2015/16 Flyers Roster Thread

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Dave Isaac think Hextall wants to make a trade to avoid having to send anyone else thru waivers, presumably Manning. He also thinks Porter has more offensive ability than VandeVelde so there's that to consider.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Dave Isaac think Hextall wants to make a trade to avoid having to send anyone else thru waivers, presumably Manning. He also thinks Porter has more offensive ability than VandeVelde so there's that to consider.
****ed that up already by keeping VV over Porter LOL. Keep Manning as he competes hard compared to others.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You complain that the Flyers have too many low skill guys, and yet you also complain when they keep a guy coming off a 15 points in 72 games season and waive a grinder who had 2 points in 24 games.

It's almost as if you complain just for the sake of complaining.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
****ed that up already by keeping VV over Porter LOL. Keep Manning as he competes hard compared to others.

You keep pulling this "competes hard", "hustles", "cares" garbage straight out of your ass with ZERO logic behind it.

You're literally just picking low skill players and using that as some idiotic excuse as to why they should be on the team. Unfortunately for you, all the players on this team bust their ass and compete. You can't use effort as a real excuse.

You should really try thinking about what you're saying to check if it makes sense before you post it because all you're doing right now is embarrassing yourself.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Porter is 31, VV is 28. Doesn't require a lot of thinking which 4th line winger you protect if they're essentially equal in talent.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Boston would claim Manning in a heartbeat, they have two injured defensemen.

Hextall's problem is he'd like to trade L Schenn (or Gudas, but Schenn would do more to solve his cap problem), but no takers, at least on his terms, right now.

I think he also has "buyer's regret" when it comes to Gagner, but he didn't want to rush Konecny and AK, so he needed someone to play wing.

Hextall is a realist, he's like to compete this year, but no move will make them better than a marginal playoff team, so he's not going to sacrifice assets toward that goal. It's clear that he puts a high value on draft picks and building up organizational depth, and he won't be pushed into dumping assets that could garner picks (remember, he's obtained 3rd rd picks for McGinn and Rinaldo, and he can look at Sandstrom and Tomek to see the value in getting those picks, even if the player never makes it, you're garnering "lottery tickets.").

It's frustrating to fans who don't look at the whole picture, much like Hinkie, it's not about tanking but refusing to pursue short-term moves at a long-term cost to win games now instead of fielding a competitive team down the road.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
I don't know why so many of you are down on Manning. If you listen carefully, I think Hextall is trying to figure out a way to keep him up. Hakstol likes him as well, and he has looked pretty good in the three preseason games. Is it that hard to believe that he has finally improved enough where he can play as the #5 or #6 Dman on a regular basis? He isn't a stud in one particular area, but he does everything pretty well. That should be good enough to be on the bottom pairing.

I think the problem is the GM and the Coach possibly think he has outplayed AMac, Gudas, and Schenn so far, and they are trying to be creative to keep him up. I think tomorrow night Streit and Schultz will be scratched so they will let the bottom four guys compete and see what happens.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Manning has not looked good. Pay closer attention.

Striiker, I've watched all three games and specifically focused on him. I've seen maybe one rough play by him each game. Other than that, he has joined the rush, had several shots on goal, cleared the crease a couple of times, and made decent outlet passes. Why do you say he hasn't looked good? Do you think Schenn, AMac, and Gudas have looked better? All I'm saying is he has played the most solid between the four of them, and that is his main competition.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's looked like a third pairing defenseman on a mediocre defense.
Which is similar to MacDonald, Gudas, and L Schenn, and for that matter, Streit at ES. None of whom I hope are in the top 4 pairings next season.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Striiker, I've watched all three games and specifically focused on him. I've seen maybe one rough play by him each game. Other than that, he has joined the rush, had several shots on goal, cleared the crease a couple of times, and made decent outlet passes. Why do you say he hasn't looked good? Do you think Schenn, AMac, and Gudas have looked better? All I'm saying is he has played the most solid between the four of them, and that is his main competition.

There isn't a single aspect of his game where he stands out. Not one. In the NHL there has to be at least one thing you're good at, otherwise you're just like Lecavalier, a waste of space. He's no better than MacDonald, Schenn, or Gudas and each of them have at least one aspect of the game where they're better than him.

He's joined the rush but was never actually dangerous, he's played D but never effectively and it was against weak competition, and it's not like he's some great puck mover either. Each of the other 3 are better choices than him and the only way he replaces any of them is as a cheap #7 that rides the bench. He's silly not good enough to stick in there NHL and he never will be. This is the same as how people wanted Lauridsen or McGinn when they came up and were insanely mediocre... the only attractive part of them is that they don't have a bad rep yet, otherwise it's clear they don't belong.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Manning got walked around in the DZ last night when a Devil banked the puck off the right boards, and was out of position on that PP goal, but it sounds like the coach and GM thought he played pretty well. I do agree that they don't want to risk him on waivers if possible.

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015
I didn't focus on him too much during games but doesn't the fact that he was put on ice during 3-on-3 OT tell that Hakstol had some confidence in him? Just wondering...

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
I noticed that Luke Schenn's name has been the one brought up to ship out. While he never lived up to the hype, and at times like Coburn, makes a bone headed play, he still is a pretty steady defenseman who brings physicality to the D.I think he is seriously under-appreciated here. If or when he goes, that element will be missed imo

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
When I watch Manning, I always see a guy who is just barely not ****ing up. He manages to make a not-bad play, but it seems like it's always really close.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I noticed that Luke Schenn's name has been the one brought up to ship out. While he never lived up to the hype, and at times like Coburn, makes a bone headed play, he still is a pretty steady defenseman who brings physicality to the D.I think he is seriously under-appreciated here. If or when he goes, that element will be missed imo

Um. Gudas.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Manning is better than MacDonald and Schenn. Just throwing that out there. He just needs to work on his positioning in the zone, which can improve. That's why coaches exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad