2013 D-Core Overhaul

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
McKenzie said something earlier today that Marc has been working on adapting to the limited vision he now has in that eye. How bad was the damage? NO wonder the brothers put on shields. That's nearly a career ender. Ask Paul Maurice.

He can probably have some kind of surgery in the offseason to correct it, if it doesn't completely clear up.

Doesn't have to be a career-threatening thing even if he never fully recovers though. A guy from my hometown plays baseball in the Pirates organization, he was hit by a pitch and is now legally blind in his left eye. Still hit .321 in double A last year. He said you just get used to it.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
I believe this to be the case but can someone verify.....Gleason has a NTC and Ruutu has a NMC. Those guys arent getting dealt if this is the case. Which only really allows Pitkanen or Skinner to be the big pieces in a deal. So to me its more likely that JR gives up a bevy of smaller assets to acquire what he wants whether thats Rask or Dalpe or McBain or picks in the following draft. Then we can all go crazy on another 3 for 1 deal

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I believe this to be the case but can someone verify.....Gleason has a NTC and Ruutu has a NMC. Those guys arent getting dealt if this is the case. Which only really allows Pitkanen or Skinner to be the big pieces in a deal. So to me its more likely that JR gives up a bevy of smaller assets to acquire what he wants whether thats Rask or Dalpe or McBain or picks in the following draft. Then we can all go crazy on another 3 for 1 deal

I'm pretty sure that's correct. IIRC, A full NMC for Ruutu and a full NTC, but only for 2 years (last year and this upcoming year) for Gleason. I also think JR wont' deal Skinner but wouldn't have any problem moving Pitkanen, except his value is pretty low right now due his injuries so that leaves draft picks and guys like the ones you mention.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
NTC's and NMC's aren't death knells for trades. They're mostly insurance against being traded to a place the player doesn't want to go. It may limit our options, but few players will enact a full trade embargo against the front office because most of the time, if you aren't wanted you don't want to be there. It simply gives the player more leverage to control his situation if he's traded. Hardly a reason to consider a player untouchable. And let's face it, if we can strike a deal with a team that perennially makes the playoffs both of those guys would be insane to stay here.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012

Been mentioned before, the Canes can't afford to give up any more cheap talent for big salaries. It isn't happening.

In an ideal world they could amnesty buyout Ruutu and/or Gleason as they are both overpaid but they can't afford that either.

Only move I see them making, which would be insanely unlikely, is moving Skinner for a top pairing D. Other than McBain being shipped off for peanuts at the Draft (maybe a 2nd).

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
People keep saying McBain's name like he has trade value. If we got a 4th for him, I'd be stunned.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
People keep saying McBain's name like he has trade value. If we got a 4th for him, I'd be stunned.

Right-handed PMD's are like left-handed relief pitchers. If he has a pulse, he has trade value. Maybe more like a low 2nd-high 3rd or an add-in, but he's definitely worth something.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

I think he has value, because he has shown competence when paired with the right partner before; because his main issue is probably the most fixable problem a hockey player can have; and because he is making 1.2 million next year.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Been mentioned before, the Canes can't afford to give up any more cheap talent for big salaries. It isn't happening.

In an ideal world they could amnesty buyout Ruutu and/or Gleason as they are both overpaid but they can't afford that either.

Only move I see them making, which would be insanely unlikely, is moving Skinner for a top pairing D. Other than McBain being shipped off for peanuts at the Draft (maybe a 2nd).

We arent talking about acquiring a big name guy but a mid level guy to make the team harder to play against. New defensmen will have to be added regardless.......we only have 4 plus Murphy. IMO there is no reason to believe McBain, Sangs, Corvo, or MAB will be back. The free agent market isnt ideal and we know JR doesnt like paying UFA prices. Its far more likley we backfill the D via at least one trade and we will have some money to spend.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
We arent talking about acquiring a big name guy but a mid level guy to make the team harder to play against. New defensmen will have to be added regardless.......we only have 4 plus Murphy. IMO there is no reason to believe McBain, Sangs, Corvo, or MAB will be back. The free agent market isnt ideal and we know JR doesnt like paying UFA prices. Its far more likley we backfill the D via at least one trade and we will have some money to spend.

Still, trading Rask and/or Dalpe is a silly move. If both of these guys can put it together and be great offensive 3rd line weapons over the next 2-3 years the Canes have vital pieces of what a Cup team is made out of: Cheap, young talent that is hard to compete against in the bottom-6 (see: every Cup team since the lockout).

The UFA class isn't flashy but has the pieces the Canes need. Solid, safe, mid range D. Hainsey, Lydman, Regehr, Zidlicky, Scuderi, and Leopold are all good examples.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think he has value, because he has shown competence when paired with the right partner before; because his main issue is probably the most fixable problem a hockey player can have; and because he is making 1.2 million next year.

If not being good at defense was a fixable problem, we wouldn't be in nearly as much trouble every year. He's 25 now, and developing Mark Sanchez style.

Robo says we'll get a low 2nd or 3rd, but you think JR would have passed on a low 2nd/3rd at the deadline? Guess this is a 'we'll see' situation.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Faulk-Gleason
Scuderi-Pitkanen
Harrison-Murray
Corvo just because he is cheap...honestly $1m for him is a good deal...maybe 850k

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Faulk-Gleason
Scuderi-Pitkanen
Harrison-Murray
Corvo just because he is cheap...honestly $1m for him is a good deal...maybe 850k

Murphy will be on the team next year. No way Corvo signs for $1 million.

Faulk - Pitkanen
Gleason - Hainsey
Harrison - Murphy
O'Byrne

My ideal D.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Yeah, I wasn't complaining about deal for J. Staal. We won't know for a few years how the deal plays out, but the Canes definitely got the best player in the deal and given how much of a mess this team was this year (new coach, lots of new personnel, key injuries etc..), I'll give it a few years.

As natural as it is to be impatient and unless very lucky somehow, it WILL take years. I guess the question is, years for what? What are the expectations of the organization and fans? How long will the fans continue to support them? A respectable showing, making the playoffs, winning a round, a deep run or the finals? It seems to me that the fans have been very patient. Right now everything seems so huge and uncertain. Which I suppose of course it would be for any club and fan base. I think they have to be very aggressive and some would say they have been. It must be extremely difficult being a small market franchise.

If it means anything I can tell you this. In Western Canada, the Hurricanes receive virtually zero media coverage. And I mean almost completely ignored. There has not been one televised game and there have been multiple games almost daily this year. There are hardly any game highlights during other games or the day after. The Staals or Semin are not talked about. Noone knows who Tlusty or Skinner, etc. are. The Carolina Hurricanes don't exist to people except to some fans who just see them as being some crappy team in the NHL. The only other teams that are treated and seen as such are perhaps Florida and maybe Tampa Bay. Seriously, I can't think of any team that is so utterly ignored and unknown. The biggest hockey stores don't carry much for Cane's paraphenalia. All this must have an impact.

Caniac125330

Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
I'd deal McBain for whatever we can get, and sign Scuderi.
Gleason-Faulk
Scuderi-Pitkanen
Harrison-Murphy
Fairly solid, especially with a healthy (god willing) Ward behind them.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Still, trading Rask and/or Dalpe is a silly move. If both of these guys can put it together and be great offensive 3rd line weapons over the next 2-3 years the Canes have vital pieces of what a Cup team is made out of: Cheap, young talent that is hard to compete against in the bottom-6 (see: every Cup team since the lockout).

The UFA class isn't flashy but has the pieces the Canes need. Solid, safe, mid range D. Hainsey, Lydman, Regehr, Zidlicky, Scuderi, and Leopold are all good examples.

Trading Dalpe or Rask isnt a silly move if you are getting a young dman back that could grow into a top 4 guy. Your scouts need to be able to identify the right player to target. A couple of years ago Ladislav Smid could have been had for a prospect like Rask or Dalpe. Heck at that time you might have gotten him for less than Rask as he was struggling mightly. Now he has developed his game and grown as a player as is a really solid player on an Edmonton D that is thin. Keeping Rask and Dalpe to be "great offensive 3rd line weapons" is not what cups are made of. A solid D is worth more than 3rd line scoring. now, Im not saying trade them for anything you can get... but if you locate a young guy you believe is going to be good, you should deal the young forwards who have proven virtually nothing at the NHL level

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If it means anything I can tell you this. In Western Canada, the Hurricanes receive virtually zero media coverage. And I mean almost completely ignored. There has not been one televised game and there have been multiple games almost daily this year. There are hardly any game highlights during other games or the day after. The Staals or Semin are not talked about. Noone knows who Tlusty or Skinner, etc. are. The Carolina Hurricanes don't exist to people except to some fans who just see them as being some crappy team in the NHL. The only other teams that are treated and seen as such are perhaps Florida and maybe Tampa Bay. Seriously, I can't think of any team that is so utterly ignored and unknown. The biggest hockey stores don't carry much for Cane's paraphenalia. All this must have an impact.

And if it means anything, I can tell you this. In North and South Carolina, the Flames and Oilers receive virtually zero media coverage. And I mean almost completely ignored. There has not been one televised game (outside a token late NBCSN game) and there have been multiple games almost daily this year. There are hardly any games highlights during other games or the day after. The Iginlas, Giordanos, Bouwmeesters are not talked about. No one knows who Hall or Yakopov, etc. are. The Flames and Oilers don't exist to people except for some fans who just see them as being some crappy team in the NHL. The only other teams that are treated and seen as such are perhaps Winnipeg. Seriously, I can't think of any team that is so utterly ignored and unknown. The stores don't even care much Flames and Oilers paraphernalia. All of this must have an impact.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
And if it means anything, I can tell you this. In North and South Carolina, the Flames and Oilers receive virtually zero media coverage. And I mean almost completely ignored. There has not been one televised game (outside a token late NBCSN game) and there have been multiple games almost daily this year. There are hardly any games highlights during other games or the day after. The Iginlas, Giordanos, Bouwmeesters are not talked about. No one knows who Hall or Yakopov, etc. are. The Flames and Oilers don't exist to people except for some fans who just see them as being some crappy team in the NHL. The only other teams that are treated and seen as such are perhaps Winnipeg. Seriously, I can't think of any team that is so utterly ignored and unknown. The stores don't even care much Flames and Oilers paraphernalia. All of this must have an impact.

Are you just being sarcastic or did you really misinterpret my post? I did not bring it up for any other reason than to simply point out the reality and that it can't be good for Carolina. I wish it wasn't so. And, I am certainly no fan of Edm. or Cal.. :)

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Yes, it's almost a virtual certainty that Murphy and his ELC will be part of next season's D corps. To me that means Jay "the Mentor" Harrison and Murphy on the 3rd pair.

Though a Scuderi or Hainsey might be good adds to the top 4, they aren't the kind of physical players the D needs. I don't see how an upgrade can work for the right kind of guy without moving Pitkanen's salary. Otherwise, it's hello again Andrew Alberts or something along those lines.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Are you just being sarcastic or did you really misinterpret my post?

I don't know what you mean rocky. I was just simply pointing out a reality about those teams from Western Canada and that it can't be good for them.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yes, it's almost a virtual certainty that Murphy and his ELC will be part of next season's D corps. To me that means Jay "the Mentor" Harrison and Murphy on the 3rd pair.

Though a Scuderi or Hainsey might be good adds to the top 4, they aren't the kind of physical players the D needs. I don't see how an upgrade can work for the right kind of guy without moving Pitkanen's salary. Otherwise, it's hello again Andrew Alberts or something along those lines.

Didn't someone post that JR mentioned Komisarek in some news conference?

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

I almost responded with this exact same post

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Nobody in Canada even knows who the Staals are, guys! We are in so much trouble!

Just saw the numbers on Hurricanes STH living in Alberta, and the numbers are not good. Not good at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad