2014-2015 General Wild Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well i have a different view than the title of your article. i believe a better coach could fix the power play & in years past a better coach could have stopped the bleeding quicker when we were slumping however i do not hold yeo responsible for proven goal scorers not scoring , and young guns not improving. players have to be held accountable for reasonable performance expectations.

Last edited:

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
The issue was it wasn't a 'slump'. A 'slump' is a period of poor play when a group is capable of playing better. The goaltending tandem we had out there proved time and time again that they were not able to play any better than what they were showing. You can't 'coach up' bad play.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
part 2 its fantastic that dubnyk helped turn the season from disaster to playoffs but it takes a team to win , not just one guy. (or gal). i'll repeat back when we were slumping i stated we needed a wake up trade , i had no idea dubnyk alone could make such a big difference. how does a goalie make players skate faster, grind harder or crash the net or block more shots? the team pulled their collective heads out of their (hello) stepped up and got it done.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
J1w98tX.jpg

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
3 intersting facts about Matt Cooke, since he broke into the NHL 17 years ago:

•He's only had 5 seasons with more than 100 PIM, and the highest he's had is 129
•He's only posted a minus +/- 4 of those seasons
•He's played 103 playoff games, almost 10% of his regular season game total.

I know his legacy will be cheap-shot artist, which is unfortunate. He'll eclipse 400 career points next season(at 398). Pretty good 6th rounder.

Streetcandy

Jan 9, 2015
3 intersting facts about Matt Cooke, since he broke into the NHL 17 years ago:

•He's only had 5 seasons with more than 100 PIM, and the highest he's had is 129
•He's only posted a minus +/- 4 of those seasons
•He's played 103 playoff games, almost 10% of his regular season game total.

I know his legacy will be cheap-shot artist, which is unfortunate. He'll eclipse 400 career points next season(at 398). Pretty good 6th rounder.

The thing I like most about his stats is that by looking at his PIM you can see exactly when he said he was going to clean up his game. Just wish he would've done it sooner.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

Heh, "lilleo". I call my nephew "Little Leo", since that happens to be his name.

Awesome picture. Always good to see linemates/D-pairings get along off the ice as well. Scandella/Spurgeon, Leopold/Dumba. I wonder what Suter and Brodin do together. I like to think they just stare at game videos silently, discuss hockey and work out. It would somehow seem right. :laugh:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I remember reading somewhere they starting playing together at like 17, so they've known each other for a few years now.
They weren't playing together, but they were at some combine together at some point (forget what it was for), and met and became friends...

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I don't know if already linked, but one more great article about Dumba and Leopold.. and kids.

Startribune Link
Leopold better playing days are behind him, but I was impressed with his vocal instructions to Dumba in game 1. You could see it from TV how he was helping Dumba with his decisions. Especially on things like end of shifts and in the neutral zone when a rookie might make a simple mistake.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Leopold better playing days are behind him, but I was impressed with his vocal instructions to Dumba in game 1. You could see it from TV how he was helping Dumba with his decisions. Especially on things like end of shifts and in the neutral zone when a rookie might make a simple mistake.

Honestly, this is exactly why trading for Leopold was a great thing for the on-ice product. Was he ever going to be a game-changer or single-handedly win us games? Of course not, but being able to pair him up with a guy like Dumba and help smooth out the rough parts of his developing game is well worth Falk and a 5th rounder.

Didn't we do the same thing with Burns when we brought in Keith Carney? I seem to remember those two getting along well and Burns crediting Carney with taking him under his wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad