WC: 2014 Division IA • Apr. 20-26 • General Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
2014 IIHF World Championship Division I • Group A
Goyang, South Korea
April 20-26

Date | Game | KST (UTC-9)
Apr. 20 | Ukraine vs. Austria | 12:30
Apr. 20 | Japan vs. Slovenia | 16:00
Apr. 20 | South Korea vs. Hungary | 19:30
- | - | -
Apr. 21 | Austria vs. Japan | 12:30
Apr. 21 | Hungary vs. Ukraine | 16:00
Apr. 21 | Slovenia vs. South Korea | 19:30
- | - | -
Apr. 23 | Slovenia vs. Hungary | 12:30
Apr. 23 | Ukraine vs. Japan | 16:00
Apr. 23 | Austria vs. South Korea | 19:30
- | - | -
Apr. 24 | Slovenia vs. Ukraine | 12:30
Apr. 24 | Hungary vs. Austria | 16:00
Apr. 24 | Japan vs. South Korea | 19:30
- | - | -
Apr. 26 | Hungary vs. Japan | 12:30
Apr. 26 | Austria vs. Slovenia | 16:00
Apr. 26 | South Korea vs. Ukraine | 19:30

Last edited:

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
It will be interesting to see how Slovenia performs after such a brilliant tournament in Sochi.

Really depends what team we'll be able to send to this WC. In worst case more than half of Olympic team could miss because their clubs could still be in play-off in countries where they are playing. And this could cause a lot of problems because of small pool of avaliable players.

But I don't have any doubt, only goal of our NT is return to A group, regardless of what team will play there...

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Slovenia and Austria to get promoted this year then. With Hungary being the only challenger, but I don’t think they have what it takes to be quite honest.

Was hoping for GBR, but it seems like they got relegated to Div-1.B then?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Would love to see South Korea do well because of the Olympics. Hungary has potential for a hockey nation so I'll cheer for them as well.

Does anyone know if this will be streamed anywhere?

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I thought that they should be ranked at least 20th on the IIHF ranking to automatically qualify? And yes, they definitely want to send a team.
I haven't heard about that.

Usually the host qualifies in every single event, regardless of where they are ranked, just like Greece sent a baseball team at the 2004 Summer Olympics.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Just a side note, am I the only one who hates that they're called Division I A and B & Division II A and B when those tournaments don't really have much to do with each other?

You could just do it like this:

Division I A -> Division I
Division I B -> Division II
Division II A -> Division III
Division II B -> Division IV
Division III -> Division V

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Fasel has said he wants Korea to get up to 18th in the world rankings to give them an automatic spot as hosts in the Olympics. Not sure how much weight there is to that though, he could just be encouraging them to keep getting better.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
it would be neat if Hungary, Korea or Japan won. idk how likely that would be, but i always like seeing new countries make it to the Championship division.

Hubie

Jan 18, 2010
Finland
Just a side note, am I the only one who hates that they're called Division I A and B & Division II A and B when those tournaments don't really have much to do with each other?

You could just do it like this:

Division I A -> Division I
Division I B -> Division II
Division II A -> Division III
Division II B -> Division IV
Division III -> Division V

Yes! I love that they changed the format to correspond with the rather sharp decline in team strength that exists at all levels but they really should have changed the naming of the groups as well. Most people who don't follow closely will assume that A and B divisions are at equal level.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yes! I love that they changed the format to correspond with the rather sharp decline in team strength that exists at all levels but they really should have changed the naming of the groups as well. Most people who don't follow closely will assume that A and B divisions are at equal level.

It's a prestige thing AFAIK, hockey in these countries is more likely to get support from national and local governments or sponsors when the country's team plays Division IB for example rather than division II.

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
Bryan Young
Michael Swift
Brock Radunske

Disgusting "korean" roster. IIHF should BAN such mass naturalizations. Max 1 naturalized player per country, that's it. Develop your own players over time.

zamo86*

Tičar (F) and Kranjc (D) - Kölner Haie - and Jeglič (F) and Sabolič (F) - Ingolstadt- all play in the DEL semi-final and they arent even playing against each other, which means that if those two teams progress in the final (Kölner Haie is losing 0:1, Ingolstadt is winning 0:1) all four will be missing and wont be able to play for Slovenia. That would be a huge blow. Everybody else from the Olympic roster (except Kopitar) should be ready.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Bryan Young
Michael Swift
Brock Radunske

Disgusting "korean" roster. IIHF should BAN such mass naturalizations. Max 1 naturalized player per country, that's it. Develop your own players over time.

To be fair Brian Young, and his cousin Michael Swift have lived the past 3+ years in South Korea playing for High1 of the Asia League Ice Hockey(ALIH). Swift has become that league's Gretzky In the last three 40 game seasons he has had over 90 twice. This last season was an off year because High1 got gutted of its best players to play for Daemyung Sangmu. Sangmu is esentially South Korea's red army team equivelent. Military service is mandatory two years so instead of having their players stop playing over that time they are assigned to play for the military team.

seeep

Mar 13, 2011
i hope for Ukraina .. Ponikarovsky and Fedotenko will help them a lot
and Gaiduchenko is as golie it's not so bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad