in Tor, Pentecost plays in Dunedin/New Hampshire/maybe a bit with Buffalo

2017: Martin starts in Tor, Pentecost plays in Buffalo and maybe gets a September taste of Toronto as a backup

2018: Martin mostly starts in Tor, Pentecost plays maybe a little in Buffalo, but spends most of the year as Martin's backup

2019: Martin platoons with Pentecost.

2020: Martin's contract is up, leaving him to either sign and be a backup (where I'd be ok with him DHing on occasion because of the value as a backup and mentor), Pentecost can take over as the starter.

By 2019 Martin is 37 and Pentecost is up in the bigs by the time he's 25 and getting a fair # of starts at 26/27.

It's maybe a little older that you might expect for a prospect drafted as early as Pentecost, but making it up to the major leagues in your mid 20s as a catcher when you're not a ridiculous prodigious talent is pretty solid.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'm not one to overreact. I don't mind Goins, but we're not getting the production from the CF spot. I like Pillar's defense but his offense isn't cutting it.

I think the Jays should make a serious play for Carlos Gomez, and if that doesn't materialize, then Ben Revere.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
When Pillar came up the back of my mind was screaming: squeeze bunt, squeeze bunt. You have a scuffling hitter, make something happen...

Well hit had a good walk then the home run on another great AB ... But botched that opportunity entirely

Ground ball pitcher, all he had to do was hit it to the right side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad