2015 NHL Draft - Russian Draft Class

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Just saw the news that Andrei Mironov is going to serve all 2 years of his KHL contract. Actually it still makes a lot of sense, I mean, if everything goes well for Mironov, then after two years Avs will actually get a Russia NT level defender for ELC money. By the way, I have read that someone remembered that Mironov played on the same line with Zadorov at 2014 U20 WJC.

Thanks! Zubov was a really great defenseman, I would love if Provorov had that kind of impact. And Vorobyov is very intriguing to me, glad to hear he makes players better by doing the hard work. Sounds like a Russian Couturier from what I've read

Couturier is much more gifted, so I would be more modest in terms of comparisions: I'd say something like Anisimov with less offense, but, hopefully, better at face-offs.

I'm not technically surprised about Lazarev not being drafted but at the same time I kinda am, although I guess disappointed would be a better word for it. When I participated in a mock draft a few weeks prior to the real draft I had him on my list from the 3rd round and onwards but felt like I never really could justify picking him because I had other guys on my list that was still available that I felt was more interesting. I think this could have been the reason why he went undrafted as well. Probably many teams who had him on their list but just wasn't their first choice.

Another factor might be that he doesn't really have any skill in particular that jumps out at you. Anyway, after doing this mock draft I went back and looked at some footage of Cape Breton again and really started to change my mind. Lazarev IS a pretty fine player and I thought that many times it was because of him that Svechnikov could get points and not vice versa. I think that might have been a common misconception among scouts.

Yes, Lazarev is a small player but, in my opinion, he makes up for his lack of size in almost every other area. He is a really smart player in my book, very aware of where to be and where his teammates are at all times, meaning great vision and hockey IQ. He's a good enough skater and can both set up and finish plays. I think a lot of times scouts see the intangibles or some particular trait of a player and stare themselves blind on it when sometimes you just have to look at the numbers. Lazarev actually scored 80 points, with 36 of them being goals. That's not bad production at all. Timashov for instance, who is also a small '96 born (although first time draft-eligible) had 10 more points but only 19 of those 90 points were goals. Basically what I'm trying to say is I think people will regret passing on Lazarev. I'm pretty confident he can carve out an NHL career.

That's what I've been writing about the teams' pragmatic strategy that's been dominant this year and which might lead to dissapointment by many fans. I mean, it just at the first thought seems that every team got something like 7 picks and why don't they spend one on a risky guy. But when you're drafting according to your needs, then it becomes something like 'hey, I got 7 picks, but I need to draft 2 offensive guys, a strong bottom-six center, a goalie, and as much as possible defenders... oh yes, and maybe make some trades'. And with this kind of draft plan you got only two places for offensive guys, so you'll have to decide, if you really want to spend one of your two possible selections of offensive players for a small guy like Lazarev. It's not surprising that teams prefer safer bets, but those safe offensive guys usually come in upper rounds. So it results in the situation, when offensive guys are selected in the top rounds and those who aren't, are strongly failing, since most places in the bottom rounds are reserved for defenders, goalies and bottom-sixers. I see this kind of reasoning and it looks logical to me, but still I miss those romantic good old Yzerman-style BPA picks. :)

Clearly unacceptable :sarcasm: Though I am already looking forward towards reading your reports about next draft. :laugh:

I hope it will be much easier for me next season, since most of prospects will play on U18 NT MHL team, because gathering information about MHL guys was something like a nightmare this season. :help: P.S. Counting hours until the start of Hlinka Memorial. :D

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Didn't see your thread back then, just saw it, I must say it's very well detailed, love reading posts like those. Thanks a lot for your work ! :yo:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That seems to be the idea with Mironov. In two years stuart's contract will expire while Beauchemin will enter the final season of his. By that time Bigras should have joined EJ, Barrie, Zadorov and Beauch in the NHL. While Siemens is a big question mark. If he can stay healthy enough to actually put together a full season he could do it, but even if both of those kids have established themselves with Roy, Beauch is likely going to start looking ugly out there in that third season (if not sooner) and Siemens probably isn't going to establish an unbreakable hold on a top 6 spot that quickly even if he does stay healthy and see some good PT by then. If worst came to worst; Mironoc would be able to push Beauchemin for playing time and take over for the old-timer as the season progressed, becoming a regular by the playoffs, even if he didn't unseat Siemens in camp.

And that's if Siemens can get past his injury struggles and build on his strong cameo late last season & great camp last summer. If he can't make it in the next two seasons he's very likely to get lost in the mix with the kids the new regime has drafted who have been making big strides since being drafted (Bigras, Geertsen and Wood), or have just been drafted (Meloche). Which would leave an opening in the lineup just waiting for Mironov to step in.

I have no clue what to expect from Boikov on the otherhand. It's nice to hear he skates well at least. :dunno:

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Can anyone provide any insight on Zhukenov?

Lat's describe him as something like that:

Good: he is a center; good passer; does his homework at defensive end; good at contibuting to line's chemistry.
Neutral: not bad at face-offs, but it could be better; looks like he is more of a second fiddle than a leader.
Bad: really needs to become stronger; doesn't look as a strong finisher to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad