2015/16 Flyers Roster Thread

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
So why the **** are they changing up the PP setup???????

The one thing that consistently works is being messed with...

I saw that tweet from Meltzer and almost threw up. Maybe they're just trying some stuff. I can't imagine Giroux and even Voracek and Simmonds would be happy messing with something that's been so successful for 4 years now.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So according to Meltzer even though Read practised with Couts and Simmer today Hakstol said that

Schenn -- Couturier -- Simmonds

is still preferred for the opener.

Also unsure who starts between Gudas and Schenn atm.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Its nice to not have to make a bunch of LTIR moves and moves before LTIR to alleviate cap.

Yes, they don't have a lot of room, but they have room.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So according to Meltzer even though Read practised with Couts and Simmer today Hakstol said that

Schenn -- Couturier -- Simmonds

is still preferred for the opener.

Also unsure who starts between Gudas and Schenn atm.

If it's Schenn I assume they'd go with:

Schultz-Streit
MDZ-Medvedev
Manning-LSchenn

Since I think Medvedev did not play with Luke all preseason.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
read is probably our best two way winger, if he is with coots i suspect that to be the main shutdown line, if he is with laughton i suspect that to be the main shutdown line.

Considering how bad simmer is in his own zone it makes sense to put schenn with coots and have a real shutdown line of read laughton and umberger all 3 are good in their own end.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
In theory I agree, but Read and Laughton got spanked in the last preseason game. Hopefully they will be ready for the Tampa onslaught on Thursday.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
read is probably our best two way winger, if he is with coots i suspect that to be the main shutdown line, if he is with laughton i suspect that to be the main shutdown line.

Considering how bad simmer is in his own zone it makes sense to put schenn with coots and have a real shutdown line of read laughton and umberger all 3 are good in their own end.

Meh. Couturier has hauled far worse players around against hard competition. I doubt Simmonds is worse than Umberger, Rinaldo, or Vinny (who loved to push Couturier to wing and take over as center on D).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Seems like the 'changes' to the PP at practice today were simply for the benefit of the 2nd unit and getting different looks according to Meltzer:

Hakstol said the tweaked practice setup was mostly for the benefit of the second power play unit.

"We had two lefthanded defensemen running it off the strong side with Couturier," said Hakstok. "It's different look, so that's something we wanted to run today. There's a couple different looks we can have with that unit. In terms of a benefit, you are looking at ways to maximize each of the two units. We haven't had a lot of time to work with the Couturier unit -- obviously, with him being out of the lineup -- so we're touching on that in the last day or two."

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=71466

Meltzer's post today is awesome overall, it is actually better that usual I think, which is really saying something! A joy to read really, very in depth and informative... the kind of hockey journalism Philly deserves:

Some excerpts:

* Sam Gagner left practice early but Hakstol said afterwards the player is fine. Hakstol also said that felt Gagner actually had a pretty good training camp but needs to focus on certain areas of his play, and the two have discussed it. While Hakstol declined to elaborate, it is pretty clear that the coach wants the player to play a "harder" game with more attention to two-way responsibilities.

* The Flyers briefly worked on shootouts in the second half of practice. Evgeny Medvedev scored the "Peter Forsberg postage stamp" goal against Michal Neuvirth. while Claude Giroux successfully pulled of a lateral change-of-direction in close against Steve Mason.

* Mason tends to be a rather vocal goalie out on the ice, and Gudas said he's already noticed that the goalie is one of the better communicators with whom he's worked.

"He's very good, actually. I've had a great experience with him on the PK. Like sometimes he calls out where to clear -- which was to clear to -- and that is a big help. I'm really happy to have him out there," said Gudas.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't expect that Manning-MDZ pairing to last long in the slightest. They both have a strong tendency to be defensive trainwrecks.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't expect that Manning-MDZ pairing to last long in the slightest. They both have a strong tendency to be defensive trainwrecks.

I have this image ready for Thursday night. Hopefully it won't be applicable.

bilde

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just can't wait for all the people who constantly cry about MacDonald to make excuses for Manning. :laugh:

He's going to be at least as bad, no doubt. Two garbage players but one doesn't have the reputation yet.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I just can't wait for all the people who constantly cry about MacDonald to make excuses for Manning. :laugh:

He's going to be at least as bad, no doubt. Two garbage players but one doesn't have the reputation yet.

Especially on a pair with MDZ. It's going to be a train wreck.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
The third pairing was always going to be a train wreck regardless. It is all just shuffling chairs on the Titanic.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I will give Manning at least 10 games in the lineup in a row before I come down on him.

I've seen enough of MacDonald to do that.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Manning already played more than 10 games.

If we're conveniently ignoring everything before this season then I'd expect MacDonald to get the same 10 game trial.

But of course not, he's MacDonald. And since Manning isn't, he's somehow automatically better.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Manning already played more than 10 games.

If we're conveniently ignoring everything before this season then I'd expect MacDonald to get the same 10 game trial.

But of course not, he's MacDonald. And since Manning isn't, he's somehow automatically better.

It is because of the contract. If MacDonald was making under a million, people would be psyched about him and call him a steal. But he's making so much that folks can't get past the contract. The reactions around here on most players is mostly that they are either great players because they are exceeding their contracts, or terrible players because they are not living up to their contracts. Same thing goes for trades. If a player gets out played by the guy the Flyers traded away, the player will have a hard time getting a fair shake. There aren't a whole lot of in between opinions on players like this.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As said before by Curu, after game 4 we have a 6 day layoff. I expect changes that week based on how those games went.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
At least Manning has a good shot and a little snarl to his game.

MacDonald offers zero positives and I doubt he's any better than Manning defensively. Hell, I've seen MacDonald twice leave the center of the ice on breakaways to cover a less dangerous forward coming down a wing. It's nonsensical and makes you really question his hockey sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad