2015 NHL Draft - Russian Draft Class

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
What do you think of Rodrigo Abols? He isn't russian, but he is in the MHL/KHL.

He definitely got a good frame, decent pair of hands, nice work rate and some bloodlines as a bonus - he is a son of former Latvian NT player. Can become a poor man's Girgensons I think, I can think of a good chance for him to be selected at 6-th or 7-th round. Actually it is good to see that Latvian junior hockey, while being in a rather poor state, is still able to produce decent talents like Abols and Dzierkals.

What can people tell me about Mikhail Smolin?

One of the guys whom I'd like to see more - one of the youngest guys available this year with some good scoring touch. Although I definitely don't think he is selected at least this year.

What do Svechnikov-watchers in this thread think about the concerns about his skating (particularly skating backwards) that have been raised? I haven't watched, so I'm going mostly off some other posters on the forum.

Oh, I just guessed that this will be brought up at some point here. :) Actually those concerns came from CHL top talent game's on-ice testing - he was struggling with the backwards skating part there. In my opinion, skating itself definitely shouldn't be a concern in Svechnikov's case, since I never heard any complaints about his forward skating and he always looked very dynamic to me. Backwards skating is more about agility, which, I assume, might be a concern (how critical it is for attackers, btw?). Although I think I have read some posts in the original discussion that he has been seen doing those kind of maneuvers in-game without noticable troubles.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
I'm surprised Yegor Korshkov isn't getting more attention.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I have some more names I was hoping you could tell me more about and if you think they'll get drafted, because I know next to nothing about these guys:

Artur Boltanov, Decent size 22 goals and 39 points in 50 games in MHL.
Semyon Afonasyevski, Very good size 23 goals and 36 points in 43 games and first-time eligible for the draft. Why is there not more talk about him? Bad skating or something?
Yevgeni Nazarkin, Again very good size and first-time eligible. 21 points and +38 in 50 games. Seems like good numbers. What can you tell me about him?
Alexei Platonov, Giant kid, had good numbers last year but only 2 points in 26 games this year. Injury troubles? Does he have any upside?
Daniil Vovchenko, Smallish but pretty good numbers. Overage kid. Also a lot of penalty minutes, is he an agitator? What can you tell me about him?
Danil Yurtaikin, PPG in u18's, pretty good production in MHL considering he's a pretty late '97 birthday. Decent size at 6'0, 183lbs. Might keep growing. What do you make of him?

Very curious about these guys and any information would be helpful. I'm also a bit curious about Zhukenov since he might be coming over. Is he a better prospect than these guys or about the same?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How about Edmonton becomes New Russia

16. Yevgeni Svechnikov

33. Denis Guryanov/ Samsonov (I doubt either slips but maybe Russian Factor Scares everyone)

57. Alexander Dergachov

Add these guys to Yakupov, Yakimov, Slepyshev and we will be looking good!

They should pass on Svechnikov and hunt down the other guys you mentioned :)

My personal opinion, but I think Svechnikov might be a bit overhyped.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
I'm surprised Yegor Korshkov isn't getting more attention.

I like Korshkov, but I think he needs to prove that he can play good not only at SSS or MHL - next year should be a big one for him, I think he should finally get a chance for decent KHL minutes and, of course, U20 WJC. Although who knows, maybe, for example, Winnipeg will want to pick him this year, since he has some chemistry with Kraskovsky.

I have some more names I was hoping you could tell me more about and if you think they'll get drafted, because I know next to nothing about these guys:

Artur Boltanov, Decent size 22 goals and 39 points in 50 games in MHL.

I think some poster here was rather high on him, but I personally just don't see the upside.

Semyon Afonasyevski, Very good size 23 goals and 36 points in 43 games and first-time eligible for the draft. Why is there not more talk about him? Bad skating or something?

But it's not like he has done much so far to talk about him - stats are decent, but he also plays on a strong team. So far he looks to me something like a very poor man's Dergachyov - hard working, with a shot, but Dergachyov is just on another level, especially when talking about frame and it's usage.

Yevgeni Nazarkin, Again very good size and first-time eligible. 21 points and +38 in 50 games. Seems like good numbers. What can you tell me about him?

This guy just dissapointed me so much this season - he got strength, skating and passing, but he often looks so lazy - for example, likes to stand still at the blue line. Ok, it works for him at MHL, but no way he gets away with those kind of things at the pro level. Of course, I'm not writing him off, since I hope that coach Bragin can kick those kind of things out of him.

Alexei Platonov, Giant kid, had good numbers last year but only 2 points in 26 games this year. Injury troubles? Does he have any upside?

And this guy I'll probably write off - he looked like a pylon at Hlinka Memorial, then was injured and during the season showed nothing to even consider him U18 NT candidate.

Daniil Vovchenko, Smallish but pretty good numbers. Overage kid. Also a lot of penalty minutes, is he an agitator? What can you tell me about him?

Vovchenko is not big, but he is rather agressive and this also sometimes results in dirty plays, which causes those PIM (just remember last year's U18 WJC and misconduct - kind of typical). Apart from that, he has a very good hands, shot and skating.

Danil Yurtaikin, PPG in u18's, pretty good production in MHL considering he's a pretty late '97 birthday. Decent size at 6'0, 183lbs. Might keep growing. What do you make of him?

Yurtaikin is a very good skater, creative guy, doesn't afraid to take initiative at offense. From this group you have written I think he has most chances to be drafted this year.

Very curious about these guys and any information would be helpful. I'm also a bit curious about Zhukenov since he might be coming over. Is he a better prospect than these guys or about the same?

I'm not a big fan of Zhukenov, but I would pick him over these guys though. Not like he is on a different level, but I think he brings more value to the game.

They should pass on Svechnikov and hunt down the other guys you mentioned :)

My personal opinion, but I think Svechnikov might be a bit overhyped.

I'm definitely an overhyper, but I think I have an excuse - Svechnikov really has every talent you'd want from an offensive winger.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Thanks guys, it's really nice to hear so many positive replies. :)

As it was already mentioned, Tampa actually has #28, not #29. And with Bishop, Vasy, Gudie and Wilcox in the pipeline I really don't think they will pick a goalie with their first pick. Actually I have a feeling SFY might want to trade up if it is possible.

Shestyorkin was probably the only good guess I made last year and it wasn't a guess actually, since NYR were heavily scouting him for something like a half year before the draft. This year it is rather quite in that sense, except of some well known connections (Provorov/Toronto, Tkachev/Edmonton, Lazarev/Nashville).

Golyshev was really dissapointing at the U20 and I won't bet a single cent that he will be NHL-er.

Thanks, I just thought that since nothing unanswered left there, it would be better to have a pre-draft dedicated thread.

His production is good, not excellent though for an early 96 born. Actually if you look at Tampa picks, then those guys were usually a pretty known ones, so I can imagine he would become one after a good U20 performance.

I totally agree with you, size is pretty much the main reason why I didn't include him in the list, although he is a very well schooled goalie prospect.

Yes, for evaluating of this year's Russian factor, Kaprizov should be pretty indicative, since players of his type very often fell or have gone undrafted at previous draft years.

I respectfully disagree about Golyshev at the WJC. He was dangerous on every shift, and had some beautiful assists. He is small but extremely quick on his skates, has fantastic hands, and almost welcomes taking hits. His size may prevent him from being an NHL prospect, but not his talent and skill. I think he will be dynamic in the KHL, if that is where he ends up.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
I was hoping to post a more frequent updates, but with just a little bit more than 24 hours left until the big show there aren't a lot of news to post (why do we need all those sports news agencies at all? :sarcasm:).

Denis Guryanov mentioned that 27 teams interviewed him - that's basically every team that have picks in bottom first/upper second region.

Ilya Samsonov confirmed that he missed the combine because of injuries.

Flyers are rumored to be really liking Ivan Provorov (and who doesn't like him, eh?).

Oilers are rumored to show a lot of interest in Yevgeni Svechnikov.

Looks like Alexander Dergachyov has improved his draft stock with his appearance at the combine - less than a month ago he was estimated to be a late second round pick, but now there are more talks about him as an early/middle second round pick.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Wow, what a night that has been! :popcorn:

Provorov to Flyers was somewhat expected.

Guryanov to Dallas at 12-th is a huge surprise and a real reach - Dallas really decided to play that 'boom or bust' game.

Svechnikov - another surprise by Detroit, they haven't picked Russian in the first round since 1994 and the last Russian picked higher than at 7-th round was back in 2001.

Samsonov is also unexpected, since Washington doesn't seem to be in need for goalies, but Samsonov is something like 5 years away from Caps roster anyway, things can change by that time.

Buffalo getting rid of Russians, will Makarov also be out?

And yes, what an outside the box draft performance by Boston - really helped me fighting off sleep! :amazed:

Things are looking good so far, looking forward to the second day to find out the destination for Dergachyov & Co. After the first round there are still plenty of great prospects available, so it should be really interesting.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Wow, what a night that has been! :popcorn:

Provorov to Flyers was somewhat expected.

Guryanov to Dallas at 12-th is a huge surprise and a real reach - Dallas really decided to play that 'boom or bust' game.

Svechnikov - another surprise by Detroit, they haven't picked Russian in the first round since 1994 and the last Russian picked higher than at 7-th round was back in 2001.

Samsonov is also unexpected, since Washington doesn't seem to be in need for goalies, but Samsonov is something like 5 years away from Caps roster anyway, things can change by that time.

Buffalo getting rid of Russians, will Makarov also be out?

And yes, what an outside the box draft performance by Boston - really helped me fighting off sleep! :amazed:

Things are looking good so far, looking forward to the second day to find out the destination for Dergachyov & Co. After the first round there are still plenty of great prospects available, so it should be really interesting.
Is Guryanov the same type of player as Nichushkin? As they took him 10th in another deep draft.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Is Guryanov the same type of player as Nichushkin? As they took him 10th in another deep draft.

I think in terms of 'strength*skating' parameter they can be compared, although Nichushkin is on another level in terms of strength. I personally think Guryanov is a better finisher and is more dynamic, but I'm definitely not a fan of Nuke and can be biased against him.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Another year, another awesome and informative thread by Caser. Well done, and I'm glad your optimism about Russian prospects were shared by the GM's as well. First time since 2001, when more than 3 Russians are taken in the first round of the draft.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Another year, another awesome and informative thread by Caser. Well done, and I'm glad your optimism about Russian prospects were shared by the GM's as well. First time since 2001, when more than 3 Russians are taken in the first round of the draft.

Thanks, I really appreciate your praise. :)

I didn't thought about that number of first round Russians, but yes, you're totally right, last time more than 3 Russians in the first really was back in 2001, which was also held in Florida. Over 30 Russians were selected that time btw. :naughty:

About the optimism, right now it looks like I was nowhere near to the GMs optimism, actually years of Russian factor taught me to stay rather negative when doing the evaluation. :D

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
I now actually hope that Detroit grabs also Lazarev, it would be just perfect: everyone (Lazarev, Svechnikov, Detroit organization) would win from this pick.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
KGfFmd.png

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
A lot of noise in my head now, just some quick thoughts:

Andrey Mironov - extremely surprised by this pick, I actually thought he was too old to be drafted since he was passed three times already.

Mikhal Vorobyov - really looked great at U18 WJC with all the dirty work and faceoff wins, was the last cut from my list, since I didn't thought that NHL teams are looking at this type of Russian players.

Kirill Kaprizov - Minnesota didn't pick Russians since 2004.

Vladislav Gavrikov - Columbus didn't pick Russians since Filatov in 2008.

Nikita Korostelev - looks like I wasn't the only one who was disappointed with him this season, hope that failing to 7-th round does him some motivation.

Ivan Fedotov - Flyers are scouting MHL? Or did they just look at the numbers?

Almost no U20 guys drafted this time is rather strange to me.

Edmonton not willing to pick Tkachev even at #209 basically sounds like an insult. :shakehead

Anyway, I need some time to clear my mind, then I'll probably make some write-up here. :)

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
It's been some time after the draft now and I was too busy to make a write-up earlier, but I hope it is better late than never.

Selections:

Ivan Provorov - at least no surprises here, at #7 to Philadelphia, everyone is happy, don't know if I should add anything here, so I won't. :) Already signed ELC, so I think we can expect at least 9 NHL games for him in the foreseeable future.

Denis Guryanov - and here is a surprise (and not only for me I believe), which might need some comment. Dallas obviously needed RW and Guryanov is clearly best RW in terms of upside, so they decided to go for it. Why at 12? I think Dallas wouldn't mind trading down a little bit, but it's obviously not always possible. I find it rather ironic that I don't like both Nichushkin's and Guryanov's style of play and they both end up in Dallas. :D Anyway, Guryanov got 2 more contract years in KHL and I don't think he will cross the pond earlier than that.

Yevgeni Svechnikov - classic BPA pick by Detroit. Failed a little bit because of Guryanov and Boston, but apart from that he got picked where he should be. By the way, is Svechnikov (as 1996 born) eligible to play for Grand Rapids in 2016-2017?

Ilya Samsonov - to me his draft position is clearly a sign that this draft is not that strong as it was hyped. Washington decided he is a BPA, and it's hard not to agree that at least he was one of those at 22. At first thought it doesn't sound too logical for Capitals - goalie, who is something like 5 years away (at best) from making Washington roster, but I don't think anyone else at #22 could help Capitals immediately and also seriously doubt that Holtby can keep up this season's level of play five years from now.

Yakov Trenin - looks like a surprise, but again, we're looking at Nashville addressing their needs here: they're best C prospect is Kamenev and his offensive upside looks decent, but not much more and Trenin, if he gets his skating to a decent level, can be projected as a creative Top6 center. Already signed ELC with Nashville. Very strong draft picks by Nashville this year by the way.

Alexander Dergachyov - I was predicting a second round, but looks like a little bit of Russian factor here: contract with KHL tycoons SKA could've scared some teams off. Although I also think that there was not only that: judging by his offensive potential he looks more like a bottom-six/role player guy than a top 6 center. Dergachyov is expected to play at CHL next season, so if some teams missed him because of KHL fears, those should learn how to contact players (and I'm pretty sure LA did).

Sergei Zborovskiy - really glad that I wasn't the only one, who liked this guy. Why at third round? Rangers drafted forwards with their first two picks, clearly needed a defender then and (surprise!!) at #79 there wasn't a big choice of defenders anymore (deep and strong draft, eh?), so, if Rangers see similar things to what I see in him, 3-rd round pick is pretty legit.

Andrei Mironov -Wow! I mean, I didn't even know he is available for draft after being passed 3 times before (btw, can someone, please, clarify to me, what is the max draft age for European players?). Motivation is pretty easy here: Colorado defense is legendary bad (including the prospect pool) and Mironov already has ton of KHL experience and earned a reputation as a strong and responsible defender and even got some Russia NT experience as well. Also I somehow think that this could be the case when all of remaining 2 years of KHL contract might be not fully served. And yes, btw, Colorado didn't pick Russians since 2004.

Mikhail Vorobyov - this year's Pavel Kraskovsky: I didn't thought that those kind of players are in high demand by NHL teams, but looks like I was wrong. Vorobyov had a great U18 centering Guryanov and showing that he can be great at doing all the dirty work like important faceoffs and winning the puck for Guryanov. 4-th round seems really reasonable actually, by the way, I think Flyers did well this draft (and not because they drafted a lot of Russians).

Dmitri Zhukenov - as it was mentioned, before the draft he already expressed his desire to move to CHL, so I think it influenced Vancouver's desire to pick him. With all being said about KHL being a good place for development, many teams still prefer a bird in hand.

Kirill Kaprizov - KHL experience is a valuable thing, it shows that a player can be competitive at pro level, which is very important for undersized players (yes, something to think about for small players who are leaving for CHL hoping to increase their draft stock). First Russian pick for Minnesota since 2004.

Pavel Karnaukhov - probably Flames scouts had a lot of chances to see him, since he played for Hitmen, so I believe they saw something similar to what I did see in him - possibly great upside hurt by the inconsistency.

Vladislav Gavrikov - Columbus was desperate to improve defender prospect pool - spent 6 picks on defenders and Gavrikov definitely had one of the highest values from players available at 6-th round, so that finally looks as some common sense from NHL teams. :) He is an overager, with KHL contract and still haven't proven anything on KHL level - so 6-th round is no surprise to me and I don't consider that as falling. Columbus didn't select Russians since Filatov in 2008, by the way.

Sergei Boikov - heard some good things about him this year, but haven't actually seen him, probably Colorado scouts have seen much more of him and liked what they saw. But yes, this pick is again totally related to Colorado defender situation.

Nikita Korostelev - biggest mystery of the draft, but let's take a closer look to that. If we look at selections overall, it is very noticeable to me that this year most teams were rather strictly bound to pick players according to their needs and not a BPA. Therefore teams that needed to add potential Top6 wingers to the prospect pool have done it in the upper 3 rounds (and it isn't actually too surprising to me that Korostelev failed out of top 3 rounds). And since rounds 4-6 were used mostly to add some D, GK and muscles, there was no place for Korostelev there too.

Ivan Fedotov - solid MHL stats, 6'6" size and Flyers in need of GK prospects - sounds like a logical match.

Nikita Pavlychev- "Picking a 6'7" guy, who is a huge fan of your team in 7-th round" - don't you think that this is how GMs imagine a perfect draft pick nowadays? :D

Ziyat Paygin - if you're wandering, what it takes to break the Russian factor, the answer is pretty simple: 6'6". GMs love the size and this love is stronger than the Russian factor fear.

Unselected:

Size matters group (Vladimir Tkachev, Maxim Lazarev, Kirill Pilipenko) - yes, the good old size factor is a big thing. If for Tkachev and Pilipenko this season wasn't too good, then for Lazarev being not picked there is no other explanation than the size. It's a shame though, since Lazarev has competitiveness just written all over him.

Rusian factor group - U20 (Sharov, Leschenko, Yudin, etc) - NHL teams are still cautious about KHL based players, especially about those, who are contracted to KHL tycoons like SKA and CSKA. For me, the biggest surprise here is that Denis Kostin went undrafted, as a lot of goalies were drafted in the lower rounds.

Conclusions:

18 Russian players drafted in total - Russian factor has become weaker, but is still there, but now it is in different form again - NHL teams are trying to avoid picking players contracted to richer KHL teams. It is interesting that the total number can change over time, since both Pavel Karnaukhov (eligible to play for both Russia and Belarus) and Dennis Yan (eligible to play for both USA and Russia) stated that they haven't decided on their final eligibility.

KHL experience is a valuable thing for increasing the draft stock though - it is a clear sign that a prospect is ready for something more than the junior hockey.

While I have thought that size factor might become weaker after success of Gaudreau, Kucherov and Johnson, it actually became even stronger. Especially for goalies - if earlier it was like 'it is good for goalie to be big', now it is transformed to 'goalie must be big' (you can ask Denis Godla about it). But again, Kaprizov's example showed that KHL experience might compensate the lack of size.

At the first thought it seemed that the stronger draft (although I still have a feeling that it wasn't as strong as it was hyped) would make teams go for BPA more often, but it actually went the other way around: teams were more addressing their needs when picking a player. It has some logic actually - if you're able to get a strong player for the problematic prospect pool position, it can be a jack-pot basically. Although I can understand that a lot of fans are rather disappointed by this approach, as everyone wants to see their teams pick more flashier players.

And, what seems more importantly to me, somehow I don't really think that a lot of serious conclusions can be made after this draft (at least not by this draft alone), I think in this way it definitely can be considered a special draft. :)

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Hey Caser, would you give your impressions of Vorobyov and Provorov on the Flyers board? You seem to really know your stuff about these guys and I'm still itching for as much info on our new prospects as possible. Unless you feel you've said all that you feel needs to be said already about them in this thread.

Good thread, now that the Flyers seem very Russian friendly, I'll look forward to your thoughts on next year's class as well!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Glad to hear your thoughts about Mironov and Boikov. I think there are some misconceptions about the state of the Avs defense and prospect pool. The defense has improved by adding Zadorov and the defensive pipeline is a strength but no doubt who can't use more defense. Boikov I haven't been able to find much on or any reason in particular why he was drafted. I did have the chance to see him in development camp and he sure is a strong skater at least (our camps have no scrimmages so we'll see how his defense is in training camp). Mironov to me is much more of a strategic move than anything else. Maybe you can tell me, any word out there when/if he would come over to the NHL and if there had been any rumors of teams looking to sign him. I think because he was still 20 at the draft he was eligible. I think the Avs very much wanted to cut off access from any other teams looking at bringing him over, if they can do so remains to be seen.

Did a little digging, seems European players who are not age 22 (birthday at any point in the draft year) can still be drafted. I believe Mironov turns 21 this year so therefore this would have been his last year of eligibility.

Last edited:

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Hey Caser, would you give your impressions of Vorobyov and Provorov on the Flyers board? You seem to really know your stuff about these guys and I'm still itching for as much info on our new prospects as possible. Unless you feel you've said all that you feel needs to be said already about them in this thread.

Good thread, now that the Flyers seem very Russian friendly, I'll look forward to your thoughts on next year's class as well!

About Provorov, I think I have written something on the Flyers board, but I think those were just congratulations after the pick. :D Provorov has actually a pretty frequently updated personal thread (you can find link to it in OP) where just everything can be found about him. I actualy find surprising that a lot of Flyers fans are rating Sanheim ahead of Provorov, I (even if pro-Russian bias is taken away from me) would chose Provorov any day of week. But again, I'm pretty serious in hoping that there is a next Zubov in him.

About Vorobyov, I just noticed that there is a pretty good description of him already posted on Flyers board from HockeyProspect.com. Only thing I can add is that Guryanov probably wouldn't have been selected at #12, if he hadn't been centered by Vorobyov at the U18 WJC.

Glad to hear your thoughts about Mironov and Boikov. I think there are some misconceptions about the state of the Avs defense and prospect pool. The defense has improved by adding Zadorov and the defensive pipeline is a strength but no doubt who can't use more defense. Boikov I haven't been able to find much on or any reason in particular why he was drafted. I did have the chance to see him in development camp and he sure is a strong skater at least (our camps have no scrimmages so we'll see how his defense is in training camp). Mironov to me is much more of a strategic move than anything else. Maybe you can tell me, any word out there when/if he would come over to the NHL and if there had been any rumors of teams looking to sign him. I think because he was still 20 at the draft he was eligible. I think the Avs very much wanted to cut off access from any other teams looking at bringing him over, if they can do so remains to be seen.

I know it is not a clever thing to argue with Avs fan, since I'm not that familiar with the current state of things there, but here's what i seen in current roster: EJ (no problems here), Tyson Barrie (good, but still has something to prove), 35 years old Beauchemin and Stuart - I really wouldn't call it a competitive D. If we add Zadorov here, he is not going to revolutionary improve things, even more, he still hasn't really proved anything at the moment. And looking into the D prospect pipeline from my point of view before the draft there were basically Bigras (fine) and Siemens (and his development is taking a bit too long) - again I've seen a better prospect pools at D.

About Mironov, I haven't heard any comment from him after the draft, probably he also didn't know that he was available. :sarcasm:

Did a little digging, seems European players who are not age 22 (birthday at any point in the draft year) can still be drafted. I believe Mironov turns 21 this year so therefore this would have been his last year of eligibility.

Thanks for clearing that out for me, those age eligibility differences for NA and European prospects are really confusing. :)

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
About Provorov, I think I have written something on the Flyers board, but I think those were just congratulations after the pick. :D Provorov has actually a pretty frequently updated personal thread (you can find link to it in OP) where just everything can be found about him. I actualy find surprising that a lot of Flyers fans are rating Sanheim ahead of Provorov, I (even if pro-Russian bias is taken away from me) would chose Provorov any day of week. But again, I'm pretty serious in hoping that there is a next Zubov in him.

About Vorobyov, I just noticed that there is a pretty good description of him already posted on Flyers board from HockeyProspect.com. Only thing I can add is that Guryanov probably wouldn't have been selected at #12, if he hadn't been centered by Vorobyov at the U18 WJC)

Thanks! Zubov was a really great defenseman, I would love if Provorov had that kind of impact. And Vorobyov is very intriguing to me, glad to hear he makes players better by doing the hard work. Sounds like a Russian Couturier from what I've read

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm not technically surprised about Lazarev not being drafted but at the same time I kinda am, although I guess disappointed would be a better word for it. When I participated in a mock draft a few weeks prior to the real draft I had him on my list from the 3rd round and onwards but felt like I never really could justify picking him because I had other guys on my list that was still available that I felt was more interesting. I think this could have been the reason why he went undrafted as well. Probably many teams who had him on their list but just wasn't their first choice.

Another factor might be that he doesn't really have any skill in particular that jumps out at you. Anyway, after doing this mock draft I went back and looked at some footage of Cape Breton again and really started to change my mind. Lazarev IS a pretty fine player and I thought that many times it was because of him that Svechnikov could get points and not vice versa. I think that might have been a common misconception among scouts.

Yes, Lazarev is a small player but, in my opinion, he makes up for his lack of size in almost every other area. He is a really smart player in my book, very aware of where to be and where his teammates are at all times, meaning great vision and hockey IQ. He's a good enough skater and can both set up and finish plays. I think a lot of times scouts see the intangibles or some particular trait of a player and stare themselves blind on it when sometimes you just have to look at the numbers. Lazarev actually scored 80 points, with 36 of them being goals. That's not bad production at all. Timashov for instance, who is also a small '96 born (although first time draft-eligible) had 10 more points but only 19 of those 90 points were goals. Basically what I'm trying to say is I think people will regret passing on Lazarev. I'm pretty confident he can carve out an NHL career.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
It's been some time after the draft now and I was too busy to make a write-up earlier, but I hope it is better late than never.

Clearly unacceptable :sarcasm: Though I am already looking forward towards reading your reports about next draft. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad