2013 Draft Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It's irrelevant anyway. If Matteau cracks this squad the campaign after his draft year, Nicushkin makes the team easily. Who cares if the kid would rather stay in the KHL and make bank rather than take a greyhound bus to Abbotsford for a game in the AHL?

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I'm not sweating the Nichushkin article too much.

Like someone said earlier, his combine and interviews there will give the Scouts and Lou the info they need.

This is off topic but will Matteau, Merrill and Boucher all be in Albany next year? I believe so, right?

DevilChuk*

It's irrelevant anyway. If Matteau cracks this squad the campaign after his draft year, Nicushkin makes the team easily. Who cares if the kid would rather stay in the KHL and make bank rather than take a greyhound bus to Abbotsford for a game in the AHL?

I thought the problem with Nicushkin is that he wouldn't be able to come into the NHL for another 2 years because of his KHL contract.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I thought the problem with Nicushkin is that he wouldn't be able to come into the NHL for another 2 years because of his KHL contract.

Apparently when a KHL player is traded, the player has to re-sign the contract for it to stay valid. Or they have the right to void their contract. Or something like that. I'm a little fuzzy on detail but apparently after his recent trade to Moscow there's some loophole that allows him to leave the KHL as early as this summer.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Who cares if the kid would rather stay in the KHL and make bank rather than take a greyhound bus to Abbotsford for a game in the AHL?

This.

Let the kid finish his engagement in Russia, since he has a contract in place and when it comes to a end, then you can buzz him up and ask him to come over.

I thought Lou was a man of class and viewed loyalty as a solid character sign. Wouldn't it be against his moral standards to "ditch" his KHL contract in favour of coming over to NA?

If so, seems like a one way ship when it comes to Lou's "ethic's", does it not?

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Apparently when a KHL player is traded, the player has to re-sign the contract for it to stay valid. Or they have the right to void their contract. Or something like that. I'm a little fuzzy on detail but apparently after his recent trade to Moscow there's some loophole that allows him to leave the KHL as early as this summer.

I looked it up, and you are correct.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
There's no way Lou is picking this kid. You think he's really going to let a 17 or 18 year old kid tell him that he's not going to the AHL? This is the complete opposite of a Lou Lamoriello type of player. I don't care how much talent he has, Lou would never stand for that.

I can only imagine Lou's reaction when the kid sits down for his interview and says "I only go to NHL. Why I need to go to AHL?" I think Lou might end the meeting right there just based on principle alone.

Jon Merrill's reason for not going pro last year was that he didn't want to play in the AHL, he wanted to jump directly to the NHL when he was done with college. He felt he'd have a better chance at jumping to the NHL after a year of college instead of a year in the AHL.

Most people at the time thought he was setting the bar high for himself and that it was a wise career decision, but now a 17 year old Russian says he doesn't want to go to the AHL and suddenly he's selfish and not a Lou kind of player?

The Russian double standard strikes again.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

According to some Russian posters on the "prospects board"...

Nichushkin just signed with Dynamo, two year deal. That was surprising. The deal goes threw april 2015 and there's a option for him to leave at april 2014 if he wants to cross over to NA

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
Jon Merrill's reason for not going pro last year was that he didn't want to play in the AHL, he wanted to jump directly to the NHL when he was done with college. He felt he'd have a better chance at jumping to the NHL after a year of college instead of a year in the AHL.

Most people at the time thought he was setting the bar high for himself and that it was a wise career decision, but now a 17 year old Russian says he doesn't want to go to the AHL and suddenly he's selfish and not a Lou kind of player?

The Russian double standard strikes again.

Where can I find the quote from Merrill saying that? Everything I read suggests that his coach from Michigan was the one who most strongly encouraged him to stay with his college team another season, so he decided to do that.
(Just to be clear I mean no asshatery or malice in asking. :laugh: I just feel like I missed an article or quote and would like to find it)

As for the point you were trying to make, well said.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Where can I find the quote from Merrill saying that? Everything I read suggests that his coach from Michigan was the one who most strongly encouraged him to stay with his college team another season, so he decided to do that.
(Just to be clear I mean no asshatery or malice in asking. :laugh: I just feel like I missed an article or quote and would like to find it)

As for the point you were trying to make, well said.

“Jonny talked with me this morning and indicated he’ll be coming back,†Berenson told the Detroit News today. “He definitely had some dialogue with New Jersey. Jon realized he only played half of the season and he wants to be ready when he makes the move. He wants to be competing for an NHL job when he does. He doesn’t want to be playing in the minors. I think it’s the right thing for him.â€

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...rill_headed_back_to_michigan_for_junior_year/

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
no one wants to play in the minors. You are a nutjob if you would want to do so.

He's just a russian is all. Draft the kid if he falls to us by some grace of god and let him develop overseas for a year and re-evaluate from there.

His opt-out in 2014 is designed solely with that in mind. We shouldn't be rushing them into the league anyway.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

no one wants to play in the minors. You are a nutjob if you would want to do so.

He's just a russian is all. Draft the kid if he falls to us by some grace of god and let him develop overseas for a year and re-evaluate from there.

His opt-out in 2014 is designed solely with that in mind. We shouldn't be rushing them into the league anyway.

We went from "letting our prospects take their time so they can learn the right way" to "let's slide our 18 year old prospect we just drafted a couple of months ago on our 1st line cause we didn't cover our ass if Parise were to bolt and if that doesn't work, we'll send him in the pressbox the following day".

WTF is going on with our team, seriously?

P.S. My post can be for Adam Larsson as well ;)

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
"Nichushkin just signed with Dynamo, two year deal. That was surprising. The deal goes threw april 2015 and there's a option for him to leave at april 2014 if he wants to cross over to NA "

Well that sucks. If Monahan or Lindholm are there too I'd take them over Nichushkin. I'm not one of those xenophobic dbags I just feel weird about him. Lindholm seems so safe and he could play next year as well. Hopefully he's available but I doubt it.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

We've been talking about our 1st round pick for the past weeks with little to no mention about who we should target in the 2nd round. If we're lucky and the players I want are still on the board at the time, here's a list of forwards I'd target, in no particular order...

- Jacob De La Rose (LW)
- Samuel Morin (D)
- Anthony Duclair (LW)
- Laurent Dauphin (C)
- William Carrier (C)
- Jordan Subban (D)
- Andre Burakowsky (LW)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
We've been talking about our 1st round pick for the past weeks with little to no mention about who we should target in the 2nd round. If we're lucky and the players I want are still on the board at the time, here's a list of forwards I'd target, in no particular order...

- Jacob De La Rose (LW)
- Samuel Morin (D)
- Anthony Duclair (LW)
- Laurent Dauphin (C)
- William Carrier (C)
- Jordan Subban (D)
- Andre Burakowsky (LW)

I was a little surprised when Bob McKenzie said Burakowsky/De La Rose still got a top 10 vote from one of the scouts he surveyed. Some other intriguing names for me: Artturi Lehkonen, Pavel Buchnevich, and Justin Bailey. The latter is the son of a former Buffalo Bill and has some connections with the 90s era Sabres--Off the top of my head, Mike Peca was a neighbor. So perhaps Buffalo would take him at #38 right before us at #39. But Bailey's a RW with size and some skill.

Zach Nastasiuk rocketed up Central's final rankings. Seems to project as a blue collar winger who can chip in some offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad