2013-2014 Columbus Blue Jackets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If Edmonton has taught us anything, it's that you don't get rid of all your veterans with such a youth laden roster.

If Vinny wants to come back, you welcome him with open arms and maybe give him a break now and then.

If Aucoin wants to come back, you either find someone else that will clear bodies out in front of the net that's faster or you welcome him back.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I said it before I'll say it again. Despite Prospal's good production, his locker room presence alone is worth 2.5 million. Keep at all costs.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Edmonton has taught us anything, it's that you don't get rid of all your veterans with such a youth laden roster.

If Vinny wants to come back, you welcome him with open arms and maybe give him a break now and then.

If Aucoin wants to come back, you either find someone else that will clear bodies out in front of the net that's faster or you welcome him back.

How about we offer Aucoin a Coaching Assistantship and hope he takes it? I'd pay for his leadership, but unlike Prospal, we don't benefit with having Aucoin as a player.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Yeah, I think Edmonton is the relevant model here. It's not fantasy hockey- which is not to imply that Vinny's numbers would be out of place on a fantasy team (Unless they would, revealing my fantasy ignorance/ambivalence)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
How about we offer Aucoin a Coaching Assistantship and hope he takes it? I'd pay for his leadership, but unlike Prospal, we don't benefit with having Aucoin as a player.

The coaching staff seems to disagree with you. He's bringing something. As fans we tent to be pretty damn hard on players once we get it in our minds that we think they suck. This list here is pretty long. I don't see too many people change their opinion as time goes on, like I did with Manny. It really doesn't matter what Aucoin does, a certainly percentage of our fans will continue to beat him up.

He did what he was asked to. He did what I thought he would do. The only reason I am hedging on bringing him back is that we have players that earned a spot and I would like to see them in the lineup. Now if we move one of our big four, I really have no issue with Aucoin coming back.

For me, this isn't about Aucoin. It's about who is nipping at his heels.

Prospal? No idea why he wouldn't be back.

Probably the biggest question/decision for the Jackets. RJ. I guess JD even said we need more production from him. That is valid for his salary. He does other things pretty well, but he needs to put in the puck in the net with some consistency.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
The coaching staff seems to disagree with you. He's bringing something. As fans we tent to be pretty damn hard on players once we get it in our minds that we think they suck. This list here is pretty long. I don't see too many people change their opinion as time goes on, like I did with Manny. It really doesn't matter what Aucoin does, a certainly percentage of our fans will continue to beat him up.

He did what he was asked to. He did what I thought he would do. The only reason I am hedging on bringing him back is that we have players that earned a spot and I would like to see them in the lineup. Now if we move one of our big four, I really have no issue with Aucoin coming back.

If you earn ice time you get ice time.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If you earn ice time you get ice time.

Not sure what you meant by this in the context of what I wrote, but I will say that Erixon earned ice time and had a hard time getting back in coming off injury. So your statement isn't always accurate. We had a log jam on defense that was mostly resolved via injuries. Going in with the same seven next year could create developmental or locker room problems.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Not sure what you meant by this in the context of what I wrote, but I will say that Erixon earned ice time and had a hard time getting back in coming off injury. So your statement isn't always accurate. We had a log jam on defense that was mostly resolved via injuries. Going in with the same seven next year could create developmental or locker room problems.

It was meant to agree with you, it isn't about Aucoin it's about who's behind him. Probably a poor choice of words, and you're right there are times when there is simply not enough ice time to go around even when it's earned.

I don't think Aucoin is coming back. But, if he does, and continues the mentor/player role, then I think someone gets traded. Depth is one thing, it is necessary, but there is also such a thing as an over abundance. It may be a roster player or it may be a prospect for prospect, Goloubef/Savard for a equivalent offensive tweener.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
...We had a log jam on defense that was mostly resolved via injuries. Going in with the same seven next year could create developmental or locker room problems.

I don't expect the same seven, next year, simply because I think Murray will push for time on the big team. Potentially:

Tyutin - JJ
Nikitin - Prout
Wiz - Erixon
Aucoin - Murray

If Murray is not ready, then I'm willing to assume AA will relinquish his regular spot to either Prout or Erixon and become the #7. It is if/when Murray is ready that a decision on Aucoin's future will have to be made. Should not the other vets on defense be prepared, now, to mentor the young guys? Are not Prout and Erixon now young vets, rather than untested prospects (I realize this was not a full season)? All of this blather could be moot as a result of injuries or trade, of course, but what else is here for us to argue?

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
Roster
UFA's
Prospal - 12-13 = 2.5 mil
Aucoin - 12-13 = 2 mil
Comeau - 12-13 = 1.25 mil
Leighton - 12-13 = $900,000
Drazenvoic - 12-13 = $600,000

RFA's
Bobrovsky - 12-13 = $900,000
Anisimov - 12-13 = 1.875 mil
Gillies - 12-13 = $650,000

Non-Rosters
UFA's
McElhinney
Russel
Ford
Joudrey
Holden

RFA's
York
Savard
Ruth
Goloubef
Delisle
Bass
Machacek
Killeen
Parlett

Absolutely no reason to not bring Vinny back. Leadership, intangibles, points. As long as the package is all there, keep him around. (Plus, I didn't realize Tampa had bought him out.)

Bob and Arty come back for obvious reasons.

Comeau might be worth another look on the cheap as he's a slightly better Gillies at worst, with 40 point potential at best.

I agree with Leighton coming back as the backup if there's no equal or greater backup option to duke it out with McElhinney (who seems like a great AHL starter/3rd string goalie) for that spot.

Aucoin wasn't that flashy this year and could be kept in a mentor role or let walk.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I'm talking about next season not history but I'll play.

In a successful 2013-14 campaign which of these "not there yets" will be outscored by Vinny?:

Calvert
Cam
Gabby
Test Tube
Foligno

He won't outscore Arty, Duby or Johan either but they are centers.

I'm hoping for a new top 6 wing in the off season. If we get one, he goes in the top list.

The 3rd and 4th lines are out because he's not a fore checker, a checker for that matter, a defender or a banger.

I appreciate Vinny and his contributions but it's time for a limited if not off ice role for far less pay.

why, exactly, does he have to outscore these guys to be valuable? Is it not ok that he plays the right way, gets people the puck in good situations or is a positive influence in the locker room?

The game is about more than 'points.' The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Sorry man, the Vinny is well worth 2.5. You're not having any trouble with the cap or paying who you have to pay before he retires in 1-2 seasons, so what are you saving it for? What kind of message does it send to the young guys to not resign a guy for basically peanuts when he's still contributing and so obviously valuable in several facets of the organization? :shakehead

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
I don't expect the same seven, next year, simply because I think Murray will push for time on the big team. Potentially:

Tyutin - JJ
Nikitin - Prout
Wiz - Erixon
Aucoin - Murray

If Murray is not ready, then I'm willing to assume AA will relinquish his regular spot to either Prout or Erixon and become the #7. It is if/when Murray is ready that a decision on Aucoin's future will have to be made. Should not the other vets on defense be prepared, now, to mentor the young guys? Are not Prout and Erixon now young vets, rather than untested prospects (I realize this was not a full season)? All of this blather could be moot as a result of injuries or trade, of course, but what else is here for us to argue?

My take is that keeping Aucoin is smart for two reasons. Firstly there is the argument about his ability to mentor the young guns. Secondly, it opens up the possibility of trading Nikitin if management are happy that all of the younger dmen are not one season wonders.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm OK with both Prospal and Aucoin coming back. I think Vinny contributes on and off the ice to where it's an easier decision to make to keep him. As for Aucoin, he was decent but if bringing him back means Erixon or Prout loses a spot in the top 6, then I'm not for it. I think both earned a role on this team within the top 6. Granted they have to earn it again in camp as they don't have the leash the others do but unless one of the other 4 vets is being moved, I don't want to sacrifice either of those two young guys for the "benefits" of having Aucoin in the top 6 (If he's our #7, fine).

Granted this also means that Murray is likely to start the year in Springfield. That's OK with me too as long as he's on the CBJ. As for the 4 vets in the top 6, I can make arguments for all of them as valuable. Unfortunately Wiz is the CBJ equivalent to Hemsky and Nikitin has started to pile up the injuries too. Tyutin was top notch this year and I think JJ really improved his 2-way play and logged a ton of minutes. They all could offer value (high value in some cases) in a trade but Nikitin may make the most sense based on skill set, contract (UFA after next year) and age (still young).

It will be another interesting off season. Changes will be made and they may not be who we expect or think....

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
There will nee to be more changes than Aucoin moving on to persuade me that is a real possibility.

Why would you need to be persuaded that it is a possibility? Of course it's possible, the question might be how probable is it. Is that the distinction you're drawing by the modifier "real"? Opinions obviously vary on that issue and it won't be resolved until the team takes the ice, next season. Even should Aucoin not be resigned, Murray would still have to beat out one of the current roster defensemen and/or a veteran replacement for him. That would be the "push" to which I referred.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Prospal? No idea why he wouldn't be back.

Probably the biggest question/decision for the Jackets. RJ. I guess JD even said we need more production from him. That is valid for his salary. He does other things pretty well, but he needs to put in the puck in the net with some consistency.

I don't entirely disagree, Aucoin's play seemed to me to be about average for a third-pair guy, and he's a leader. My concern is that I don't want him to be taking a spot from Erixon or Prout, or Murray if Murray shows himself to be too good for the AHL. That's why I'd want Aucoin as a coach.

I'd also think that anything over $1 Million for Aucoin is overpayment, even if other defencemen are traded and we have a real need for him as a player.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Absolutely no reason to not bring Vinny back. Leadership, intangibles, points. As long as the package is all there, keep him around. (Plus, I didn't realize Tampa had bought him out.)

Bob and Arty come back for obvious reasons.

Comeau might be worth another look on the cheap as he's a slightly better Gillies at worst, with 40 point potential at best.

I agree with Leighton coming back as the backup if there's no equal or greater backup option to duke it out with McElhinney (who seems like a great AHL starter/3rd string goalie) for that spot.

Aucoin wasn't that flashy this year and could be kept in a mentor role or let walk.

Not to pick on your post but I've seen this a couple times and wanted to comment on it.

I do not support this theory one iota. No way I want to go into next season with an inexperienced backup goalie. That was tried with a guy named Dekanich and where did that get us.

If god forbid somehow Bob was out for a while are we ready to ride McElhinney or Leighton to the promised land until Bob got back. No thanks.

Jarmo needs to find a cheap backup with NHL experience. Don't know if Leighton meets the level of quality I want. And no offense but McElhinney definately does not fit.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Jarmo needs to find a cheap backup with NHL experience. Don't know if Leighton meets the level of quality I want. And no offense but McElhinney definately does not fit.

I'm not so sure about that. Remember Clark was working in Springfield as well as Columbus. And he did have one heck of a year. I'm not sure he is the answer either I'm just not quite as quick to dismiss the possibility.

Going thru the list of UFA goalies there is not much after you eliminate the guys that will be resigned.

Going to be an interesting summer that's for sure. My guess is we won't run out of things to "discuss".

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not to pick on your post but I've seen this a couple times and wanted to comment on it.

I do not support this theory one iota. No way I want to go into next season with an inexperienced backup goalie. That was tried with a guy named Dekanich and where did that get us.

If god forbid somehow Bob was out for a while are we ready to ride McElhinney or Leighton to the promised land until Bob got back. No thanks.

Both Leighton and McIlhenny have NHL experience. 106 and 69 games respectively. Leighton backstopped the Flyer to the playoffs a couple years back - where he promptly imploded.

I think I agree, though, with your larger point, that neither of these guys is what Jarmo SHOULD BE targeting as a backup. That said, the pickins are mighty slim. I see two names that seem to me as legit possibilites - and honestly, I have no idea how legit they are - before you get into names like LaBarbera, Garon and Mason, and I don't knw that those guys are better than Leighton or McElhinney.

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
I want Vinny back. I know sooner or later the wheels will fall off, but his spirit and leadership are needed in the clubhouse and on the ice. Same with Aucoin for the same reasons. Comeau is also welcome if doesn't overprice himself. and of course we need Arty and Bob.

Unless they absolutely seize their job Jenner and Murray start the season in Springfield. Murray's an incredible talent but he hasn't played for a year and only in juniors (and some big tournaments). Let him find his legs and his game in a lower pressure environment. It's not like our blue line sucks and we need help to win. Same with Jenner. We have a lot of depth at forward in the sort of skilled checking line forward Jenner projects to be. We can win with the people we have if Bob comes close to this season. There will be injuries. He'll get his chance to come up after he's been playing PRO hockey every day. He'll be more ready, more confident and more likely to succeed.

I can see McIlhenny as a backup. He was outstanding in Springfield. York was good there too, but our call ups prove Springfield has a good blue line. Let York develop. The bigger question is can McIlhenny adapt to playing now and then or does he need to be in net to play well. I don't think he'll sign with us unless he's offered a real shot in Columbus. Leighton can go unless he's
willing to sign a two way. And I think he knows he was a rental.

Pretty much run the same lines and pairings we ran at the end of the season. If it ain't broke, why fix it? We aren't drafting early enough to get immediate forward help from the draft so don't count on anything there in the short run. The real wild card will be trades and free agents.

And yes, free agents. We're in the East, we're good and it's plain to see that with a couple more snipers with speed who are willing to play our checking style the Jackets could go a long way next year. Oddly Rick Nash seems a perfect fit for this team, thought that's impossible of course.

Given that our kids should develop more (particularly Atkinson) and we're playing better together we should score more next year without any changes. Our scoring seemed to improve at the end of the year, and for the right reasons.

Really it's just going to be tweak, fit the new guys in and hope Bob can be close to who he was. If so next year will be our best year ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad