WC: 2015 — Divisions I-II-III

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
The biggest name in hockey will be back in the elite division next year.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=22132

IIHF_2014_vadim_krasnoslobodtev62.jpg

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
This was his first international tournament, at that advanced age. What's the deal with that?
If you read what I wrote carefully, you'll see that my point was that there are some graying heads on the Kazakh team. Yes, it was his first international tournament, and he did very well in it as did all the other players I mentioned. The decline that I'm talking about is the fact that many of the Kazakh players are well past their prime and their statistics are starting to reflect that. That coupled with the fact that the team is just older in general makes them perhaps less of a threat than they may seem even with a plethora of imported players.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
This was his first international tournament, at that advanced age. What's the deal with that?

Playing for Kazakhstan internationally would mean that he would get considered as a foreigner in Russian leagues thus making him less appealing to potential employers. There are plenty of really solid players that have never suited up for Kazakhstan down the years or have done it only in the twilight of their careers like Konstantin Rudenko.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Well, there are ethnic East Slavic players on the Latvian team every year as well (Jerofejevs, Jekimovs, etc., this year). It's just a reflection of national demographics and their domestic cultural differences in the case of Romania, if some ethnic group is over-represented.

It's got nothing to do with foreign mercenaries, though.

Just wondering, why do you say ethnic East Slavic players? I mean, aren't they Russian?

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Playing for Kazakhstan internationally would mean that he would get considered as a foreigner in Russian leagues thus making him less appealing to potential employers. There are plenty of really solid players that have never suited up for Kazakhstan down the years or have done it only in the twilight of their careers like Konstantin Rudenko.

Ah, thank you. I sort of suspected that.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
If you read what I wrote carefully, you'll see that my point was that there are some graying heads on the Kazakh team. Yes, it was his first international tournament, and he did very well in it as did all the other players I mentioned. The decline that I'm talking about is the fact that many of the Kazakh players are well past their prime and their statistics are starting to reflect that. That coupled with the fact that the team is just older in general makes them perhaps less of a threat than they may seem even with a plethora of imported players.

What I meant was that if he was always eligible, and given his ability, he should have been playing for Kazakhstan for years.

zamo86*

Just wondering, why do you say ethnic East Slavic players? I mean, aren't they Russian?

Not if they're Belarusian, Ukrainian or Polish. Next to Russians the next most numerous ethnic minorities in Latvia, with the three groups together accounting to about 10% of the country's population.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Here are the highlights.

Great atmosphere in the stands. Congratulations to Hungary; it's so refreshing to see some non-traditional teams at the WC.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
What I meant was that if he was always eligible, and given his ability, he should have been playing for Kazakhstan for years.
If that's what you meant then I'm sorry, I didn't get exactly what you meant. I think Ozo explained pretty well why that is. Then with imports from North America the problem is that they slosh around between the AHL and the NHL for years before they commit to going to the KHL and then have to wait 2 years so they also usually start pretty late and pretty close to the end primes.

DonDa

Apr 28, 2012
Budapest
Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
only the lower divisions promote 1 and relegate one.

why arent you a fan of just 2 teams being promoted and relegated? I dont understand people...

The reason for me is simple. Hungary have to be 14th to stay up so rather than be better than 1 they need to be better than 2 to stay so they likely head right back down.

Same for the Kazakhs

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
The reason for me is simple. Hungary have to be 14th to stay up so rather than be better than 1 they need to be better than 2 to stay so they likely head right back down.

Same for the Kazakhs

Currently tournament is set up so, that in order to stay up, the newcomer only needs to be better than one of the regular elite teams. Even if only one team were promoted/relegated, the task would be identical - better one of the regulars.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Count me as someone who doesn't like seeing national hockey feds implementing the 'ringer strategy. In the long run it doesn't seem to accomplish much, if anything it probably does more harm than good. I wonder if what prompted Italy's move away from mass natralization was the fact that 'small' hockey countries like Norway, Denmark and France, who did things the 'hard way' and built from within, have over the past decade blown past them.

Same for the Kazakhs

If only one team was promoted/relegated each year then Hungary wouldn't have to worry about trying to finish 14th or higher in the elite division next year because they wouldn't have even been promoted to begin with.

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

Same for the Kazakhs

One up one down would be incredibly boring as you'd get the same teams changing hands at the bottom.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Not if they're Belarusian, Ukrainian or Polish. Next to Russians the next most numerous ethnic minorities in Latvia, with the three groups together accounting to about 10% of the country's population.

Oh okay. Man, the Latvians are lost deep in the Slavic lands.

Anyway big congrats to Hungary. It's good to see someone different make it to the elite division. Poland would have been great as well of course.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
They had to justify two up two down when they divided the old twelve team Division I into IA and IB to stop teams like Kazakhstan playing Estonia.

kulenova seka

They had to justify two up two down when they divided the old twelve team Division I into IA and IB to stop teams like Kazakhstan playing Estonia.

Actually Estonia beat Kazahstan in Olympic qualifications for Salt Lake city (4:2) and in old Division system they lost 2:1 in 2007. while beating France 4:3 after SO and in 2003. they beat Italy (3:1) who came from Elite division with bunch of their canadians.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad