2015/16 Flyers Roster Thread

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Interesting quotes from Hextall in Meltzer's blog today.

Hextall said after practice that, in an ideal scenario, the team would carry seven defensemen on the NHL roster but that "we’re not going to let a guy go for nothing," to get down to that number and enable the team to carry a 14th forward. The GM declined to discuss anything regarding trade discussions except to once again reiterate that, if he feels it will improve the team, he will make a move.

The GM acknowledged that figuring out if Vincent Lecavalier has a role in the lineup is still one of the issues that needs to be determined over the next week.

"Some things have to play out in the next two games and that’s one of them," Hextall said. "There’s other people involved as well, obviously. Scotty [Scott Laughton] and Sam [Gagner], and whoever else plays center, Brayden [Schenn] looks like he is going to stay on the wing, so it’s hard to kind of pinpoint right now where everybody fits. So we’ll wait for the next two games and things will hopefully flesh themselves out where Vinny ends up. I have no idea so we’ll see.”

Hextall was more complimentary of Brayden Schenn's preseason performance than he was last week when he said the player had been "OK". The GM also praised Schenn's ability to play all three forward positions as needed.

“I think part of the allure of Brayden is to play all three positions, that’s a good thing. You go through a long year, guys get banged up, you have a guy here you need to have a guy there, you need to have a guy there, the fact that he can play all three positions he’s a versatile guy and I’m not convinced he’s not equally as adept at playing all three positions, so it’s almost like okay you have a weakness here, Brayden can go there," said Hextall.

"I think that’s good to have on a hockey club and again when you go through times during the year and you get banged up to have a guy that can play all three positions is a good thing. I think he’s proved he can play the right side, is it a big enough sample? Probably not, but he can certainly go over there at least for a while and obviously can play the left and the middle so that’s a good thing for us.”

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Post-Practice-Roundup-Injury-Updates-and-More/45/71294

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah that sounds like a GM that saw Vinny and Gagner at C and realized how important it is if we actually had an injury to Couts or even worse, Giroux.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It would seem at this stage that:

Raffl -- Giroux -- Voracek
xxxxx -- Couturier -- Simmonds
xxxxx -- xxxxx -- Schenn
xxxxx -- Bellemare -- White

Is seemingly close to being 'locked in' and that:

Read will either play 2LW or 3LW.
Umberger will either play 3LW or 4LW.
Gagner will either play 2LW or 3LW. (or maybe 3C?)
Laughton will play 3C if he makes the team.
Vinny will play 3C if he makes the team.
VdV & Porter likely in fight for last spot on roster.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Brayden Schenn is getting looks on the LW again. He ended the game there last night and was on LW for practice today. He could end up on Couturier's LW. I'd like to see him there.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Brayden Schenn is getting looks on the LW again. He ended the game there last night and was on LW for practice today. He could end up on Couturier's LW. I'd like to see him there.

From a statistics perspective there is certainly an argument that:

Schenn -- Couturier -- Simmonds

be at least tried for a few games... each player has had chemistry with the other.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Except Schenn doesn't look comfortable as a LW.
Some players like to play the opposite of their dominate side, because they get a better shooting (but worse passing) angle.
I think you keep Schenn at RW, Read at LW and see if Gagner can handle LW, otherwise Umberger is LW for the third line.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
What do you guys think the #1 PP unit will look like to start the season?
Any chance Del Zotto replaces Streit?

Streit is way better in that spot than Del Zotto is. I wouldn't even put Del Zotto on the second one. Let Medvedev run it with Gagner, Couturier, Laughton and either Schenn or Raffl (which ever isn't on the first)

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
From a statistics perspective there is certainly an argument that:

Schenn -- Couturier -- Simmonds

be at least tried for a few games... each player has had chemistry with the other.

This is true and Hextall said he isn't sure B.Schenn plays any of LW, C or RW worse than any others. Gagner is soft enough on the boards, so being on the right side might help him a little and Read, although RH is competent defensively.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I really believe that it has nothing to do with Schenns ability to not play left wing. I think it was him not being able to play with g and jake. They play such a fast paced game that it didn't bold well with schenn. Him with coots is what makes schenn look good. It's a slower more possessional game which seems to suite him well. He may not be all that possessional but that slower tempo works for him and a 10 - 14 - 17 would be a very good 2nd line.

Leaves a huge issue. If Laughton does not make the team that means Vinny plays 3c and 24 - 40 - 89 is not an appealing line

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Vinny everywhere is a nightmare. But if it is Read-Laughton-Gagner, you have Gagner as a right handed shot being able to feed to fast guys off the rush, Laughton, left handed, driving the net and Read cutting into the slot as a right handed shot.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Schenn has played RW all preseason but Hextall obviously thinks he can play LW or C, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him in any of those positions on opening night.

What do you guys think the #1 PP unit will look like to start the season?
Any chance Del Zotto replaces Streit?

No chance unless Streit gets injured or traded.

Last edited:

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Streit is way better in that spot than Del Zotto is. I wouldn't even put Del Zotto on the second one. Let Medvedev run it with Gagner, Couturier, Laughton and either Schenn or Raffl (which ever isn't on the first)

Oooooo I like the sounds of the second unit.

I swear I'll break so many TVs if MacDonald ends up on ANY PP units this year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Streit gets traded, it'll be to make room for Ghost.
And to clear enough cap room to buy out Vinnie.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It's too bad Schenn can't play LW as well as he can RW... That'd be helpful.

We really need to stop saying this like it's conclusive based on just a handful of games.

Schenn is streaky. It's not at all unlikely that one of his good streaks simply coincided with his brief time at RW. Don't be so quick to infer causality.

Evergreen

We really need to stop saying this like it's conclusive based on just a handful of games.

Schenn is streaky. It's not at all unlikely that one of his good streaks simply coincided with his brief time at RW. Don't be so quick to infer causality.

I agree with this. At the same time, Brayden has stated that if he has to play wing, he prefers RW.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Blackhawks fan, but decided to try and rebuild the Flyers on NHL 16. Won the Stanley cup in 2018 after rough first two seasons. Game winning goal in OT vs the Dallas Stars scored by Scott Laughton lol. No crazy trades or stupid free agent signings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad