Prospect Info: 2014/15 Marlies/Prospects Thread V.6 - Now with more Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I've always thought this but I feel like fans will torch you for an opinion like this. :laugh:

Haha yeah i see no world where he is a C... Hes gonna be a LW in my opinion.

Kadri and Nylander as a 1 two punch just doesn't seem healthy.

Strome-Kadri on the other hand seems good.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Nylander is the same size as Zetterberg, who was Detroit's 1C when they won the cup. And also Datsyuk is the same size as Nylander.

So we just need to teach Willie to be good defensively and we'll be good. I still see him as C, because he has insine vision and he uses his strenghts to the maximum when he is C.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Nylander is the same size as Zetterberg, who was Detroit's 1C when they won the cup. And also Datsyuk is the same size as Nylander.

So we just need to teach Willie to be good defensively and we'll be good. I still see him as C, because he has insine vision and he uses his strenghts to the maximum when he is C.

Size, or do you just mean height? Cause there's a big difference there...

buttman*

Let's also remember they called Datsyuk and Zetterberg surfs when they entered the league. They didn't become stars at 18.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Size, or do you just mean height? Cause there's a big difference there...

Yeah, you are right. But I think that height isn't all that matters, probably size matters more, because Crosby isn't the highest, but he is one of the strongest aka has great size.

And regarding last comment, they might have been called smurfs, but they won the Cup and I think that nobody complained about that.

I 'd love to see Nylander get some more muscles and be trained into someone like Zetterberg.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Haha yeah i see no world where he is a C... Hes gonna be a LW in my opinion.

Kadri and Nylander as a 1 two punch just doesn't seem healthy.

Strome-Kadri on the other hand seems good.

Why does it have to be a 1-2 punch? Why can't we roll Strome-Nylander-kadri as our hopeful 3 centers.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Man oh man are the Marlies small upfront: Nylander, Brown, Leipsic, Kozun, and Abbott are all a big (and small ;)) part of the team when in the lineup.

yeah, but three of those players are skilled forwards. Size doesn't really matter to me if the speed/skill factors in. And I don't see Abbott & Kozun having a future with the Leafs.

Our biggest organizational needs going into the draft are definitely: prospects with size and top-six upside (preferably down the middle), and all-around right shot d-men to compliment Rielly, Gardiner, and Percy.

Strome and Jeremy Roy - my knock on Strome is his skating, plus I'm high on Marner because of his elite potential offense skills, a bit undersized. Roy is a good two-way player with a right hand shot .

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
yeah, but three of those players are skilled forwards. Size doesn't really matter to me if the speed/skill factors in. And I don't see Abbott & Kozun having a future with the Leafs.

Strome and Jeremy Roy - my knock on Strome is his skating, plus I'm high on Marner because of his elite potential offense skills, a bit undersized. Roy is a good two-way player with a right hand shot .

does strome not have serious offensive potential? its not like marner is killing it in the "O" and strome is putting up gauthier numbers. the two are within a few points of each other.

if both marner and strome hit their ceilings are we looking at the difference between say a krecji and a patty kane? if that is the case given what the leafs have in the system right now i would think a krejci type center would be much more valuable then a kane type winger.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
does strome not have serious offensive potential? its not like marner is killing it in the "O" and strome is putting up gauthier numbers. the two are within a few points of each other.

if both marner and strome hit their ceilings are we looking at the difference between say a krecji and a patty kane? if that is the case given what the leafs have in the system right now i would think a krejci type center would be much more valuable then a kane type winger.

We already have a Kane type winger in Nylander too

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
True but you can bet Mark Hunter will draft Marner if he's there. I feel like Marner is the better player between the two because of his speed and will to battle.

Hunter is not the GM, nor is he the only voice in the back room.

The idea that Strome lacks compete is rubbish

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I think the way he play and his skill will eventually make him go to the right wing or the left.

Why is that, LR? I haven't had a chance to watch him with the Marlies yet, but I saw every game of his at the WJC, where he played both wing and center, and it was blatantly obvious that he was a superior player when playing down the middle. Like night and day. He was more engaged, took his defensive responsibilities seriously and performed them well, and was more dangerous offensively.

Every time I've seen him, his play has screamed center to me, so it's always intriguing to see people say he projects as a winger at the NHL level.

XxJammingxX

Mar 5, 2014
Leafs now own the last two CHL top scorers in Brendan Leipsic and Connor Brown.

Soon to be the third in Connor McDavid :yo:

And for those worrying about our new core's size... Chicago's tallest Top-6 player is Toews at 6'2". 3/6 are under 6ft.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Soon to be the third in Connor McDavid :yo:

And for those worrying about our new core's size... Chicago's tallest Top-6 player is Toews at 6'2". 3/6 are under 6ft.

It's not so much height size that I'm worried about. Its weight and strength. They're are tons of players that are 5'10 or 5'11 that thrive. The one thing they all have in common is strength and solid weight.

Take Kadri for example. He's 6ft. But looks smaller and plays smaller because he is rather thin and weak. Height is never the problem its weight and strength. Which is why I'd worry about Marner at just 160lbs.

note: Obviously weight is not always related to weight, but most cases they go hand in hand.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I've always thought this but I feel like fans will torch you for an opinion like this. :laugh:
Meh Just state it and hope for the best :laugh:
Why is that, LR? I haven't had a chance to watch him with the Marlies yet, but I saw every game of his at the WJC, where he played both wing and center, and it was blatantly obvious that he was a superior player when playing down the middle. Like night and day. He was more engaged, took his defensive responsibilities seriously and performed them well, and was more dangerous offensively.

Every time I've seen him, his play has screamed center to me, so it's always intriguing to see people say he projects as a winger at the NHL level.

Just the way he plays and his vision on the ice IMO. I fought with a lot of people when they said the exact opposite about Kadri, and I actually agree with the idea of letting him play wing for a bit to get strength and learn about his defensive responsibilities before he plays centre. However I dunno...call it a gut reaction or something. I just think this guy will play winger, unless they literally will be like NOPE you must and have to stay at centre if you want to stay with us.

I mean trust me I want nothing more of having a bonafide top six centre. Let's be honest the entire leaf team and fanbase wants one.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Anybody know what's going on with J.J. Piccinich? He's only played 19 games (Eichel plays on his team and has played 27) but I haven't seen him have an injury. He also only has 2 points... That's pretty awful considering he's supposed to be an offensive forward. Anybody know what's up?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Anybody know what's going on with J.J. Piccinich? He's only played 19 games (Eichel plays on his team and has played 27) but I haven't seen him have an injury. He also only has 2 points... That's pretty awful considering he's supposed to be an offensive forward. Anybody know what's up?

He's a freshman

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's a freshman

That's not really an excuse for 2 points in 19 games though. Him being a freshman is the only thing that is keeping him from being on the brink of being considered a bust. I just want to know what's up with him...

Nolan Vesey has 18 points in 29 games as a freshman, and I would have thought playing on a decent Boston University squad and getting some good 2/3 line minutes would have been good for him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad