GDT: 2014 Winter Olympics (Non-Hockey Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothingman*

That was definitely an impressive event to watch, as was the women's speed skating. The legs on those women...god damn.

It must be a prerequisite to have loooooooong legs in that event.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
The good news: there's curling happening

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/curling/winter/13635/

The bad news: NBC is lame and makes you watch online

Thanks for the heads up on curling (and I am literally thankful as sad as that is) being online now. Surprised it's not on some NBC Universal cable channel as I remember curling being on cable a lot last Olympics.

Because I'm an Olympics junkie, I've found myself watching some events with a BBC stream this weekend and it was kind of interesting watching the way that the BBC people covered the women's slopestyle event vs. the staid NBC coverage. Deadspin doesn't even do their OTT commentary justice in this little snippet (http://deadspin.com/bbc-slopestyle-announcers-prove-the-u-s-holds-no-monop-1519428180) nor does Deadspin mention that the woman freaking out on the clip was one of the British slopestyle riders who did not advance past the semis, but joined the broadcast team for the finals. When the results finally came down and it was official that the Brits would get bronze even the male commentator joined the woman in crying and they ambushed the woman who won bronze with a surprise appearance from her parents. There was also a really hilarious moment live during the competition where a girl accidentally slid down the hill on her snowboard too early before she had been told to start and had to try to run back up the hill to get back and actually start her run. But because the hill was so steep and icy, she went halfway up and couldn't run the rest of the way and her coach tried to reach down for her and he slid down the hill too. So then they had to run around the side of the course back to where they could get to the starting position and the rider was completely out of breath even before going down the hill. :laugh: This was not shown at all in the NBC primetime broadcast unfortunately.

So as much as NBC sucks, at least other media coverage of the Olympics is somewhat accessible thanks to the Internet.

member 151739

You guys are missing curling. And game 2 for USA coming in a bit!

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Weren't there like 3-4 channels showing the Olympics at all times last Winter Olympics?

Yeah, but the last 2 Olympics were at much more reasonable viewing hours. With so much going on over night, NBC is using the games as a platform to better promote Live Extra, since so many are going to want to watch things On Demand with the hours they are live.

Will there be any way to stream the hockey games live in the US?

Everything can be watched at nbcsports.com/liveextra

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I watched the women's hockey game against Finland over the weekend. They're just on a totally different level than the competition, but I will say that the Finnish goalie, Noora Raty, can really ****ing play. I really think she could hold her own playing against men in the ECHL.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Yeah, but the last 2 Olympics were at much more reasonable viewing hours. With so much going on over night, NBC is using the games as a platform to better promote Live Extra, since so many are going to want to watch things On Demand with the hours they are live.

Everything can be watched at nbcsports.com/liveextra

Awesome thanks! Live Extra is free, right?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Ok enough about curling.

Apparently there is a ski slopestyle event and it appears to be even more insane than snowboarding slopestyle was (at least I don't remember any double backflips being landed in the snowboarding event).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad