2013 WJC Thread - USA! USA! USA!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Can't wait to hear Cherry's excuse to why Canada blew this one.

You know he won't criticize Murphy, haha.

Seriously though, Canada was flat-footed and 'Murica put 'em deep in a hole early, Subban and the whole defense outside Harrington was shaky, Gibson was terrific, and the odd time our forwards did have Gibson beat, they hit posts.

US deserved to win. Congrats!

Sideline

May 23, 2004
You know he won't criticize Murphy, haha.

Seriously though, Canada was flat-footed and 'Murica put 'em deep in a hole early, Subban and the whole defense outside Harrington was shaky, Gibson was terrific, and the odd time our forwards did have Gibson beat, they hit posts.

US deserved to win. Congrats!

I thought Harrington had a weak 1st period, but sadly he was still Canada's best d.

On a semi related note: Ryan Murphy is terrible. How is he considered a top prospect?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I thought Harrington had a weak 1st period, but sadly he was still Canada's best d.

On a semi related note: Ryan Murphy is terrible. How is he considered a top prospect?

I thought he was solid all the way through. On the scramble play on the 1st goal, he got clipped behind the knee by McCabe and was playing catch-up for the rest of the play. But agree to disagree, he was the best d-man for Canada either way.

Murphy...I don't know what to say. He sucked like he's sucked all tourney long, but Spott kept force-feeding his golden boy icetime. He can rush the puck and has a bomb of a shot, but he's such a liability out there, and he doesn't manage the puck well when he does have it, even offensively.

Another head-scratcher among many from Spott, like the choice of Subban over Binnington, splitting up MacKinnon/Drouin, etc.

PS - I'm equally unimpressed with Hamilton. He didn't do anything noteworthy all tourney long.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I thought he was solid all the way through. On the scramble play on the 1st goal, he got clipped behind the knee by McCabe and was playing catch-up for the rest of the play. But agree to disagree, he was the best d-man for Canada either way.

Murphy...I don't know what to say. He sucked like he's sucked all tourney long, but Spott kept force-feeding his golden boy icetime. He can rush the puck and has a bomb of a shot, but he's such a liability out there, and he doesn't manage the puck well when he does have it, even offensively.

Another head-scratcher among many from Spott, like the choice of Subban over Binnington, splitting up MacKinnon/Drouin, etc.

PS - I'm equally unimpressed with Hamilton. He didn't do anything noteworthy all tourney long.

The rage I feel on this one... I watch a fair bit of Mooseheads hockey. Those two cycle the puck like Sedin and Sedin. They just *know* without looking where the other guy is and where to put the puck so they other guy can make a play.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The rage I feel on this one... I watch a fair bit of Mooseheads hockey. Those two cycle the puck like Sedin and Sedin. They just *know* without looking where the other guy is and where to put the puck so they other guy can make a play.

In a short tournament, you'd think he'd have gone with the out-of-the-box chemistry, especially since that 2nd line never did find its groove. But again, common sense isn't the first thing that comes to mind when analyzing Spott's decisions.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Congrats to the U.S and those supporting them. Guess I should start bandwagoning Sweden now. :laugh:

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Forsberg is a beast. Freaking moronic decision not to pick him.

He's everywhere, on the offense he's right there, on the back check he's there and does a great job.

Lim Ran

Apr 11, 2009
Toronto
I was sitting there during the draft going "Forsberg. FORSBERG. PICK FORSBERG."

They just discussed how he fell to #11 and how he's actually clearly a Top 5 talent on TSN.

32837072.jpg

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Forsberg is a beast. Freaking moronic decision not to pick him.

He's everywhere, on the offense he's right there, on the back check he's there and does a great job.

Big, strong, skilled, determined, RH shot winger with leadership...why would we want one of those?

Better let him fall to a hated rival.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Big, strong, skilled, determined, RH shot winger with leadership...why would we want one of those?

Better let him fall to a hated rival.

or either of the teams between us and the rival who apparently didn't want him at those spots either

ps: can we not have this argument take over another thread?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
or either of the teams between us and the rival who apparently didn't want him at those spots either

Nobody said the Penguins were the only team wrong to pass on Grigorenko and Forsberg.

I think that in a thread about the WJCs, talking about two of the prominent players on the teams currently playing is about as topical as it gets. Ignoring impact players just seems like sticking our collective heads in the sand.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Nobody said the Penguins were the only team wrong to pass on Grigorenko and Forsberg.

I think that in a thread about the WJCs, talking about two of the prominent players on the teams currently playing is about as topical as it gets.

fair enough I guess. I just feel like this conversation has played out so many times already. I really don't want it to turn into a draft analysis thread instead of a WJC thread.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
fair enough I guess. I just feel like this conversation has played out so many times already. I really don't want it to turn into a draft analysis thread instead of a WJC thread.

All interested parties should watch the game and judge for themselves. ;)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
by all means, talk about how good he's playing. That's very topical. But every comment about Forsberg doesn't need to lead to a discussion about how we should have drafted him. In this case, it started with discussion about how we should have drafted him before even mentioning his actual play.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
by all means, talk about how good he's playing. That's very topical. But every comment about Forsberg doesn't need to lead to a discussion about how we should have drafted him. In this case, it started with discussion about how we should have drafted him before even mentioning his actual play.

Only natural to see it go in that direction when we're half a season removed from the draft, there's no NHL, we're spitballing about skilled forward options for the big club, and two of them are playing great hockey in the most widely watched hockey event at the moment.

The only reason for avoiding the argument is to avoid making valid critiques that might hurt some sensibilities, IMHO.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I won't lie... I woke up and it was 4-0 USA and I was freakin' pumped up. I DVRed the game to watch later but couldn't stay away from the score. It looked like an amazingly fast pace from the Americans. Can't wait to check it out.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
Man I wish we could trade with TB for Kucherov the kid is so poised and has a great release. Do you think the Russian factor will ever go away of teams shying away from drafting them? It really is such a shame that it happens.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Man I wish we could trade with TB for Kucherov the kid is so poised and has a great release. Do you think the Russian factor will ever go away of teams shying away from drafting them? It really is such a shame that it happens.

I don't think we'd get him without dealing one of our top d prospects, unfortunately.

Grigorenko ties it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad