Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Lindholm Syndrome"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Actually, the draft will probably define what we might see out of MacT. If bold move is trading down 3-4 spots and drafting Lazar, it is going to be another half a dozen years of same old same old.

Listening to Kevin Lowe and his "We tried to trade up but it didn't work out." for his entire tenure, doesn't give me confidence going forward. MacT will have to work hard to separate himself from the establishment.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I know whats worse... no Erik Karlsson in the top 30

Neither did Gare Joyce.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3448428

Everyone had Filatov in their top 5, so it isn't that out of the question. I think Redline is one of the places that makes one or two real out there statements to generate discussion and interest.

Kind of like Pronman having the top 3 different than the rest of the free world (Drouin, McKinnon, Jones)

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I know whats worse... no Erik Karlsson in the top 30

The kid was a massive riser on draft day. Everyone had him just at the end of the first round or early second prior to the draft but had an upward trajectory. He was one of those guys that if he had an extra month could have skyrocketed up the charts. To be honest I thought Ottawa really went off the board with him at the time.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Stu on Gregors show said Barkov probably needs another year. An actual expert and somebody that has actually watched him.

So penciling him into the lineup likely isn't realistic

And other experts who have watched him said he doesn't. So take it for what's it worth...one person's opinion.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
The kid was a massive riser on draft day. Everyone had him just at the end of the first round or early second prior to the draft but had an upward trajectory. He was one of those guys that if he had an extra month could have skyrocketed up the charts. To be honest I thought Ottawa really went off the board with him at the time.

I forgot about that actually. Ottawa took a bit of a gamble but wow did it ever pay off.

Skm

May 30, 2008
Edmonton
I just have this gut feeling that Lowe will be pushing hard to take Lazar at 7 (or trade down for mediocre/useless return since we can't draft an NHL player outside of the 1st round). Let's hope MacT shows some of this "push back" we've been hearing about and hoping for.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
And other experts who have watched him said he doesn't. So take it for what's it worth...one person's opinion.

what makes Stu an expert these days? anyone can trot out 3 overall number ones. Outside of Klefbom, I would describe the cupboard as being pretty damn bare for high end prospects.

our high seconds have been less than promising - Hamilton, Pitlick, Musil...yes the jury is still out but I am not optimistic

popo

Aug 9, 2005
In this draft there seems to be 7 top end prospects

Mackinnon
Jones
Drouin
Barkov
Nichushkin
Lindholm
Monahan

Oilers have a realistic shot at the bolded guys, not picking one of them will be a mistake.

Plus the possibility that someone takes Nurse in the top six. That doesn't seem too unrealistic with Jones being the only other defenseman in that last.
Or, far less likely, would be someone in the top six making a Hickey-ish off the board reach with their pick.
So Oilers could see themselves with an option of Monahan or Nichuskin or such.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
No doubt Domi has skill, but he also takes bad penalties and misses assignments defensively. Reminds me a bit of a Prospal, lots of skill but frustrating when he's not on/using it.
As a London Knights season ticket holder, I like Horvat way more than Domi. Also, I hope Edmonton does not take Zadarov at 7, sticking with the Knights theme. Wouldn't be terribly disappointed with Horvat though.

I want Barkov, Monohan, Lindholm in that order and would be VERY happy with any of them.

It's interesting how close Lazar and Horvat seem to be. Totally an east vs. west thing going on there. I haven't seen Lazar play, but from what I have heard he sounds like he wouldn't be terrible pick either.
Knights season ticket holder eh? Tell me more about Horvat and Zadorov

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Overall, I think it's a great year to be drafting 7th. We're guaranteed a high end young defenceman, centreman, or big skilled winger.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I would take Barkov and Yakupov any day over Nichushkin and Yakupov. Barkov's first language is Russian although he speaks Finnish well.

We don't have a shot at Barkov, as I think he is 4/5th for sure.

And I just tweeted with Guy Flaming and he says there is a chance the Oilers would take Lazar at 7, as well as a chance of trading down.(Obviously to take Lazar in the 8-12 range).
puke.gif

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'm a tad worried that Monahan and Lazar are getting the Mark McNeill treatment here. A player this forum as falling all over themselves to go after a few years back that hasn't exactly shown massive improvement.

Monahan and McNeills physical measurements, stats and situations of playing on poor teams are quite similar. Lazar is smaller then either of the others and has more goal scoring on his resume but he also played on a talent stacked team.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

And I just tweeted with Guy Flaming and he says there is a chance the Oilers would take Lazar at 7, as well as a chance of trading down.(Obviously to take Lazar in the 8-12 range).
puke.gif

Yeah but is this coming from anywhere actually in the organization? We have been speculating that the Oilers might take Lazar at 7th since the end of the season.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

puke.gif

I agree that we likely have a zero shot at Barkov but there is a chance Nichushkin goes before Barkov. We likely have no chance to draft either.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I'm not buying most of the stuff all these Edmonton "insiders" report.

We are taking Lazar (which I wouldn't be upset about), just like we were taking Seguin over Hall, considering taking Larsson before RNH was consensus top player, or that we were taking Murray or moving down for Reinhart.

Safe to say they have no idea who we are taking in the end or whether we move up or down on draft day.

At best they might know guys we like, but that's about it.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Do you guys think PHX would bite on this?

To PHX: Eberle, 7th overall, Marincin
To EDM: OEL

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm a tad worried that Monahan and Lazar are getting the Mark McNeill treatment here. A player this forum as falling all over themselves to go after a few years back that hasn't exactly shown massive improvement.

Monahan and McNeills physical measurements, stats and situations of playing on poor teams are quite similar. Lazar is smaller then either of the others and has more goal scoring on his resume but he also played on a talent stacked team.

I can see where your concerns are coming from but there's a big difference between McNeill and the other two. Monahan and Lazar bring it every shift while McNeill was always known as a guy who took a lot of shifts off but was excellent when he was on.
There's a lot more consistency in Monahan and Lazar's games. They are also superior 2 way players. McNeill is more of a feast or famine type of player.

Monahan is more like Couturier in his draft year than McNeill. Similar 2 way game, not much progression offensively in their draft years (although i'm sure that mono had some effect on Couturier's numbers), very safe bets to be NHLers in some capacity and both had slight skating concerns.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I can see where your concerns are coming from but there's a big difference between McNeill and the other two. Monahan and Lazar bring it every shift while McNeill was always known as a guy who took a lot of shifts off but was excellent when he was on.
There's a lot more consistency in Monahan and Lazar's games. They are also superior 2 way players. McNeill is more of a feast or famine type of player.

Monahan is more like Couturier in his draft year than McNeill. Similar 2 way game, not much progression offensively in their draft years (although i'm sure that mono had some effect on Couturier's numbers), very safe bets to be NHLers in some capacity and both had slight skating concerns.

I don't know. A lot of the scouting reports on McNeill said he was a hard worker and two way player with great physical tools and grit who played on a limited team and thus had more offense than the numbers told but if his offense didn't translate would be a sure bet as a good #3 C. The doubts if I remember correctly was hockey sense and playmaking ability.

I feel the number one rule in trying to scout hockey players is to recognize and go after hockey IQ. The busts always seem to be the guys with a lack of hockey sense.
Obviously too early to say McNeill is a bust just a general thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad