2014-15 IIHF World Junior Championship Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

Are you saying they were dominated and blown out?

Or they were dominated and won?

Not watching so I don't know

Completely and utterly dominated. I think the shots were like 51-15 at the end of regulation and they won 2-1 off Fucale's incompetence

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Completely and utterly dominated. I think the shots were like 51-15 at the end of regulation and they won 2-1 off Fucale's incompetence

Hockey Canada's decisions with WJC goalies have just been baffling over the years. It's all the more a problem because the Americans, Russians, Swedes, and Finns seem to always have a big edge in goaltending. Part of that is Canada's generally not producing guys like Vasilevski, Gibson, Saros, etc, but decision-making is also a big issue.

I wouldn't have even picked Fucale for the team much less give him the apparent inside track at starting. I don't think he is garbage but he has got to be the most overrated goalie prospect in recent years.

ZeroPT*

Hockey Canada going full hockey Canada by cutting Dal Colle.

Bronze!!1

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
There has been this terrible trend in Canada of teaching goalies not to catch the puck. Don't even ask me the rationale, but tonight showed just what not catching the puck does. Led to both goals in a game Russia had no business being in.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@markhmasters -
Canada Forwards - McDavid - Petan - Lazar - Domi - Reinhart - Duclair - Ritchie - Paul - Point - Crouse - Gauthier - Fabbri - Virtanen.
Canada Defence - Nurse - Theodore - Morin - Bowey - Morrissey - Heatherington - Hicketts.
So Canada's 22-man roster is set for the WJHC - next big decision will be naming a captain.

@SabresProspects - #Samson coming in at 2/1 odds.
But fellow WJC returnee and Memorial Cup Champ Lazar could be the more popular choice to lead Canada. We shall see.

Last edited:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Canada has completed their roster cuts, with one Samson Reinhart not among them.

I scarcely believe it!

@markhmasters -
Canada Forwards - McDavid - Petan - Lazar - Domi - Reinhart - Duclair - Ritchie - Paul - Point - Crouse - Gauthier - Fabbri - Virtanen.
Canada Defence - Nurse - Theodore - Morin - Bowey - Morrissey - Heatherington - Hicketts.
So Canada's 22-man roster is set for the WJHC - next big decision will be naming a captain.

@SabresProspects - #Samson coming in at 2/1 odds.
But fellow WJC returnee and Memorial Cup Champ Lazar could be the more popular choice to lead Canada. We shall see.

Not that I think it makes a difference but Lazar is the more obvious choice going by how people typically look at these things. Two WHL championships, Memorial Cup championship, and he's been in the NHL all season.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Did Austin Matthews play for USA against BU? Im looking forward to watching him this year in the WJC. Isnt he the early front runner for #1 overall next year?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
NHL Network-United States TV Schedule.

Friday, December 26 - 3:00 pm ET - LIVE - United States vs Finland.
6:00 pm ET - Tape Delay/Edited - 2 Hours - Denmark vs Russia. 8:00 pm ET - LIVE - Canada vs Slovakia.

Saturday, December 27 - 7:00 am ET - Tape Delay/Edited - 2 Hours - Sweden vs Czech Republic.
1:00 pm ET - LIVE - Denmark vs Sweden. 5:00 pm ET - LIVE - Czech Republic vs Switzerland. 8:00 pm ET - LIVE - Canada vs Germany.

Sunday, December 28 - 11:00 am ET - Tape Delay/Edited - 1 Hour - Finland vs Slovakia.
5:00 pm ET - LIVE - Russia vs Switzerland. 8:00 pm ET - LIVE - Germany vs United States.

Monday, December 29 - 1:00 pm ET - LIVE - Czech Republic vs Denmark. 4:00 pm ET - LIVE - Slovakia vs United States.
7:00 pm ET - Tape Delay/Edited - 1 Hour - Russia vs Sweden. 8:00 pm ET - LIVE - Canada vs Finland.

Tuesday, December 30 - 5:00 pm ET - LIVE - Denmark vs Switzerland. 8:00 pm ET - LIVE - Germany vs Slovakia.
Wednesday, December 31 - 4:00 pm ET - LIVE - United States vs Canada. 8:00 pm ET - LIVE - Finland vs Germany.
Friday, January 1 - 8:00 am ET - Tape Delay/Edited - 1 Hour - Czech Republic vs Russia. 9:00 am ET - Tape Delay/Edited - 1 Hour - Sweden vs Switzerland.

Friday, January 2 - 1:00 pm ET - LIVE - Quarterfinal #1. 5:00 pm ET - LIVE - Quarterfinal. 8:00 pm ET - LIVE - Quarterfinal.
Saturday, January 3 - 12:00 am ET - Tape Delay/Edited - 2 Hours - Quarterfinal.
(LaxSabre - This will be the showing of the Friday, January 2 - 3:00 pm ET Quarterfinal.
If Canada or the United States or both play in this game - expect the game to be shown LIVE. )

Sunday, January 4 - 4:00 pm ET - LIVE - Semifinal #1. 8:00 pm ET - LIVE - Semifinal #2.
Monday, January 5 - 4:00 pm ET - LIVE - Bronze Medal Game. 8:00 pm ET - LIVE - Gold Medal Game.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Did Austin Matthews play for USA against BU? Im looking forward to watching him this year in the WJC. Isnt he the early front runner for #1 overall next year?

He did not play last night. I think that with a few obvious exceptions Team USA wanted to evaluate bubble players last night.

By the way, Tuch looked great. I think he's one of the favorites to be the guy Murray was going after last draft. He and Eichel have great chemistry together. I also think Bracco looked pretty good on Compher's wing.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I didn't catch much of the USA-BU game, but Tuch did look great. If USA lost the puck in the offensive zone, you expected that they were going to end back up with it. He battled well for it. Eichel plays with the puck so far away from his body that he can make a pass (around the net in the clip below) a split second before you might expect him to have the angle.

http://www.goterriers.com/collegesportslive/?media=468320 (AUTOPLAY AUDIO WARNING)
Nice Tuch/Eichel shift starts at feed time 27:45

Hanifin 2 on 1 shorthanded goal starts near 18:50
Eichel 2 on 1 shorthanded goal starts near 19:45
Compher-Bracco-Compher goal enters the zone at 1:44:00

(does anyone know how to turn off the auto audio feed on the goterriers site? Watching it live wasn't an issue, I just muted the player's audio, but damn that's annoying watching it on any delay at all)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Not that I think it makes a difference but Lazar is the more obvious choice going by how people typically look at these things. Two WHL championships, Memorial Cup championship, and he's been in the NHL all season.

Isn't Compher one of the leading candidates to wear Team USA's C?

Having 2 Cs in one WJC would be too much to ask for. :laugh:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Isn't Compher one of the leading candidates to wear Team USA's C?

Having 2 Cs in one WJC would be too much to ask for. :laugh:

He's considered a strong candidate. Some of the younger guys in camp have praised his effort to get them comfortable and prepared.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena

Yes he's an early front runner. Some have been comparing him to Eichel.

Not a player comparison, just that he may be a better prospect than Eichel. I think this is almost entirely because he is a US center.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't understand what you're trying to say as both Eichel and Matthews are US centers

He's saying the comparison between the two is almost entirely based on them both being US centers. I'd say it's more specifically because they were both the centerpieces of the NTPD team and put up outlandish production.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Karabacek and Dvorak are the final two cuts for the Czechs. The Sabres got hit hard this go around: Karabacek, Baptiste, Bailey, and Florentino all guys who had a shot and didn't make it. Karabacek is the most egregious. I don't think you'll find a Czech booster on the WJC board who supports the decision.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yes he's an early front runner. Some have been comparing him to Eichel.
TSN was making the case that he could be drafting before Eichel if he was eligible for this draft. I don't watch a lot of NCAA hockey but Matthews and Bracco are two players who I have been watching closely. I follow Eichel a little bit too but Im already brainwashed by the media that he's going to be automatically good and a franchise player so I go with it but when I watch Matthews I am very very impressed. More so than when I watch Eichel. I like to think of Matthews as the American version of Tavares.

I can't wait for the new years eve game. Canada vs US.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Eichel plays with the puck so far away from his body that he can make a pass (around the net in the clip below) a split second before you might expect him to have the angle.
Exactly my observation the very first time I saw him play. Very tough to defend. Once he grows fully into his size and bulks up on his skates, he's going to be unbelievably difficult to contain.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Rosters for tonight's exhibition games:

Canada vs Sweden - 7:00 PM - Thread

Canada:
#16 Domi - #23 Reinhart - #10 Duclair
#21 Ritchie - #17 McDavid - #27 Lazar
#19 Petan - #20 Paul - #29 Fabbri
#28 Crouse - #22 Gauthier - #18 Virtanen
#9 Point