GDT: 2014 Winter Olympics (Non-Hockey Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 151739

Ok enough about curling.

Apparently there is a ski slopestyle event and it appears to be even more insane than snowboarding slopestyle was (at least I don't remember any double backflips being landed in the snowboarding event).

Why'd Shaun White drop out of the slopestyle? Everyone was talking about how they were excited to see White in this new event. So I don't understand, I don't really follow those events.

Kaner Coffee

Anna for Hart Trophy
Jul 2, 2011
Chicago
Kate Hansen.. :nod:

Kate%2BHansen%2BGIF.gif

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
To each their own. I was referring to Eve Muirhead by the way. It's mostly the eyes.

I'm not saying she's not decent looking, just wouldn't jump all the way to smoking hot.

Anyways, the LiveExtra app won't login to my Charter Account. Typing the same information that I just used to login to my account on the Charter website. So much for that.

Nothingman*

There was a brunette Russian curler who was extremely attractive.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
OK to the actual curling game itself. I forget how this sport works every four years so am not really back up to speed yet, but I heard the U.S. women's team gave up 7 points on one end somehow?

021114_curl.jpg

How is that even possible?

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
from what I remember, having all of your rocks in the circle while all your opponents' are outside is generally a good thing.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
OK to the actual curling game itself. I forget how this sport works every four years so am not really back up to speed yet, but I heard the U.S. women's team gave up 7 points on one end somehow?

021114_curl.jpg

How is that even possible?

Jeez...how terrible are they that they didn't just whip something in there and clear some of those out?

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Jeez...how terrible are they that they didn't just whip something in there and clear some of those out?

They were trying to minimize the damage so they went for a tricky shot with their last stone to try to cut the 6 points to 2. They missed the shot by an inch or so and their stone was then knocked out by the last shot by GBR.

In regards to scoring, as far as I've come to understand it, it's all stones in the red circle and inside get a point. There's 7 in the red circle or closer to the middle. If USA had 1 yellow stone lets say the third closest to the middle, it would cancel out any red stones that were farther outside than it, so GBR would have only scored 2 in that case. I'm at work so I can't edit that picture above to explain, sorry. Hopefully this was close enough.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
They were trying to minimize the damage so they went for a tricky shot with their last stone to try to cut the 6 points to 2. They missed the shot by an inch or so and their stone was then knocked out by the last shot by GBR.

In regards to scoring, as far as I've come to understand it, it's all stones in the red circle and inside get a point. There's 7 in the red circle or closer to the middle. If USA had 1 yellow stone lets say the third closest to the middle, it would cancel out any red stones that were farther outside than it, so GBR would have only scored 2 in that case. I'm at work so I can't edit that picture above to explain, sorry. Hopefully this was close enough.

That actually did explain things for me quite well.

Thanks!

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
from what I remember, having all of your rocks in the circle while all your opponents' are outside is generally a good thing.

Curling is big in Canada - and i have family members heavily involved in it and at a sr. level (obv not in the olympics) - and i still don't get what the hell i'm watching.

...and, i'm sorry...but is it ever a ****ing boring sport to watch.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Putting some serious thought into figuring out if/how I can/should stream the games at work without anyone noticing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad