WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Barzal easily for me... With Provorov VERY close to him but ill put him 4th

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I didn't think i'd have to elaborate on that. Provorov is better defensively and scored more goals and assists this season than both of the players you put above him. I just wondered as to how and why. I mean, we're all due our opinions but i'm curious.
Part of that could be that Werenski was playing injured all season - he genuinely couldn't take a slapshot.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Part of that could be that Werenski was playing injured all season - he genuinely couldn't take a slapshot.
Fun Facts:
Werenski took more slap shots in the 2018 season than the 2017 season.
Werenski scored more goals on slap shots in the 2018 season than the 2017 season.
Werenski scored more goals in general in the 2018 season than the 2017 season.
Werenski had a higher shooting percentage in the 2018 season than the 2017 season.

The idea that Werenski had a down year because he couldn't shoot as a result of his injury just doesn't jive with the numbers. I'm not saying he wasn't playing hurt because he definitely was. I just think the effect of the injury on his numbers is overblown.

Either way, I think he bounce back this year and hits 50+.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I have no idea how many points Marner will have, but I would be an insecure knob to refuse to entertain that it could be a low number, because life is dynamic and things happen outside our control.

Lol so that’s your argument to back up your baseless claim? Love when people say dumb things and try to stay way up their high horse while doing so... takes a special kind of person (funny that you mention insecure as your Barzal prediction is strictly out of your insecurity that he’s better than marner)

One thing left to do folks: *bookmarks @Cottons post*

See you in a few months when you’re getting put on blast

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Gotta go with Provorov, kid is a legit stud. If he didn't play in Philly (who's players ALWAYS get overlooked) he would be regarded as a top 15 Dman easily. But you really can't go wrong with any of Provorov, Barzal, or Marner.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Gotta go with Provorov, kid is a legit stud. If he didn't play in Philly (who's players ALWAYS get overlooked) he would be regarded as a top 15 Dman easily. But you really can't go wrong with any of Provorov, Barzal, or Marner.

As a flyers fan it’s interesting seeing another fan point it out. Kinda hard not to feel that way but I’ve chalked it up to a lack of success/early exits.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
As a flyers fan it’s interesting seeing another fan point it out. Kinda hard not to feel that way but I’ve chalked it up to a lack of success/early exits.
One of my good friends is a Flyers fan so I've started to follow them a bit myself, and holy shit is that team ever underrated. G finished the year with 100+ points and got no recognition what so ever. Ghost is already one of the best young OFD and Provorov is just incredible. Their forward depth is one of the best in the league. I could go on and on, the only thing holding that team back is the goaltending. The future is extremely bright for Philly.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Im not entirely sure what you mean by track record, but I think you’re implying that their development didn’t follow a linear and predictable path. I don’t think that means very much at all. Players develop differently. All that matters in the end is the outcome. Doesn’t much matter how they got there.

He's basically saying a what if scenarios trumps a what has happened scenario. Because Rantanen has already surpassed Marner's high totals by 84-69 by a wide margin. For most people, projection does not trump actual results. Right now I would take Rantanen over Marner if both were up for #3. Consistency and actual results matter. Until proven otherwise.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think I'm one of the rare few non-Leaf fans who thinks Marner's got the potential to be neck and neck with Barzal when all is said and done. But I think Barzal still has the edge due to the position he plays. When everything else is equal, I'll opt for the center over the winger.

Comparing either to the D is more difficult largely because it comes down to what you believe is more important position to fill: high end forward or high end defense. Having seen a 3-time Cup champion built around elite forwards, I probably have a bias toward the former

Reactions: MoreMogilny

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I'd be surprised if Barzal ends up with only 55 points for no other reason than he's going to be the Islanders' 1C, getting all the cushy minutes that 1Cs get.

It's incredibly rare for a team's 1C to produce that little. Usually the teams who accomplish the feat are ones who don't really have a legitimate 1C and are playing lesser talented 2Cs in that spot out of necessity.

Just want to say that not everyone loves 1C minutes, and playing them is most certainly not cushy. You usually face the best checkers forwards and defenders. Your minutes go up but unless you have a quality linemate it doesent mean a whole lot it as much as someone thinks describing it as cushy. If isles fans got instance think Barzal is going to get more then 85-90 this year because of these “cushy” minutes I highly doubt that would be the reason if he did.

Barzal now has expectations to live up too, and harder players to play against. Those are facts and not everyone passes with flying colours.

1. McDavid
2. Barzal
3. Marner
4. Eichel
5. Provorov
6. Werenski
7. Rantanen
8. Boeser

Ironic username.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
@McNuge its definitely not the broad street bullies of yesteryear. We have some nice pieces but like you said, goaltending. It’s always goaltending lol (besides a couple good years out of mason). I think with a little success ppl will realize we’re a likable team to the impartial viewer. And i can’t complain, every team has a hidden gem or two that doesn’t get the love they deserve.

Reactions: McNuge

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just want to say that not everyone loves 1C minutes, and playing them is most certainly not cushy. You usually face the best checkers forwards and defenders. Your minutes go up but unless you have a quality linemate it doesent mean a whole lot it as much as someone thinks describing it as cushy. If isles fans got instance think Barzal is going to get more then 85-90 this year because of these “cushy” minutes I highly doubt that would be the reason if he did.

Barzal now has expectations to live up too, and harder players to play against. Those are facts and not everyone passes with flying colours.

I was talking about the odds of him scoring 55 points or less while getting 1C are very low. I'm not sure where the 85-90 is even part of what I was referring to?

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
One the best drafts ever. Crazy to think that Boeser moves up from 23 to top 5/10 and Aho moves up from 35 to the top 5/10 aswell. Just unbelievable depth and quality throughout.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
I would even take Barzal at 2. The QOC reasoning against Barzal is arguable because Barzal faced more D1 oppostion then Tavares in the last half of the regular season and advanced stats say he did even better against them.. He did receive more o zone starts, but with his speed, getting the puck and scoring in transition shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
1. Barzal (1st line center capable of 85+ points)
2. Boeser (Potential 40 goal scorer, decent both ends of the ice.)
3. Provorov (50 point D, can play in both ends fairly well.)
4. Marner (He can score, 1st line winger.)
5. Werenski (Similar stats to Provorov, #1/2 D.)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Provorov for now.

If Barzal at least approaches his 17-18 production in his opportunity as the alpha on the 1st line and 1st PP unit, I'll give him the nod.

This is where I am.

Barzal was sheltered and playing in an all out offense system with no D. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already hit a career high but we will see. He’s got the skills. For now and to me for the future it has to be Provorov.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kind of amazing to see all the Leafs fans taking Marner still over guys like Barzal, Provorov, and Rantanen. Two of which have already had PPG+ Seasons while the other is already a legit Top pairing Defender. Marner hasn't even hit 70 points yet. Good player but not in this conversation right now.

McDavid
Eichel
Provorov
Barzal
Rantanen

That's got to be the Top 5 right now, with Boeser, Marner, and Werenski taking spots 6-8.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Kind of amazing to see all the Leafs fans taking Marner still over guys like Barzal, Provorov, and Rantanen. Two of which have already had PPG+ Seasons while the other is already a legit Top pairing Defender. Marner hasn't even hit 70 points yet. Good player but not in this conversation right now.

McDavid
Eichel
Provorov
Barzal
Rantanen

That's got to be the Top 5 right now, with Boeser, Marner, and Werenski taking spots 6-8.

I think people still put Marner above Rantanen because they look at context, he plays with worse line mates(bozak was his center for a year in a half) and he gets way less pp time than Rantanen. And Marner is the best player on the pp in the entire nhl.

I’d be curious to see the numbers Marner puts up with Mackinnion.

Marner took off when he put on a line with a higher end center, kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad