Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part II* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 1/31)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Everything about playing style aside this honestly is what's cool about getting more black players into the league, so you have other young black players who identify with them and try to model their game after them, etc.

Except that's not the case here, not that I'm aware of at least.

He really does model his game after Kane. If he fights and hits more, then he's a smaller clone of Kane.

I understand that physicality is a big part of a player's game, and despite his moderate physicality, Duclair is best compared to Kane.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I go to check the score of the Kootenay - Calgary game, and Calgary's goalie was credited with a goal.

Don't know how that happened but, okay.

Anyway, Calgary up 2-0. Kinda to be expected, one of the top teams in the league.

Tambellini has no points so far.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Bfa67SBIAAAa6Zh.jpg

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, when Thomas was done in the OHL I stopped with that league for good.

He's got a hell of a shot, I hope he succeeds, even if he plays for the Habs :laugh:.

He got crushed by a hit in a game against the Blues, didn't he?

He got nailed by someone pretty bad in the 2nd game of the tournament.

Later on Brayden McNabb absolutely crushed him as well.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
So nobody answered my question about the duke. Can he hit or not? Where will he play next season?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
So nobody answered my question about the duke. Can he hit or not? Where will he play next season?

Hitting isn't a stand out part of his game, but he wont shy away from contact, and he'll hit if he has to.

He'll probably go back to the Q for one more year. I'd rather he go to the AHL, but he doesn't have that option.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hitting isn't a stand out part of his game, but he wont shy away from contact, and he'll hit if he has to.

He'll probably go back to the Q for one more year. I'd rather he go to the AHL, but he doesn't have that option.

The good thing about him is that he doesn't avoid the dirty areas.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
How does his shot compare to Gabby's? I'm guessing not as good as Gabby's was ultra elite for a while.

Not that comparable. Gaborik has one of the best snap shots in the league. Duclair has a really good shot, but comparing it to Gaborik's is being unreasonable. It's definitely an asset, though.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Is Carl Hagelin somewhat of a fair comparison?
No, Duclair is a much better offensive prospect (so far in his development).
Not that comparable. Gaborik has one of the best snap shots in the league. Duclair has a really good shot, but comparing it to Gaborik's is being unreasonable. It's definitely an asset, though.

You watch him more than I do, but based on my limited viewings, I'd say his best asset is simply how dynamic he is on the ice. Which is to say it's not just one asset (like Christian Thomas's shot), but rather it's a combination of elite speed with good dangle, good shot and an aggressive nose for the net.

He is definitely a player to be excited about.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Is Carl Hagelin somewhat of a fair comparison?

Not really, Hagelin isn't very talented at all. Though they have the same puck retrieval skills, and they're both quite fast. Even if Duclair was to have his offense badly translate to the NHL, he still has a skill set for the 3rd line. So I guess he's comparable to Hagelin in that sense.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
You watch him more than I do, but based on my limited viewings, I'd say his best asset is simply how dynamic he is on the ice. Which is to say it's not just one asset (like Christian Thomas's shot), but rather it's a combination of elite speed with good dangle, good shot and an aggressive nose for the net.

He is definitely a player to be excited about.

Pretty much nailed it with the bolded.

Just one thing though, don't let his assist totals fool you. He's not a playmaker. He's a dynamic goal scorer, but he doesn't have the on ice vision to be able to consistently find open teammates.

He's also not the best stick handler, but it isn't a handicap either. He can protect the puck pretty well, and can carry it through traffic, but he's not going to drag it between legs, or deke through 4 defenders like Nash or Jagr. Duclair, again, like Kane, is best suited driving the net and going straight for the goal. Nothing overly fancy.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Not really, Hagelin isn't very talented at all. Though they have the same puck retrieval skills, and they're both quite fast. Even if Duclair was to have his offense badly translate to the NHL, he still has a skill set for the 3rd line. So I guess he's comparable to Hagelin in that sense.

Yeah, essentially what I meant

Good skater, not afraid of contact, goes into dirty areas

but, with more skill

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hagelin is perfectly talented offensively, he has simply been molded into more of a jitterbug player.

He could change his game and add a few points, I just think he's quite valueable playing the game he is right now. This is a guy that is experiencing his first season averaging less than .5 ppg, and all of a sudden we're Dubinsky'ing him.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Who is the better prospect Kreider or Duclair? I know it's unfair to Duclair because we've seen Kreider at the NHL level.

Kreider and it's not really close.

As of now, in my opinion:

Shot- Kreider>Duclair

Speed- Kreider>Duclair

On ice vision/Passing- Kreider>Duclair

Physicalty- Kreider>>Duclair

Stickhandling- Duclair>Kreider

Dirty Work- Kreider≥Duclair

Agility- Duclair>>Kreider

Of course, no one has seen Duclair at the professional level at all. So these could of course change. And he's still a work in progress.

You'd be better off asking this question after next year.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Hagelin is perfectly talented offensively, he has simply been molded into more of a jitterbug player.

He could change his game and add a few points, I just think he's quite valueable playing the game he is right now. This is a guy that is experiencing his first season averaging less than .5 ppg, and all of a sudden we're Dubinsky'ing him.

Nobody is Dubinsky'ing him? He's just not that talented offensively.

He's great at driving the play, puck possession, getting in on the forecheck, etc.

He's still quite important to this team.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Yeah, essentially what I meant

Good skater, not afraid of contact, goes into dirty areas

but, with more skill

He does a lot of things better than Hagelin currently, but the core of their games are similar, you're right.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Shot- Kreider>Duclair

Skating- Duclair>>Kreider

Of course, no one has seen Duclair at the professional level at all. So these could of course change. And he's still a work in progress.

Kreider, at least this year has scored only a handful of his goals with his shot. I honestly can't remember one outside of the first goal against the Canucks. He had one against Dallas in the first game but it was deflected. I still don't know why people say he has a great shot. Most of his goals are dirty goals, nothing wrong with that but his shot has been mediocre. In previous seasons he scored a goal on a VERY nice shot against NJ and on a nice shot that Holtby should have had. Still mostly scored deflections and stuff.

Bardof425*

Shot- Kreider>Duclair

Skating- Duclair>>Kreider

Duclair is a much better skater than Kreider?? If so he should be in the NHL right now. I don't care how old he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad