2014 Memorial Cup Location

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Correct, but getting swept away, having a lead for about 30 minutes total (and never in a third period) in the series and its about as close to not being there as it gets.

Making the playoffs last yr alone was a bonus after dealing Kuhnhackl and Campbell

for piicks at the 1/3 pole of the season without getting anyone in return but picks

and losing Koko for the last 12 games plus playoffs

Any team losing 85-90 goals out of a lineup,and a No 1 goalie without getting any

offense in return would suffer

Hell London had nobody out,picked up offense in Watson and McKegg in the process

and still could muster only 1 goal in the Mem Cup final,talk about its about as close

to being there without winning

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Id rather get as close as possible, than not even be in the discussion. Were talking about the Spits and their likelyhood of hosting. IF roster was the biggest thing, theyd be in tough. This core has done nothing in the last 2 years to prove they could compete.

Take Londons rebuild year vs the Spits. Mark traded away DeSousa, Varone, Dorazio, Elrich et al for a nice return of picks, Thats alot of scoring. Lost their most effective player in round 1 vs OS (eventual champion) and took them to game 6. A game won with just over a minute to play. OS toughest series getting outta the West. The next year OHL champs. FF to Spits rebuild year, similar 8th place finish, and there the comparisons stop. Swept away and followed that rebuild with a non PO team.

Lots of excuses are thrown about when discussing the Spits fortunes. Bottom line is the rebuild was not done well and thats on Rychel and co. Lack of top end talent, misuse of cards, no depth ect...

And I still think they may host :) Go figure.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
will be the biggest joke ever if they get it. You don't get to host just because you've waited in line...this is not Tim Horton's. Earn it. Deserve it. Windsor has done neither.

I dont think anybody in the O has earned it,so I think the league should pass on it

I dont think anybody in the O has earned it,so I think the league should pass on it
Would be better than handing it to someone because they've "waited their turn". That's gotta be the lamest argument in the book. If you don't have the team..or the framework for a team..you don't deserve squat. Previous season standing should play 100% in the decision process. You can say you'll have this player returning and that player returning..but let's be honest..."on paper" is about as useful as one ply. I wouldn't trust either to do the job. Earn it....Deserve it.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
What has London done not earn it HL? Other than being good enough to host 9 years ago.
Solid returning group with experience ( prolly 2
Straight reg season league titles) Multiple first , second and later NHL picks come next year.
Matta, Zadarov, Domi, Horvat, Tierney, stolarz and throw in Elie, Anderson, liberati, platzer, Ryan R and maybe a Griff/ Broadhurst/ Sefton. And maybe 6 20 G guys returning.
Depth with picks, good draft history and ability and experience to make big deals to go for it.
Add in a sold out 9000 plus seat arena where people will pay for packages.( pay more than other centers)
Add in they had one of the most successful
Tourneys in history ( $, atmosphere, accommodations et al included)
What else do you figure they need HL, other than time?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
will be the biggest joke ever if they get it. You don't get to host just because you've waited in line...this is not Tim Horton's. Earn it. Deserve it. Windsor has done neither.

While i agree phlyer, I'm not beyond thinking politics may play a role.

Ill try a d stop by sunday for a chat if ur at game.

While i agree phlyer, I'm not beyond thinking politics may play a role.
Which is why I'll call it a joke. They've done nothing to prove they can host...prove it. "Oh... it's our turn" Bullsh*t

....."but but but we built a new arena and you promised us"...who cares...you sucked hind tit last year...you suck this year....the holy miracle of miracles is gonna happen over night? Earn it...Deserve it.

"Oh we've got a solid base"...so does a good camera stand....Earn it...Deserve it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Saskatoon is currently on a 14 game winning streak. Saskatoon also made the playoffs last season with a 40 win season. End of discussion.

Actually I am sure you can find a good number of posts saying having Saskatoon as host was a disaster because they weren't good. So the discussion isn't over unless those people will admit they were wrong.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Actually I am sure you can find a good number of posts saying having Saskatoon as host was a disaster because they weren't good. So the discussion isn't over unless those people will admit they were wrong.

I agree ,plus the fact the Blades have made 9 trades since the start of the season

including 4 at the deadline,those moves arent done it would the most embarrasing

choice ever IMO

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I agree ,plus the fact the Blades have made 9 trades since the start of the season

including 4 at the deadline,those moves arent done it would the most embarrasing

choice ever IMO

*cough* 14 game win streak, 2nd in the eastern conference. The Blades have outscored opponents something like 70-30 over the 14 games.

All you doubters can shove it up your tail pipe.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
*cough* 14 game win streak, 2nd in the eastern conference. The Blades have outscored opponents something like 70-30 over the 14 games.

All you doubters can shove it up your tail pipe.

Not doubting choice at all just pointing out teams ability to justify to being there

by making deals to help,it was clear Saskatoon was not good enough at the beginning

of the year and they have made the necessary adjustments/moves to be successful

great for them

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I wasn't one of those doubters so you can take that attitude elsewhere.

After what the organization has been through this year with having people suggest the league pull the Memorial Cup from Saskatoon (or take the Blades out), I'm sure you can understand why I would have a burr in my saddle when people suggest that giving the tournament to Saskatoon was a mistake.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What has London done not earn it HL? Other than being good enough to host 9 years ago.
Solid returning group with experience ( prolly 2
Straight reg season league titles) Multiple first , second and later NHL picks come next year.
Matta, Zadarov, Domi, Horvat, Tierney, stolarz and throw in Elie, Anderson, liberati, platzer, Ryan R and maybe a Griff/ Broadhurst/ Sefton. And maybe 6 20 G guys returning.
Depth with picks, good draft history and ability and experience to make big deals to go for it.
Add in a sold out 9000 plus seat arena where people will pay for packages.( pay more than other centers)
Add in they had one of the most successful
Tourneys in history ( $, atmosphere, accommodations et al included)
What else do you figure they need HL, other than time?

I see two of those things you mentioned mean nothing.

Selling out the Memorial Cup? The event sells itself any team that hosts the Memorial Cup those seats will be sold.

One of the most successful tourney's in history? That had nothing to do with Sidney Crosby being there and nothing to do with being the only hockey going on because the NHL was in a lockout. Are you counting on there being no NHL hockey next year as well?

Making big deals to go for it? You mean like this year when the Knights did nothing and teams like Plymouth, Belleville, Kitchener and Owen Sound all looking better than London since the trade deadline?

If the Knights don't win the OHL and Memorial Cup to follow they will only be categorized as the biggest chokers in OHL history. Don't talk to me about how the Hunter's always make big trades when they are contenders because this year they didn't. In 05/06 they didn't and proceeded to get swept by Peterborough. Or in 06/07 when they got spanked by Plymouth. The arrogance of the Hunter's this year has gotten in the way of winning another OHL title and trying to win a Memorial Cup.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Selling out the Memorial Cup? The event sells itself any team that hosts the Memorial Cup those seats will be sold.

One of the most successful tourney's in history? That had nothing to do with Sidney Crosby being there and nothing to do with being the only hockey going on because the NHL was in a lockout. Are you counting on there being no NHL hockey next year as well?

Making big deals to go for it? You mean like this year when the Knights did nothing and teams like Plymouth, Belleville, Kitchener and Owen Sound all looking better than London since the trade deadline?

If the Knights down win the OHL and Memorial Cup to follow they will only be categorized as the biggest chokers in OHL history. Don't talk to me about how the Hunter's always make big trades when they are contenders because this year they didn't. In 05/06 they didn't and proceeded to get swept by Peterborough. Or in 06/07 when they got spanked by Plymouth. The arrogance of the Hunter's this year has gotten in the way of winning another OHL title and trying to win a Memorial Cup.

Rayzor

You forgot about 2009 when they thought Trevor Cann would take them to the promised land,Ha Ha,we what happened there,Spits took them out in 5,great series no doubt,talk about underestimating ones team,Hunters have been guilty of that
Rychel does not appear to be the only one in that category

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor

You forgot about 2009 when they thought Trevor Cann would take them to the promised land,Ha Ha,we what happened there,Spits took them out in 5,great series no doubt,talk about underestimating ones team,Hunters have been guilty of that
Rychel does not appear to be the only one in that category

There's nothing wrong relying upon Daryl Borden in an all important must win game 4 in the Western Finals. As they say you get what you deserve if you want to rely upon a guy who was in Jr B to get you out of trouble you get what you deserve.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
There's nothing wrong relying upon Daryl Borden in an all important must win game 4 in the Western Finals. As they say you get what you deserve if you want to rely upon a guy who was in Jr B to get you out of trouble you get what you deserve.

Rayzor

Now,now most london fans wont admit that Hunters underestimated things only will

say Rychel does it

sbrug

Aug 30, 2012
If the Knights don't win the OHL and Memorial Cup to follow they will only be categorized as the biggest chokers in OHL history. Don't talk to me about how the Hunter's always make big trades when they are contenders because this year they didn't. In 05/06 they didn't and proceeded to get swept by Peterborough. Or in 06/07 when they got spanked by Plymouth. The arrogance of the Hunter's this year has gotten in the way of winning another OHL title and trying to win a Memorial Cup.

They've made big trades before, 2005, 2009, 2012 come to mind. Had everything going in 2009, Cann looked good but gets concussed after the deadline. Had to rely on Borden after an abomination of games 1-3 from Cann. Don't know what they were supposed to do at that time.

Your last sentence makes no sense. We are in February so it hasn't cost them yet if at all. London hadn't lost for two months and the deadline came and they got Mermis for nothing and Stolarz for nothing. Mermis looks like an offensive defenceman that London has needed for a long time. Stolarz is starting to look like the #1 goalie we've hoped for.

What trades were they supposed to make that would have lifted the arrogance from your mind? Were they supposed to trade a Welychka or Elie type who will be important parts for next year's run for a rental after going 60 days without losing a game? Maybe it's confidence.

Look around the league, Hunters haven't burned bridges like Rychel. The pompous ass thinks he can trade down in 2010 to draft his kid later on top of gettting another first rounder. We had to put up with Tucker and Garret Hunter being drafted in the 2nd and 5th rounds. Not even OHL level players.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
They've made big trades before, 2005, 2009, 2012 come to mind. Had everything going in 2009, Cann looked good but gets concussed after the deadline. Had to rely on Borden after an abomination of games 1-3 from Cann. Don't know what they were supposed to do at that time.

Your last sentence makes no sense. We are in February so it hasn't cost them yet if at all. London hadn't lost for two months and the deadline came and they got Mermis for nothing and Stolarz for nothing. Mermis looks like an offensive defenceman that London has needed for a long time. Stolarz is starting to look like the #1 goalie we've hoped for.

What trades were they supposed to make that would have lifted the arrogance from your mind? Were they supposed to trade a Welychka or Elie type who will be important parts for next year's run for a rental after going 60 days without losing a game? Maybe it's confidence.

Look around the league, Hunters haven't burned bridges like Rychel. The pompous ass thinks he can trade down in 2010 to draft his kid later on top of gettting another first rounder. We had to put up with Tucker and Garret Hunter being drafted in the 2nd and 5th rounds. Not even OHL level players.

Fact is since the deadline the Knights have been an average team there are 6-7 teams you can point to that have clearly been better. What's so great about Elie? 5g 8a this year. You can talk about him being a key piece for the future but nobody knows if he will do that. You maybe could have drafted a better player than Herbst in round 1 and moved him for a guy like Trocheck. Or how about Graovac who went for little at the deadline and has really increased the offensive punch in Belleville? Mermis is no better than Kevin Montgomery who was decent in London but never really delivered on the potential. I don't think Plymouth, Soo, Kitchener, Owen Sound or Guelph are fearful of London in the playoffs. The London team last year was better, they had more depth and better goaltending.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Fact is since the deadline the Knights have been an average team there are 6-7 teams you can point to that have clearly been better. What's so great about Elie? 5g 8a this year. You can talk about him being a key piece for the future but nobody knows if he will do that. You maybe could have drafted a better player than Herbst in round 1 and moved him for a guy like Trocheck. Or how about Graovac who went for little at the deadline and has really increased the offensive punch in Belleville? Mermis is no better than Kevin Montgomery who was decent in London but never really delivered on the potential. I don't think Plymouth, Soo, Kitchener, Owen Sound or Guelph are fearful of London in the playoffs. The London team last year was better, they had more depth and better goaltending.

I would agree for the most part,especially in regards to last 2 pts re last yr

I do think London was better last yr depth wise and in goal

As for next year while they project to be the best team on paper bidding not in dispute in my mind,it should not be the only reason for hosting or the deciding one
either,it that was the case Missy should not have hosted last time

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

I know ur picking trying to make arguments so let me help you out

Selling out matters. $ matters and 9000 people is more than the other bids have. Simple math and it does matter plus I think could charge as much or more than the others and still sell out easy with over 6000 season tic holders.
Tourney success. Regardless of the factors involved they ran a great tourney and all reviews I've seen have it top 3 all time. Crosby or no, they'd a sold it out. Crosby was actually one of the disappointments fans had. Not the on Ice, but off ice stuff. Isolated,
Seperate van in instead of team bus, not many autographs like others ect....
Knights didn't make a big deal, correct. I SAID he show. He's willing to.
And 2009 u mentioned, well he did pull the trigger, as well as host year. 2009 there were health with issues with Cann after deadline so when genius was he supposed to add a G. He'll do a trade if he finds value and feels it'll help. Adding a 2nd rd NHL PICK ( ya the and only Rychel couldn't convince to come to Windsor) and a top for D for nothing aint bad. Is it wrong to have confidence in your squad?

Biggest choke ever? Haha. You saying other teams have closed the gap but yet call them chokers lol. If they don't win , they were t good enough and Mark may have regrets. I wouldn't consider it chili g thou, the other teams a thallus try as well.
Maybe the biggest choke job is Windsor having 2014 on their radar for 3'yrs and are still in no position to host. That's choke, choke, chime by Rychel. 3 yrs and their not even close to an on ice host team.
Thankfully politics or blackmail may get them the host gig lol

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

choice ever IMO

Windsor has no where the resources the blades had to make those deals. They had #1 they were allowed to move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad