2013 D-Core Overhaul

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McLirium

Feb 18, 2013
DC by way of Raleigh
If he is willing to take another two-way deal in the $1 million range it's a no-brainer to sign him. Murphy is too much of an unknown.
Right. I don't get why there is so much Bergeron hate as if he has nothing to contribute to our team. I get it, he's not a top tier defenseman. I think Murphy is going to be an outstanding player, but if we're planning on using him a lot on the PP in his first real season then I can't help but feel somewhat pessimistic for man advantages.

Again, a lot should/will be determined on what sort of contract he's willing to sign.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/charging_up_90kb3Zz6jCBwBONMfCQuFI

Check out the comment about M. Staal. I know Larry Brooks isn’t Bob McKenzie, but it’s interesting nonetheless. The Rangers are currently and probably will be in cup contention over the next two seasons, but I don't think they can afford to let a player of M. Staal’s caliber go to a division rival long-term for nothing in return. With Carolina having such a valuable pick in the upcoming draft, is this offseason the right time for a M. Staal trade?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The only trade I'd entertain is #5 for Marc. And even then, with him coming off such a tough injury, I'm not sure. Maybe toss in McBain, but that'd be it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As much as he'd be a boon for this defense, I wouldn't do the Marc for #5 trade right now. To me the two options are:
1 - let this **** ride for next season by bringing in some cheap help, and making the move next offseason once the cap is back in a more appropriate range, or
2 - wait it out. We've already shown that this org isn't afraid to bust out the Staal show, and we're the only game available in that regard. If this is a family thing, and JR would have one hell of an insight into that given what we know of that family. If it is the case, there's no need at all to make a move.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If they wait until next offseason, I think you run into the same problems. Pitkanen comes off the board, but Marc makes 600k less. Bowman, Westgarth, Blanchard and Peters are the only ones whose deals are up, and they only amount to about 2.2M. McBain (if he's still here), Faulk and Tlusty are all due new deals.

If they make a play for Marc now, they've got him and Pitkanen in the lineup at the same time. If they wait until next year, you're just filling a new hole.

EDIT: Just saw you meant the cap would go up, Dave. In that case you're right there'd be more room, but do we think they'll spend to the cap, even with the new investors and TV deals and such? For Marc they probably would I suppose.

Also, I think the Rangers would be more apt to deal Marc this offseason than next. No real reasoning behind it, just a gut feeling.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/charging_up_90kb3Zz6jCBwBONMfCQuFI

Check out the comment about M. Staal. I know Larry Brooks isn’t Bob McKenzie, but it’s interesting nonetheless. The Rangers are currently and probably will be in cup contention over the next two seasons, but I don't think they can afford to let a player of M. Staal’s caliber go to a division rival long-term for nothing in return. With Carolina having such a valuable pick in the upcoming draft, is this offseason the right time for a M. Staal trade?

Brooks is the worst. Garrioch is downright reliable by comparison. Not that he's saying much here.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
This D core needs to change completely! So does the team make up!

What I propose:

FWD...3 balanced scoring lines and more size with Clowe
Jiri Tlusty ($1.600m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Ryane Clowe ($3.625m)
Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / Riley Nash ($0.735m) / 5TH OVERALL PICK FWD
Nicolas Blanchard ($0.538m) /Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m) / Drayson Bowman ($0.600m) /
Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m) /
DEFENSEMEN...revamped completely
Justin Faulk ($0.900m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Grant Clitsome ($1.250m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
Andrew Ference ($2.500m) / Jay Harrison ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Cam Ward ($6.300m)
Justin Peters ($0.538m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,960,000; BONUSES: $10,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $3,350,000

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Someone on the Rangers board mentioned Rask + 2nd for Marc? Not too Bad.

Faulk
Marc
Gleason
Pitkänen

As the top four with Harrison//Murphy as the 3rd pairing

And still leaves us with MAB as the 7th and McBain in limbo somewhere.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Or just be patient, and get him for nothing more than a contract!

we're in agreement on this one. About the only thing that can keep Marc from playing here if he wants to play with his brothers is the Rangers offering him a contract worth a heck of a lot more then he is as a player. With their spending habits they're going to have to really juggle things around to keep him, and we all know that Sather can't resist going out there to get the next shiny new toy that hits the market every offseason whether via UFA or trade.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I may have missed it, but in all the talk about needing a physical D and veteran leadership there is one name that used to come up all the time hasn't really surfaced recently - Bieksa.

He'd be pricey and makes some serious $ but is on a declining contract. It'd require moving Pitkanen to afford him - not suggesting Vancouver would want him and might be two separate deals - but it'd be something I'd give strong consideration.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Someone on the Rangers board mentioned Rask + 2nd for Marc? Not too Bad.

Must not have been a ranger fan. It seems that the consensus from most fans was that they wanted Skinner or Faulk + 1st + good prospect (Rask). Absolutely insane, especially considering his current health.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Must not have been a ranger fan. It seems that the consensus from most fans was that they wanted Skinner or Faulk + 1st + good prospect (Rask). Absolutely insane, especially considering his current health.
Yep, and when it comes to their Staal, the overvaluations (and misperceptions) are reminiscent of Pens fans and Jordan Staal.

If JR trades this pick too, then I completely give up on this team until he is long gone.
I don't think he can afford to do it two years running, either literally or figuratively.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If JR trades this pick too, then I completely give up on this team until he is long gone.

I don't think they will. Given the comments he's made about the scouting staff thinking there are 6 elite level talents in this draft, I really can't see them giving up the #5 pick for anything. Next years first will probably be on the table, but this years? just can't see it.

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
There is literally no reason to get rid of Pitkanen.

There is if you get the right value...

No matter what, I don't want to see Sangs or Corvo.. no ****ing way... The only one that I really care is back is Faulk... I wish we could scrap everyone but Faulk and Murphy and pick up nice intelligent positional D men, but since that isn't really possible, I don't know where to start, I just know that if we don't replace half our D, then it will likely be the same ole same ole

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
was talking to some Canucks fans yesterday, one of them suggested Edler for McBain and our 1st next year.

I think I'd jump on that.

I certainly would. Get a legit top-pairing defenseman for a guy who's probably on his way out and a 1st round pick? Sounds good, especially since Edler's cap hit is only 5 million starting next year, and his salary never goes above 6 million.

We would probably have to shed some other salary/cap hit elsewhere, though. That, or use a kid-friendly lineup based off of ELCs and low-money contracts.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yep, and when it comes to their Staal, the overvaluations (and misperceptions) are reminiscent of Pens fans and Jordan Staal.

But in the end, weren't the Pens fans right? I mean for basically 48 games of Jordan Staal, they got a 1st (#8 pick), a former 1st and good young roster player (Sutter) and a good prospect (Dumoulin). That's a pretty good return for a guy who they were going to lose at the end of this season.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Somehow Marc Staal will inevitably be wearing a Hurricanes jersey soon enough. As far as Bergeron returning, beggars can't be choosers. There just isn't much in the system and with money tight, obtaining quality will be difficult with so many spots to fill. Murphy and Rask are likely. Pitkanen should go.

This will be at least a three year project to get close to competitive. First round playoffs may be possible sooner and I suppose that would be a giant improvement.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
But in the end, weren't the Pens fans right? I mean for basically 48 games of Jordan Staal, they got a 1st (#8 pick), a former 1st and good young roster player (Sutter) and a good prospect (Dumoulin). That's a pretty good return for a guy who they were going to lose at the end of this season.
I was talking more about how they over-hyped their Staal, based on incorrect perceptions, to help justify an overpayment. Rangers fans currently and Pens fans previously both have used misinformation (shocker, I know) about the roles their guys play or played.

As for the Pens' return, it was an excellent return and clear overpayment by the Canes. I never liked the deal and I like it even less. At least it didn't include Faulk or Skinner as many Pens fans insisted it would need to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad